Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Pearl Free Floating Snare Disassembly (Newer type)

A problem, and a solution.

Due to an issue with the casting on the resonant side of my FFS, I had to order a replacement casting. Thomann offer this in their catalogue for those searching, https://www.thomann.de/gb/pearl_arc_...ng_chassis.htm

So far, so cool. It took a while to get the order through as it's a special, about three weeks.

Ok, so snare disassembly, everything is obvious right up until you want to remove the chrome tube posts from the aluminium (aluminum) ring.

Name:  IMG_8640_CROPPED.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  71.6 KB

From bitter experience with such things, no "tools" can be used as fairly obviously they will damage the chrome and there is no visible way to get any tool on them anyway. So what to do?

My first thought was to get one of those jar openers and use that - but I really didn't know if it would work and I would have to wait a few days to get one from ebay. So what else did I have lying around?

To get purchase on the tube, it really had to be rubber, so off to the shed to find some.

I found a cut up bicycle inner tube I had used to stop something slipping on a tube before, so I coiled it around the post towards me, in other words the direction it would hopefully unscrew until the whole thing was in a coil around the tube. Wind it as tight as you can. Make sure the hex nut is seated in the hex recess the whole time or the cast ring could be damaged. Weirdly, it only worked if I coiled the whole length that I had which just about fitted comfortably into my closed grip. Now turn that sucker! You will feel some give in the whole thing as you twist, that's the rubber tightening around itself and the tube, kinda like a boa constrictor.

Name:  IMG_8645_CROPPED.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8644_CROPPED.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  44.2 KB

Slowly, it will unscrew, take your time, as I'm fairly certain there's a type of locking adhesive on those threads, it will unscrew.

Et Voila! Success.

Name:  IMG_8646.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  70.7 KB

Please note - that's residue from the rubber gloves I was wearing first off, not damage, I actually got two out just with the gloves.

Now all you have to do is clean the threads out (I used a dental pick) give them a polish, and you can re-assemble.

Unconventional, but cheap (as in free) and it works!

Enjoy.

2. a.k.a. YtseJam

You could also break the glue inside the threads with a heat gun.

3. Registered User

Sure, that might do it, might help with the clean up too. Just go steady on that rim, as far as I know it's painted.
    I tried white spirit on the glue, no effect whatsoever, I have a feeling some acetone or when acquired from a significant other "nail varnish remover" would have produced results, but again, go steady with that, it *shouldn't* affect chrome but I'm not a chemist.

4. formerly TubCrusher

I just used a socket on the top insert and the lug twisted right out....
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

5. Registered User

Interesting, does that mean the top inserts are a left-hand thread? Knowing my luck, if not, the top insert would unscrew! These were in tight.

6. formerly TubCrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Phillster View Post
    Interesting, does that mean the top inserts are a left-hand thread? Knowing my luck, if not, the top insert would unscrew! These were in tight.
    No they are right handed. Only one came loose on me....
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..