Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by K_50 View Post
    It's a 32t - the middle ring from the OG triple chainset. With an 11-32 cassette it gives me a good range, from cruising in the high gears to going up some steep hills in the low ones.
    Got it. Been thinking of changing my gearing as of late.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Blind and Faithless

My single-speed is 32t x 18t. I can't go very fast, but I can still climb. I like it; it's a decent balance for me. I also was using a gimmicky oval ring, but having went back to a regular 32t now I realize how big a difference it actually made.

That said, single-speed sucks. I miss gears. But I have gotten better at climbing with it.

3. PDF FF Champion 2014

I had a nice 100km ride today on the road. This is my 4th intense day in a row so tomorrow is going to be nice and restful.
    Name:  20210404_121723_HDR.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  121.0 KB

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    I had a nice 100km ride today on the road. This is my 4th intense day in a row so tomorrow is going to be nice and restful.
    Name:  20210404_121723_HDR.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  121.0 KB
    bro where do you live now that looks amazing!

5. Registered User

I miss going to concerts!
    According to Ye Book of Faces, I saw Siberian Meat Grinder 4 years ago today.

6. PDF FF Champion 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Roar! View Post
    bro where do you live now that looks amazing!
    Bro, it's been forever! I live in Utah, there's so much gorgeous scenery. This lake has a shrinking frozen layer right now as we head further into spring. It's eye candy.

7. Registered User

After eight years my Zeppelin tribute band has broken up. Yeesh.

Its's been a long time coming, really. The keyboard player announced that he no longer wanted to play live and would be leaving the group. The bandleader/lead guitar nuked the group on the spot and told the keys player their friendship is over, which has devastated the keyboard player. He's racked with guilt over it.

Our bandleader cultivated a pretty toxic environment. He would call out members by name for marking days as unavailable on the calendar. He would withhold information from members in an effort to get the group to commit to a booking, and then reveal it wouldn't pay or that it was a four-hour show. He even refused generous pay offers, taking less as a gesture of "good will," as if he was doing anything but allowing the group to be taken advantage of and encouraging it to happen again in the future. He had no respect for anyone else's time or desires; he only wanted to play any show he could get his hands on.

He also ran off our rhythm player because the rhythm player's bookings were met with excitement from the rest of the group. They paid very well and they had built-in crowds. That continued until the bandleader refused any more of his bookings, driving the rhythm player out. Like with the keyboard player yesterday, when the rhythm player quit the bandleader told him to never contact him again. That was in late 2018.

All of that stuff sucks, but if the music is good you can put up with a lot. Unfortunately, the music has gotten worse and worse over time. Once the rhythm player left the bandleader refused to add another guitar but would also use the lack of a rhythm player as an excuse to veto learning certain songs or adding others back into the set. The real issue was his refusal to acknowledge his own declining abilities, thinking that to admit there was a problem would be worse than doing something about it. This resulted in our last showing being a 3.5-hour marathon where we played 33 songs over two sets, but the second set was 6 new numbers and 11 repeats from the first set.

If not for my friendship with the singer and keyboard player I would have quit a long time ago. The $80 payouts for an eight-hour commitment from load-in to load-out certainly wasn't keeping me invested.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    After eight years my Zeppelin tribute band has broken up. Yeesh.

Its's been a long time coming, really. The keyboard player announced that he no longer wanted to play live and would be leaving the group. The bandleader/lead guitar nuked the group on the spot and told the keys player their friendship is over, which has devastated the keyboard player. He's racked with guilt over it.

Our bandleader cultivated a pretty toxic environment. He would call out members by name for marking days as unavailable on the calendar. He would withhold information from members in an effort to get the group to commit to a booking, and then reveal it wouldn't pay or that it was a four-hour show. He even refused generous pay offers, taking less as a gesture of "good will," as if he was doing anything but allowing the group to be taken advantage of and encouraging it to happen again in the future. He had no respect for anyone else's time or desires; he only wanted to play any show he could get his hands on.

He also ran off our rhythm player because the rhythm player's bookings were met with excitement from the rest of the group. They paid very well and they had built-in crowds. That continued until the bandleader refused any more of his bookings, driving the rhythm player out. Like with the keyboard player yesterday, when the rhythm player quit the bandleader told him to never contact him again. That was in late 2018.

All of that stuff sucks, but if the music is good you can put up with a lot. Unfortunately, the music has gotten worse and worse over time. Once the rhythm player left the bandleader refused to add another guitar but would also use the lack of a rhythm player as an excuse to veto learning certain songs or adding others back into the set. The real issue was his refusal to acknowledge his own declining abilities, thinking that to admit there was a problem would be worse than doing something about it. This resulted in our last showing being a 3.5-hour marathon where we played 33 songs over two sets, but the second set was 6 new numbers and 11 repeats from the first set.

If not for my friendship with the singer and keyboard player I would have quit a long time ago. The $80 payouts for an eight-hour commitment from load-in to load-out certainly wasn't keeping me invested.
    Tough break man. Playing in a band and enjoying it, is so dependent on the members being people you truly enjoy spending time with and even those situations, require so much effort to keep them going successfully. Like you said, when the music is exceptional, sometimes things can be ignored or compartmentalized, in the interest of making good music and taking the good with the bad. It sounds like you had fun playing in a Zep tribute band, maybe you should start one and pick the members yourself. Sounds like the forntman from this last band was a pain in the arse and someone who can remind you, when joining the next group, what personally types exist and what the tradeoffs are. On to the next project!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Tough break man. Playing in a band and enjoying it, is so dependent on the members being people you truly enjoy spending time with and even those situations, require so much effort to keep them going successfully. Like you said, when the music is exceptional, sometimes things can be ignored or compartmentalized, in the interest of making good music and taking the good with the bad. It sounds like you had fun playing in a Zep tribute band, maybe you should start one and pick the members yourself. Sounds like the forntman from this last band was a pain in the arse and someone who can remind you, when joining the next group, what personally types exist and what the tradeoffs are. On to the next project!
    Thanks dude. It's hard to find people who can agree on a goal and also have the work ethic necessary to make the music good while keeping the playing fun. Even when you do, it's not like it lasts forever.

I truly feel bad for the bandleader. He has a long history of running off band members but he's never ended the group as a result of someone quitting. Now he has no band and no one on his side to get through it with. For eight years this group was his baby, and it's gone in an instant.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    One thing I’ve learned from touring as much as I have: Yes, the music is important, but we need to remember that you spend 1 hour on stage and 23 hours hanging out. If you don’t like the people you play with, it all goes to hell.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    One thing I’ve learned from touring as much as I have: Yes, the music is important, but we need to remember that you spend 1 hour on stage and 23 hours hanging out. If you don’t like the people you play with, it all goes to hell.
    Trust me, been there and you're absolutely right. Sleeping in vans, on floors of strangers houses and in tents at festivals and hotel rooms and resorts all over the country. Its not for me, I tried. Unless I was with the guys I've been playing with for the last 10 years, even then it would be a challenge. Some people are built for that life, I'm not, definitely not at my current age.

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I had my second Moderna shot yesterday and I feel like crap.