Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. PEARL EXX

Default Drum heads durability

This maybe a dumb question but here it is, I notice when I visit a music store that has drum sets they seem to stack some of the drums like pancakes. Iíve seen five and in some cases seven on top of each other. Iím thinking that it would put stress on the drum heads especially the lower ones. Is that a good practice if you were to leave them in that position for months or even years? Wouldnít that stretch out the drum heads? Thanks

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by NO DRUMS View Post
    This maybe a dumb question but here it is, I notice when I visit a music store that has drum sets they seem to stack some of the drums like pancakes. I’ve seen five and in some cases seven on top of each other. I’m thinking that it would put stress on the drum heads especially the lower ones. Is that a good practice if you were to leave them in that position for months or even years? Wouldn’t that stretch out the drum heads? Thanks
    I’m not sure of the specific science behind it but that has ALWAYS seemed like a bad idea- especially for the poor kick on the bottom. Seems to me it’d not only stress the heads of each drum but after a while potentially ruin the bearing edges.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. A Passion Play ...

Yeah I am not a fan of stacking drums directly on
    the heads. When we lived in San Francisco space
    was minimal so I had a drum cabinet. I used pieces
    of shelving to do the stacking. Worked good.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Drum sales/service

I've worked at a music store for nearly 17 years, and I've never had a problem stacking drums. However, I only do it with used beginner level kits. The heads can take a tremendous amount of stress without issue. Granted, we're lucky enough to have pretty decent turnover, so they're never sitting stacked for more than a few months.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Pearl EXX Electric Blue Sparkle

5. PEARL EXX

Quote Originally Posted by PercWorld View Post
    I've worked at a music store for nearly 17 years, and I've never had a problem stacking drums. However, “””””I only do it with used beginner level kits. The heads can take a tremendous amount of stress without issue“””””. Granted, we're lucky enough to have pretty decent turnover, so they're never sitting stacked for more than a few months.
    Wouldn’t the used sets already have wear on them or are the drum heads on them thicker?

6. Music Lover

I have my drums stacked at home in their bags/cases. I put two empty bass drum head boxes between the floor tom and the bass drum. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian XS20, AA, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

It never made me comfortable to do that though I have plenty of times, too many times to count. It’s one of 2 reasons I had shelves built that I did.