Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’d bike to work as well but my issue it that i sweat like a wildebeest. Would need a shower as soon as I got there.
    I'd bike to work, but it's a 36 miles ride one way.

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I'd bike to work, but it's a 36 miles ride one way.
    Wow. Mine is less than a mile.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Blind and Faithless

The closest I've been to work was 6 miles, but 700ft of elevation change on winding back roads and no shoulder. So no bike, though I considered a motorcycle. Maybe one day, but I still don't trust people in cars.

I had about a 35 miles commute (one way) for a few years. I hated it. So, I took a new job were the closet job site to me is about 80 miles away. The difference is I now get paid for my commute.

4. Registered User

It's the price I pay to live out in the relative sticks. You have to go to the city to make any kind of money, but housing there is insane and traffic is a nightmare.

My wife and I both have 30+ mile commutes and have been doing them for years. It's not ideal, but it beats living in the county that we work in.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    It's the price I pay to live out in the relative sticks. You have to go to the city to make any kind of money, but housing there is insane and traffic is a nightmare.

My wife and I both have 30+ mile commutes and have been doing them for years. It's not ideal, but it beats living in the county that we work in.
    Since covid, my wife’s been commuting from bed to the kitchen to do her work.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I've always wished I could ride bike to work. It'd make the commute actually enjoyable.

But, living in America I absolutely refuse to bike on roads. Most of our roads aren't built for it, and I don't trust other drivers at all.
    I'd probably feel the same way if I lived in America. But I live in "the most bike friendly city in the world", and have most of my friends, my immediate family, and my job all within a 10 km. radius. So riding a bike is the fastest way for me to get around. Also, drivers here are used to sharing the roads with cyclists, and generally do their best not to hit us.
    By far most of the dangerous situations I've found myself in have been caused by other cyclists (most often middle-aged or older people who think wearing a helmet, and going slowly makes it safe to ride with their heads up their backsides). Like the guy with a kid on the back of his bike, going at most 20 kph., pulling out to overtake a taxi bike without looking back, just as I'm about to overtake him at 35 kph, forcing me to jump the curb into the bus lane of one of the most busy roads in the city. Something that happened at least once a week on my commute a few years ago, and the reason why I sold my road bike (I became scared of taco-ing those flimsy 700x25c wheels at speed).
    It was a nice ride, though. 10 km. with a cyclist/pedestrian bridge across the harbour at the midway point. I used to leave for work 10 minutes early so I could sit there for a cigarette, and some peace and quiet before the day started.

And on the way home, if the weather was nice.

7. PDF FF Champion 2014

I visited Copenhagen a few years back, and I'm very jealous of the bike scene. I live in a bike friendly-ish place in the US but it's still risky on the roads. It's better to choose an off-road MTB or gravel riding adventure. I wish it could be a bigger part of everyday life here but it's just not practical with the hazards from cars.

8. old dog, new tricks

brilliant full band cover of a classic Dream Theatre tune and the drummer absolutely SLAYS it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz7NgQvcHGU
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    brilliant full band cover of a classic Dream Theatre tune and the drummer absolutely SLAYS it.

Agreed. Effortless to boot. And the singer!
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post

I was admiring how well the drummer was playing, then at 6:30, she managed to cover MP's part with one hand instead of two, and take a drink, as if it was nothing. She's a great player!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I was admiring how well the drummer was playing, then at 6:30, she managed to cover MP's part with one hand instead of two, and take a drink, as if it was nothing. She's a great player!
    Interesting how we have two different takes on this. That was done 50 years by Vinnie in Zappa with an element of tongue & cheek. Granted I’m not fan of DT, but her display actually turned me off for what looks to be a very good player.

I’ll be honest here though. She sounds like she’s been quantized.
    Last edited by dale w miller; 03-17-2021 at 05:31 AM.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Interesting how we have two different takes on this. That was done 50 years by Vinnie in Zappa with an element of tongue & cheek. Granted I’m not fan of DT, but her display actually turned me off for what looks to be a very good player.

I’ll be honest here though. She sounds like she’s been quantized.

“PHYSICS
    apply quantum theory to, especially form into quanta, in particular restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes.
    "light is quantized into packets of energy"

ELECTRONICS
    approximate (a continuously varying signal) by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of values.”

Um... huh Dale?
    Way Too Much Crap