Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Drums too loud for guitar player: what do?

Hi all:

Been playing with a guitar player who asks me to play quieter/with brushes. He says the drums are too loud, the sound bounces everywhere, etc. We are playing rock music.

Were in my basements with concrete floors. My drums are on a carpet. Im playing a large concert tom set with a 24 kick drum.

Please give me advice. I asked if he could bring a larger amp and doesnt seem interested. I told him I dont want to play with brushes as its not fun. Id rather not play.
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

2. The Hardware Guy

Concert toms are going to be louder, for the most part, than double headed toms, so you might think about that. For the "sound bouncing everywhere", rugs on the walls, egg boxes, that sort of normal room treatment.

But far easier would be wearing ear plugs. Decent ones that attenuate volume (and roll that high end attack off) while still letting you hear what's going on. I have a pair I wear at gigs and my concert-going life is so much nicer since I started using them. No more ringing ears the next day, and just more enjoyable during the show.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. Unban nik12

If yall want to play rock music and is complaining about the drums being too loud, hes not a real rocker.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    If yall want to play rock music and is complaining about the drums being too loud, hes not a real rocker.
    This is my immediate attitude, but I want to check myself.
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    If y’all want to play rock music and is complaining about the drums being too loud, he’s not a real rocker.
    I’ve run into guys like this over the years and it’s always so weird. How does someone play guitar, want to be in a rock band, and then get scared when doing it at volume?

I guess some guys just aren’t cut out for it.
    Last edited by TheElectricCompany; 10-04-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

6. Registered User

Without ear protection a kit with concert tons and a 24” kick in a concrete basement with low ceilings is easily going to approach painful SPL levels. I wouldn’t want to be in that space either. If you don’t want to do proper sound treatment, you can use mattresses and hanging moving blankets up to help absorb the high and mid frequencies. You both should be wearing hearing protection or I guarantee you you are permanently damaging your hearing.

7. Pearl & Zildjian

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    Hi all:

Been playing with a guitar player who asks me to play quieter/with brushes. He says the drums are too loud, the sound bounces everywhere, etc. We are playing rock music.

Were in my basements with concrete floors. My drums are on a carpet. Im playing a large concert tom set with a 24 kick drum.

Please give me advice. I asked if he could bring a larger amp and doesnt seem interested. I told him I dont want to play with brushes as its not fun. Id rather not play.
    I had the same problem with my current band. My kit at the rehearsal room has powertom sizes (12x12-13x13-16x16 bassdrum is 22x18) and although i hit them much less harder then my kit at home or when playing out they still kept complayning about being too loud. Our rehearsal space is also located at a concrete basement. What i ended up doing is : ask your girlfriend, wife, mom whoever, for some used fabric, like old sheets or something like that. Get some thin fabric, lay them out on the floor take your drumheads off and put them on the fabric. Use a pen and draw the size of each drumhead on that fabric. now use a scissors and cut those "dampening heads" out of the fabric. Put your original drumheads back and tune them the way they were before. Put those fabric dampening heads over them (use some tape) and your done. Sound is much quieter but still loud enough to hear and play. Put some extra sheets in your bassdrum. And for the cymbals you could use moongels like i did. Really shortens the sustain.

Below is a pic of my kit at the rehearsalroom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pearl Vision VSX & Zildjian & Paiste Cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !

8. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I’ve run into guys like this over the years and it’s always so weird. How does someone play guitar, want to be in a rock band, and then get scared when doing it at volume?

I guess some guys just aren’t cut out for it.
    It's not about being cut out for it (or being too old, or being a wuss, etc). Some people have different hearing/volume tolerances than other people. I ruined my ears when I was younger: playing in tiny rehearsal spaces with amps turned up to 10'; playing gigs with two stacks of monitors behind me (two 3x 12 towers) blasting out as loud as the PA, and al with no hearing protection. Let me tell you, tinnitus is no joke, and it's a ***** to live with.

I wouldn't even dream of playing drums without some hearing protection nowadays. Either in-ear plugs or over-ear defenders (or over-ear studio headphones)

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

9. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    It's not about being cut out for it (or being too old, or being a wuss, etc). Some people have different hearing/volume tolerances than other people. I ruined my ears when I was younger: playing in tiny rehearsal spaces with amps turned up to 10'; playing gigs with two stacks of monitors behind me (two 3x 12 towers) blasting out as loud as the PA, and al with no hearing protection. Let me tell you, tinnitus is no joke, and it's a ***** to live with.

I wouldn't even dream of playing drums without some hearing protection nowadays. Either in-ear plugs or over-ear defenders (or over-ear studio headphones)
    I totally agree, op and guitar player should absolutely be wearing ear protection, but I don’t think that negates the idea that rock drums shouldn’t be loud and bombastic. It’s the name of the game.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

lol .. play with brushes? .. tell this guy to play an acoustic guitar and call it even .. lol

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post

I assumed they’re already wearing hearing protection. I know hardly anyone that doesn’t protect their ears when playing. The guys I’ve encountered who’ve been afraid of playing loudly were already wearing hearing protection and absolutely were wusses.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

12. Registered User

To clarify the ear protection: I always use ear protection when I play. The guitar player did not bring anything; so I offered him some heavy duty ear protection I have for woodwork; a bit much for playing music. I offered them to him again and he did not want to use them because it muffled everything.

I think his problem is not wearing ear protection around a drum set.