Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
  1. PDF FF Champion 2014

Oh, this reminds me of a discussion my coworkers and I had once upon a time. Locally, a 4 year old child had reached through the backyard fence with a sock over his hand to play (taunt? unsure) with the 2 dogs who lived next door. I guess one of the two dogs mistook the hand for a tasty snack and bit the child's hand off. The hand was never found, presumably it was in one of the dog's stomachs. There was a lot of talk in the news about this incident and my coworkers and I were evenly divided on what should happen to the dogs.

The coworkers without children felt like it was a sucky situation but the kid shouldn't have put their hand through a fence and the hand being disguised by a sock could definitely confuse the dogs. Sad situation for the child, but ultimately he "trespassed" into the other yard and paid a bitter consequence.
    The coworkers with children were much more decisive that the dogs (both) should be immediately put down and one of the coworkers went so far as to say he would have gutted the dog immediately to retrieve the hand. I will note these coworkers were all men so there was a bit of machismo on display.

Ultimately, a petition circulated for the dogs to be spared and they were relocated out-of-state and remained alive for the time being. I imagine there was some sort of settlement with homeowner's insurance as well, but no further details were available.

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Oh, this reminds me of a discussion my coworkers and I had once upon a time. Locally, a 4 year old child had reached through the backyard fence with a sock over his hand to play (taunt? unsure) with the 2 dogs who lived next door. I guess one of the two dogs mistook the hand for a tasty snack and bit the child's hand off. The hand was never found, presumably it was in one of the dog's stomachs. There was a lot of talk in the news about this incident and my coworkers and I were evenly divided on what should happen to the dogs.

The coworkers without children felt like it was a sucky situation but the kid shouldn't have put their hand through a fence and the hand being disguised by a sock could definitely confuse the dogs. Sad situation for the child, but ultimately he "trespassed" into the other yard and paid a bitter consequence.
    The coworkers with children were much more decisive that the dogs (both) should be immediately put down and one of the coworkers went so far as to say he would have gutted the dog immediately to retrieve the hand. I will note these coworkers were all men so there was a bit of machismo on display.

Ultimately, a petition circulated for the dogs to be spared and they were relocated out-of-state and remained alive for the time being. I imagine there was some sort of settlement with homeowner's insurance as well, but no further details were available.
    What the......

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    What the......
    Happens more than you’d realize. From a purely legal standpoint, dogs did nothing wrong and there would be no action to be taken were it to happen in my state.

4. FKA Tasty808

Holy cow!!!

Obviously the child was at fault...

I think I should clarify that I’m not one of those overprotective, psycho dads that’s going to clean his gun when his daughter brings her first date over... if she pokes the dog and he nips at her, she learns a lesson (hopefully).

I’ve heard of dogs snapping and losing all domestication over a toy or some ****. I love my dogs, they’re family, but nothing compares to the crazy emo BS that makes me [literally] weep as I look into my daughter’s eyes when its my turn to get up with her and feed her a bottle. If one of my dogs attacked Macy without provocation? It’s the end of that dog. I’m capable of distinguishing.
    Last edited by Josh Conover; 06-12-2021 at 03:15 AM.

5. PDF FF Champion 2014

Ya man, I didn't think you were talking about violence, I hear you. Sometimes dogs don't mesh well with some (younger) family members and it's time to find the dog a new family and remove them from the situation before something major happens.

[rant] I've been fortunate to always have docile dogs, but occasionally an aggressive dog approaches us while we're walking in the park. There was a pit mix that used to terrorize me and my husband and our calls to Animal Control went unheeded, but luckily the owners moved away. Side note: **** my city's animal control, I sent them pictures and videos, they did nothing. Then when I called again they said my pictures were too old so they can't be used as evidence. Testimony is evidence.... urgghhh [/rant]

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Ya man, I didn't think you were talking about violence, I hear you. Sometimes dogs don't mesh well with some (younger) family members and it's time to find the dog a new family and remove them from the situation before something major happens.

[rant] I've been fortunate to always have docile dogs, but occasionally an aggressive dog approaches us while we're walking in the park. There was a pit mix that used to terrorize me and my husband and our calls to Animal Control went unheeded, but luckily the owners moved away. Side note: **** my city's animal control, I sent them pictures and videos, they did nothing. Then when I called again they said my pictures were too old so they can't be used as evidence. Testimony is evidence.... urgghhh [/rant]
    Animal Control is a pesky business. While the field has progressed significantly in the last fifty years, the laws and local ordinances have not.

If a dog was aggressive as hell towards others but was leashed and under control of it's owner, there was nothing I could do about it. It isn't illegal to own an aggressive animal. Throw in the fact that animals are generally considered property in most states, and you realize that you really can't win as an ACO.

It's a lose-lose field.

7. PDF FF Champion 2014

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Animal Control is a pesky business. While the field has progressed significantly in the last fifty years, the laws and local ordinances have not.

If a dog was aggressive as hell towards others but was leashed and under control of it's owner, there was nothing I could do about it. It isn't illegal to own an aggressive animal. Throw in the fact that animals are generally considered property in most states, and you realize that you really can't win as an ACO.

It's a lose-lose field.
    Ya, all of my negative dog interactions have been with dogs that are not leashed. Luckily the super aggressive dog's owner moved away so the problem solved itself.

On a lighter note, the dog that moved into that house is a big bulldog (I refer to it as "The Meatball"). One day I'm walking my dog past their fenced in front yard and The Meatball comes blazing across the yard, snarling and ready to attack. My dog turns and barks, and then The Meatball goes full send right into the fence post and bounces off, landing about 12 feet away. It then scurried away, amazed by the power of my dog's bark. Since then it postures (in its own yard) a healthy distance away from my old boy.

8. Drumming Since 1943

Dogs rule. People suck.

Next subject.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. PDF Renaissance man!

Not exactly a subject but worth a mention for the 'regulars'!

BA(Hons) in Music Industry Practice - Completed it mate
    End of 3 years of Music college, most of which was in pandemic mode, now to get on with life again and get back out there playing and teaching

And thanks to restrictions easing a little over here, did some gigs this past couple of weeks. Most recently backing a Coldplay tribute (yes, I know!) and last night backing a Bryan Adams tribute

Name:  IMG_2063.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  410.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2118.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  471.8 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

10. Registered User

Good to see you playing out again. Hopefully it becomes more frequent.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on Alesis E-drums, specifically the Strike Pro SE?

11. Drumming Since 1943

That’s awesome Charlie!! Good for you and congrats! You deserve all accolades.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Not exactly a subject but worth a mention for the 'regulars'!

BA(Hons) in Music Industry Practice - Completed it mate
    End of 3 years of Music college, most of which was in pandemic mode, now to get on with life again and get back out there playing and teaching

And thanks to restrictions easing a little over here, did some gigs this past couple of weeks. Most recently backing a Coldplay tribute (yes, I know!) and last night backing a Bryan Adams tribute
    Congrats Charlie on the accomplishment. Way to go!
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals