Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

I love first world problems! My biggest dilemma atm:

Do I A: Sell the two perfectly good kits I have now, so I can buy a Tama Superstar shell bank?

Or B: Keep the two perfectly good kits I have, and still be happy?

2. Registered User

My first ebay purchase - A "new" stem for the Wheeler

3. Drumming Since 1943

You must be one tall mofo!
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    You must be one tall mofo!
    Pictures are deceiving. It's a 17" frame, and I'm 5'10" on a good day

5. Drumming Since 1943

Ah.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

A Sunday ride out to an old tip, some 15 minutes away from my place, which has grown wild since it was abandoned. A good place to get into some leisurely xc riding; and to find a nice spot in the sun, get some peace and quiet, and read a book.

7. Registered User

I want a 24-inch champagne sparkle Ludwig with a B/O badge. I want a rail mount and a cymbal mount, and it has to be a three-ply shell. I’ve seen maybe three of them in the past five years and they’ve all sold for over $1,500. Am I crazy to consider selling my vintage collection in order to afford that drum the next time it comes along?

I’ve been collecting vintage champagne sparkle Ludwigs for a few years now and I have every size I want except the 24-inch kick. When I first started collecting I was only interested in a few specific sizes and I was fine with player-quality pieces instead of collector’s pieces. But now that I’ve had these beaters for a few years I would like to upgrade them. I would hate to lose my collection, but I think I would be happy with my decision once I got THE bass.

Would it be nuts to sell 10 drums just to wait patiently, possibly for years, to find my dream drum?
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

8. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I want a 24-inch champagne sparkle Ludwig with a B/O badge. I want a rail mount and a cymbal mount, and it has to be a three-ply shell. I’ve seen maybe three of them in the past five years and they’ve all sold for over $1,500. Am I crazy to consider selling my vintage collection in order to afford that drum the next time it comes along?

I’ve been collecting vintage champagne sparkle Ludwigs for a few years now and I have every size I want except the 24-inch kick. When I first started collecting I was only interested in a few specific sizes and I was fine with player-quality pieces instead of collector’s pieces. But now that I’ve had these beaters for a few years I would like to upgrade them. I would hate to lose my collection, but I think I would be happy with my decision once I got THE bass.

Would it be nuts to sell 10 drums just to wait patiently, possibly for years, to find my dream drum?
    If you’re willing to “wait patiently, possibly for years...” then why not just save up the money so you can buy it when you find it?
    Then sell off the pieces you no longer need to help recoup the cost.

9. Usurper Title

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    If you’re willing to “wait patiently, possibly for years...” then why not just save up the money so you can buy it when you find it?
    This guy knows.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    I’m putting aside what we can afford but that’s a very, very long-term game. If after five years it comes up, great. If in six months, one year, three years, no chance. Can’t bridge the gap between savings and the cost of the drum. And that’s just if it’s the kick by itself. If it’s paired with other drums it might be $2,500 for the whole kit and we’re talking about seven years to have the money together.

If I price everything to sell I’m confident I could unload the entire collection in a month or two and still come away with over $1,500. If I priced everything competitively it would take longer but $2k would be feasible.

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I’m putting aside what we can afford but that’s a very, very long-term game. If after five years it comes up, great. If in six months, one year, three years, no chance. Can’t bridge the gap between savings and the cost of the drum. And that’s just if it’s the kick by itself. If it’s paired with other drums it might be $2,500 for the whole kit and we’re talking about seven years to have the money together.

If I price everything to sell I’m confident I could unload the entire collection in a month or two and still come away with over $1,500. If I priced everything competitively it would take longer but $2k would be feasible.
    Am I reading this correctly in that it would take you SEVEN YEARS to save $2500?
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Am I reading this correctly in that it would take you SEVEN YEARS to save $2500?
    Yes. For a non-essential purchase like a drum we could afford $30 a month.