Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
  1. PEARL EXX

Victory meaning no more occupation because Germany did placed Denmark under direct military occupation so I see any relief from that is a victory.

2. The Sensitone Guy

My wife was born and raised in West Germany. Her Dad (now deceased) talked about WWII. The German Army would send prisoners to work his father's farm every day. Free labor. His family fed them well, treated them as respected guests and gave them light work. When the guards picked them up at the end of the day, his Dad would scream and yell at the prisoners, treating them like crapola. The prisoners knew the game and would play along.

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    My wife was born and raised in West Germany. Her Dad (now deceased) talked about WWII. The German Army would send prisoners to work his father's farm every day. Free labor. His family fed them well, treated them as respected guests and gave them light work. When the guards picked them up at the end of the day, his Dad would scream and yell at the prisoners, treating them like crapola. The prisoners knew the game and would play along.
    There must be thousands upon thousands of stories just like that one. And to think out a good part of our current population would side with the Germans now. Absolutely sickening.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Usurper Title

Quote Originally Posted by K_50 View Post
    My neighbourhood is pretty awesome! I grew up just around the corner, so it's very much my hood . The street I live on now is sometimes referred to as "Little Paris", due to the many sidewalk cafés, and the fact that there is a school for French expats' kids.
    The only downside is that I can only afford living here by sharing a flat with three other people...
    I love those streets packed with little cafés. And the architecture that generally surrounds them. It's my rose-tinted mental image of Europe.

Oh man, cost of housing is exploding over here, so I feel you on that.

5. PDF FF Champion 2014

I love the city living in parts of Europe; the cafes, the interspersed neighborhoods and light commercial, etc. The ability to take a short walk to access public transport is amazing too. I have to drive everywhere in my current town if I want to run any errands, I guess that's the downside to North American living.

Re: housing prices, we're thinking of moving later this year and with the latest increases, our equity would probably let us buy a house in cash in our proposed next location, purely due to relentless demand. It's bizarre and a totally irrational market.

6. Usurper Title

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Re: housing prices, we're thinking of moving later this year and with the latest increases, our equity would probably let us buy a house in cash in our proposed next location, purely due to relentless demand. It's bizarre and a totally irrational market.
    Bizarre is an understatement. We've only been in our place for about five months, but the recent sale prices on comparables in the area suggest we could expect 20% more than what we bought it for if we put it up for sale today. Most people who bought just 2-3 years ago have seen their homes double in value.

If I were willing to abandon all my friends, my career, and my partner (who steadfastly refuses to), I'd sell it and move back to my hometown where the proceeds (of squatting in a house for five months) would be a cozy 50%+ down payment on something similar or better.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NO DRUMS View Post
    Victory meaning no more occupation because Germany did placed Denmark under direct military occupation so I see any relief from that is a victory.
    I see.
    Where in Denmark is your brother located?

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

As I watch the Phillies.....

Name:  58AD2962-9A81-41D8-9E41-1EA16B3C9247.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  48.6 KB

9. PEARL EXX

Quote Originally Posted by K_50 View Post
    I see.
    Where in Denmark is your brother located?
    Copenhagen

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NO DRUMS View Post
    Copenhagen
    No bad place to be on a day like today

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    As I watch the Phillies.....

Name:  58AD2962-9A81-41D8-9E41-1EA16B3C9247.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  48.6 KB
    I have only the slightest passing interest in baseball and no interest in other sports. That meme is the best thing I’ve ever seen to sum up how I feel about them.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I have only the slightest passing interest in baseball and no interest in other sports. That meme is the best thing I’ve ever seen to sum up how I feel about them.
    I love sports but am not obsessed with them. My co-workers tho... ho boy. It’s like the only thing they talk about. I refer to it as “Sportsball”.
    Way Too Much Crap