Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Help me figure out how to make my custom snare NOT sound bad!

This Is a pearl fibreglass shell that was cut down; it is 14 x 6.25. I have attached pictures of the edge. I think these need to be re-cut because the drum sounds just terrible. The heads are both brand new. What edging and snare wires would you recommendFor this drum? The edges are a 45 on the inside but are flat on the outside. The snare sound dead.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

I think some form of round overer wouldn't go a miss on the edges. You should'er really have head contacting finish. As far as wires go, really depends what sort of sound you're after. Puresound Custom Pros are always a good start for any drum.
    Last edited by RushDrums24; 11-21-2020 at 05:07 AM.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

Your choice of wires should depend on the type of snare beds you have.

4. Registered User

I cut 45s on both sides; it sounds a lot better. I’m thinking about upgrading from Gibraltar 24(I think) strands to pure sounds; good idea? How do you pick a wire?
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    I cut 45s on both sides; it sounds a lot better. I’m thinking about upgrading from Gibraltar 24(I think) strands to pure sounds; good idea? How do you pick a wire?
    What type of snare beds does the snare have? Deep and narrow? Shallow and wide? Something in between? Pick a wire that best suits the type of snare bed you have. Deep narrow snare beds work better with a wire with less strands and pitched ends. Wide shallow snare beds work better with a wire with non-pitched ends and can accommodate more strands. Also, do you want a wire that is plated (chrome) or unplated. The unplated wires sound dryer (more white noise-ish) where as the plated wires sound brighter and more crisp. Tuning, drum head type, type of hoops all play a factor too in how the snare wires will respond.

6. PEARL EXX

It’s a custom snare, mix it up the way you want too. That’s the fun of customizing you snare as long as you get the sound that is pleasing to you.

7. Registered User

The snare bed is small - 2 inches wide and not very deep. The snare kinda sounds like a tom wire wires. I’ve only played my 15x8 so maybe my ears are just acclimatized to that and this snare sounds ‘off’ to me. There also isn’t an air vent , which I’ve heard can make a drum sound flat.

I’d prefer a brighter sound. Maybe puresounds with less strands and a vent hole will
    Make a difference?