Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default end-game drum gear discussion

Hi all,

I'm a couple years into my career and making good coin; I want to start buying my end-game drum gear. I've flipped gear for years, using whatever I ended up with, and I'm going to buy some final-purchase, high end gear. Right now I'm going to buy a DW5000/9000 pedal; but otherwise I want to buy:

Hi-hat stand
    x4 boom stands
    Snare Stand (go-to snare is 15x8 and my current stand seems too high)

I have one nice Yamaha double-braced boom stand. It would be cheaper to just buy another 3 so they match. I mostly just play around in my basement. I have some stands I could keep for if/when I play gigs.

TL;DR: What high-end hardware do you like?
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

2. old dog, new tricks

Do you mean every piece of hardware from pedals to throne to stands? Right now I have a bit of a mix and will end up with a blend of Pearl, Yamaha, Gibraltar and Mapex on my finished setup.

If cost were no issue, I'd go all Ludwig Atlas Pro hardware, at least for stands. I love the versatility and the way they look but pretty much all high end hardware from every major drum company is great.
    You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

3. Pearl & Zildjian

when it comes about hardware i'm a Pearl guy.On my rehearsal room kit I have 3 boom stands (BC-830) , 1 straight stand (c-830) Pearl snare stand and Pearl hihat (older models but still working fine)
    Only non pearls is my current double bass pedal wich is a DW5000 (i'll replace that to Eliminators in the future)

My home kit is racked and also all Pearl

I had other brands of hardware in the past but to me Pearl is the best. Most durable and solid
    Pearl Vision VSX & Zildjian & Paiste Cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !

4. NO KIT TOO BIG

I've also always been a Pearl guy for hardware, both in studio and live I use Eliminator strap drive pedals, and 150 series Hi hat, boom and snare stands. For my tom stand I have an 830 series (sturdy but lightweight, I swapped the boom arm out for the 10" 830 mini boom too to keep it sleek) and my main snare stand is an 830 too.

I have an ICON rack, and some of the 1000 boom arms, as well as a 2000 snare stand too in my spares case for any time I need them, the snare stand is perfect for any odd diameter snares or any drum thats awkward to mount (Snares with wood hoops etc) but generally I stick with the light and compact gear. My only non-pearl items are my throne and tom clamp, I prefer the feel of the Natal seat over the pearl throne I had before (930?) and was never a fan of the old roadster stuff. I may try the new ones down the line but i'm more than contempt for the moment.

Name:  94657141_2515039512079758_5682026670710587392_n.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  78.5 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

5. Unban nik12

Tama Roadpro hardware is some of the most solid in the game, cheaper than most competition online! You can get a brand new boom or straight stand for $80, snare stand for $70, lots of good stuff you can find. If you’re fine with being a little more spendy, the Star hardware is amazingly adjustable and very solid.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

6. Blind and Faithless

I own hardware from Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, and Gibraltar. The only brand out of those I will not buy more hardware from is DW. For what you pay, the quality of their stuff just doesn't seem up to par with those other brands IMO. My experience is with their 9000 series. I'll second the Tama Roadpro stuff if you want something extremely durable (also very heavy).

7. Drumming Since 1943

My experience is with their 9000 series

Can you explain this?
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Blind and Faithless

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    My experience is with their 9000 series

Can you explain this?
    I own their 9000 series remote hi-hat. Only issue with the hi-hat itself is the cable frayed within the housing and became extremely sluggish (which is normal with remote hi-hats I believe). Maybe the hardware mount that comes with it isn't true to the "9000" series so I may be misjudging, but that's where I'm left unimpressed. The chrome plating has started to come off at places, the one bolt stripped and had be replaced, and the tube has gotten numerous scratches and deformed where it gets clamped.

Maybe I clamp too hard or change set ups too frequently. Maybe I'm too rough in general with my hardware--I do tend to just toss it in my hardware bag without any care. And the remote hi-hat stand did see a good bit of abuse. I used it as my primary hi-hat for 3-5 years, and during much of that time I was packing it up/transporting it almost weekly.

That said, I've given the same/more abuse to older stuff from Tama, Pearl, and Yamaha (I haven't owned my Gibraltar hardware for very long yet) and all that stuff has held up perfectly fine. Function-wise, the DW is fine. But for the price, I just don't feel like the quality is up to par with the other guys.

9. Registered User

Yamaha all the way in my opinion. Solid, light enough and highly functional. Tama and Pearl are very high quality but jiust feel bulky to me. No scientific proof to back that opinion though. DW I would agree, is overpriced. Love the Yamaha stuff but I'll use anything. Love SONOR drums and am a fan of the Rocket Launcher but not a fan of the cymbal and tom stands.

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Everyone is going to give various opinions on every line from every brand out there, so Im going to just share with you to get a Sound Seat throne. It is the Lamborghini of thrones and you will never have to replace it for the rest of your life. It has a very smooth hydraulic lift and leather tops that you can even get your name stitched in as well.

They are a great family company as well with the owner having personally calling me before I made my purchase. He was praised by everyone I know who knew him.

Edit: Sorry about the pictures being sideways.

https://www.soundseat.com/

Name:  26B20FEF-B3C0-4F3F-894F-D79C8F1C976D.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  08797F8A-CD72-476B-90D6-D4EB182C810D.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  A231A00A-F5F9-4428-B70A-D01043E6FC6A.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  26418885-67EC-4483-A6A7-998C1B9B0153.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  44.3 KB

11. formerly TubCrusher

2nd on the Soundseat..

Unfortunately, JR passed away a few years ago. However, I believe his wife has carried on with the company...
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
    2nd on the Soundseat..

Unfortunately, JR passed away a few years ago. However, I believe his wife has carried on with the company...
    Well how’s the guy gonna call me then?
    Way Too Much Crap