Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Rogue Ex-Mod

My basement is still mostly unfinished, although I have a lot of rugs down in the music room. He needs to get some nice earplugs that will lower the volume and not muffle the sound too much. Honestly the VF ones are fine for that, but there's better ones out there. You need to play at full volume with actual sticks if that's how the gigs are going to go and he needs some hearing protection. I've played plenty of gigs in loud rooms with concrete floors so this is an issue he's going to encounter live and he'll have to deal with it sooner or later.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

2. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    To clarify the ear protection: I always use ear protection when I play. The guitar player did not bring anything; so I offered him some heavy duty ear protection I have for woodwork; a bit much for playing music. I offered them to him again and he did not want to use them because it muffled everything.

I think his problem is not wearing ear protection around a drum set.
    Sounds like he needs some good ear plugs/protectors.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

1. Recognize that no matter what you do to the room, until the basement is completely finished, it’s going to be loud.
    2. I definitely agree with others you’re going to have to muffle the hell out of your drums.
    3. I also agree you need to be incessant about him wearing earplugs.
    4. I think playing with someone or some where else will have to be done if these suggestions don’t satisfy him as you can’t play an entire set of rock with brushes. It’s against the law.
    Last edited by dale w miller; 10-07-2020 at 03:09 AM.

4. Registered User

Brushes.
    Every non-drummer's answer to volume.

None of them seem to understand its a completely different sound and technique than sticks.
    Skill with one form, does not guarantee skill with the other.
    And Dale is right, you can't play rock with brushes.

Ask your guitarist if he will finger-pick every song instead of using a pick. That's about the same as asking you to use brushes. Maybe he'll get it then.

Unless you're playing with Mark Knopfler in which case, I retract my comparison.

5. PEARL EXX

Are the drums too loud for his ears or are the drums drowning his bass out.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by NO DRUMS View Post
    Are the drums too loud for his ears or are the drums drowning his bass out.
    If that’s the case, turn his amp up!
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

The way I like to do it, is to mic everyone, and send them a separate monitor mix that they can control. This way you can have as much of each player in your headphones that you want, and still have the volume at a safe level. Tinnitus is for tough guys, and they can have it.

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    The way I like to do it, is to mic everyone, and send them a separate monitor mix that they can control. This way you can have as much of each player in your headphones that you want, and still have the volume at a safe level. Tinnitus is for tough guys, and they can have it.
    I don’t have tinnitus but I do have some hearing loss. If someone mumbles, I cant pick it up. If there’s a song on in a crowded restaurant (pre-covid of course), I cant pick out the melody. I know there’s a song playing but the nuances are lost. Sucks but I know it could be MUCH worse.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I don’t have tinnitus but I do have some hearing loss. If someone mumbles, I cant pick it up. If there’s a song on in a crowded restaurant (pre-covid of course), I cant pick out the melody. I know there’s a song playing but the nuances are lost. Sucks but I know it could be MUCH worse.
    I get mild ringing in my ears from time to time. I wear hearing protection for all loud activities now.

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    I get mild ringing in my ears from time to time. I wear hearing protection for all loud activities now.
    As do I. Issue is that it changes my perception of how my drums and cymbals sound. Consequently, I’ll play differently.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. PEARL EXX

I must be doing something wrong because while I’m playIng drums I can be talking to someone in the same room.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NO DRUMS View Post
    I must be doing something wrong because while I’m playIng drums I can be talking to someone in the same room.
    Haha yeah, I’d say so!
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."