Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 96 of 118 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,152 of 1410
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I was across the river in Rutherford, NJ. My office building looked due East to Manhattan. I watched them silently fall. My wife was in Manhattan that day. She came across the river to Hoboken on a ferry with injured people on it. It’s a day that will never be forgotten.
    Were y'all together at the time? I can't imagine knowing my wife being anywhere near something like that, how helpless you would feel.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I was in fifth grade. Had an exchange teacher from Canada. She talked about how she had visited the towers on her way down.

I didn't understand it then, but as an adult, realizing that that one day launched my entire generation into a twenty year war is a hard pill to swallow. The losses that day were tremendous. But the price my generation paid as a result is equally as bad.
    For any Norm MacDonald fans... That 9/11 was a real jerk!

We live in absolutely insane times because there are people who saw the worst tragedy to ever befall our country and they immediately decided to make money off it.

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

3. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    For any Norm MacDonald fans... That 9/11 was a real jerk!

We live in absolutely insane times because there are people who saw the worst tragedy to ever befall our country and they immediately decided to make money off it.
    Do some research into who made money on 9-11 with both shorting stocks and insurance on the buildings themselves and it will terrify you that we live in a world with people who would do such things.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

4. old dog, new tricks

In other news, saw Dune yesterday. It was fantastic and everything I wish Star Wars could have been. Science Fiction/Fantasy done correctly.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    In other news, saw Dune yesterday. It was fantastic and everything I wish Star Wars could have been. Science Fiction/Fantasy done correctly.
    Are you a fan of the series? I haven't looked into how well it's been received by fans.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Were y'all together at the time? I can't imagine knowing my wife being anywhere near something like that, how helpless you would feel.
    Yep. Married for 4 years at that point. Talk about helpless.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. old dog, new tricks

Are you a fan of the series? I haven't looked into how well it's been received by fans.
    I've never read the books, though I probably should. I was a fan of the Lynch 'Dune' film as well but the new one is really, really great.

In other news, this is the best ACDC cover I've ever seen. Dude absolutely kills it in every regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ozYDSmn9Y8

8. Registered User

Also saw dune - Really enjoyed it. I've read the first two books. The first is amazing, everyone should read it. The second one is absolutely horrendous.

9. Registered User

I recorded with my two oldest friends this weekend. We grew up learning to play music together and our first band lasted six years. It was great to reconnect with them and I love the songs... but I'm very disappointed in how my tracks came out.

I recorded to a scratch track and then everything else was put on top. You can tell I'm not playing with a band and I'm trying to fill space. Just little odds and ends that don't add to the song. It's not like I was showing off, just interrupting the flow. God, it's a drag. It's like 90% there but that 10% is driving me up the wall. I really like the songs and want to do so much better by them.

The writer loves them, though. At least there's that.

10. Drumming Since 1943

I recorded with my two oldest friends this weekend. We grew up learning to play music together and our first band lasted six years. It was great to reconnect with them and I love the songs... but I'm very disappointed in how my tracks came out.

I recorded to a scratch track and then everything else was put on top. You can tell I'm not playing with a band and I'm trying to fill space. Just little odds and ends that don't add to the song. It's not like I was showing off, just interrupting the flow. God, it's a drag. It's like 90% there but that 10% is driving me up the wall. I really like the songs and want to do so much better by them.

The writer loves them, though. At least there's that.
    If you served the song and pleased the writer than what you think almost doesn’t matter. I know, we’re our own worst critics but sometimes you have to look at the big picture.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    If you served the song and pleased the writer than what you think almost doesn’t matter. I know, we’re our own worst critics but sometimes you have to look at the big picture.
    Yeah, I just wish I could be proud to show it to other drummers!

12. Experienced Noob

Yeah, I just wish I could be proud to show it to other drummers!
    Don't waste your energy worrying about that. It doesn't matter how or what you play: If you share with drummers someone will find fault regardless. It's got no groove, it's too in the pocket, it's showing off, it's not playing for the song, blah, blah, blah. You'll never win with us. You're much better off worrying about what your band mates think. We are the worst, most inconsistent judges of drumming you could ever try to earn the respect of.