Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Blind and Faithless

Default Updates To My Yamahas

Within the past year or so I found both a 10x8 and a 14x10 to add to my kit. The 14" was is fairly poor shape, so I gave it a thorough cleaning + wax. Decided to give the entire kit the same treatment, plus new heads and suspension mounts for all the rack toms (will get new heads for snare/bass later). It's been a slow/tedious process stripping down the shells to clean, but I got these five done so far and I'm pretty proud of how the kit's looking.

Pearl Free-Floater maple
    14x6.5

Yamaha Tour Custom birch/mahogany
    18x14, 14x10, 12x8, 10x8

15" Zildjian Avedis hats
    22" Bettis
    18" Sabian HH
    22" Zildjian K Kerope
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Within the past year or so I found both a 10x8 and a 14x10 to add to my kit. The 14" was is fairly poor shape, so I gave it a thorough cleaning + wax. Decided to give the entire kit the same treatment, plus new heads and suspension mounts for all the rack toms (will get new heads for snare/bass later). It's been a slow/tedious process stripping down the shells to clean, but I got these five done so far and I'm pretty proud of how the kit's looking.

Pearl Free-Floater maple
    14x6.5

Yamaha Tour Custom birch/mahogany
    18x14, 14x10, 12x8, 10x8

15" Zildjian Avedis hats
    22" Bettis
    18" Sabian HH
    22" Zildjian K Kerope
    Nice restoration Spoon, I think they look great! Love the compact sizes as well. The type of kit you want to gig with!

3. FKA Tasty808

Really looks great dude! Glad to see you back and posting pics of my fave compact kit on the PDF!

It really makes me want to tinker with my kit... and also makes me wish they had the 18" kick in the Session Studio Select series to match the rest of my set ups.

4. Blind and Faithless

Thanks! Forgot to mention, I'm also open to suggestions for a new bass drum reso. Might try a more classic black reso, or maybe just coated white.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    and also makes me wish they had the 18" kick in the Session Studio Select series to match the rest of my set ups.
    I'm not in the market for a new kit so my opinion doesn't mean anything to Pearl, but the Session Studio Select would be my top choice as a new kit if it weren't for two factors: no 18" bass drum, unfinished bass drum hoops.

5. Playing since 1976

Thanks! Forgot to mention, I'm also open to suggestions for a new bass drum reso. Might try a more classic black reso, or maybe just coated white.
    My suggestion is to leave the reso head alone, as long as it fits the shell well. I have fiber-style resonant heads on my bass drums, and I think they add just the right amount of warmth and tone control, over typical PS3-style heads. The Yamaha kit looks really nice.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Blind and Faithless

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    My suggestion is to leave the reso head alone, as long as it fits the shell well. I have fiber-style resonant heads on my bass drums, and I think they add just the right amount of warmth and tone control, over typical PS3-style heads. The Yamaha kit looks really nice.
    How long do you use resonant bass heads for? I've changed the the batter head I believe once, but the resonant head is still the same one I put on when I got this kit like 8-9 years ago. I've changed tom batter heads maybe 4-5 times in that time period and snare heads about every year (resonant heads for tom/snare only changed twice).

I've been using Aquarian tom heads that whole time and decided to try Evans this time around. So was thinking the same for the bass--just want to try something new. But your right, the fiberskyn sounds great. I don't need any additional muffling, and it's the perfect balance of punch and tone for me.

7. Playing since 1976

How long do you use resonant bass heads for? I've changed the the batter head I believe once, but the resonant head is still the same one I put on when I got this kit like 8-9 years ago. I've changed tom batter heads maybe 4-5 times in that time period and snare heads about every year (resonant heads for tom/snare only changed twice).

I've been using Aquarian tom heads that whole time and decided to try Evans this time around. So was thinking the same for the bass--just want to try something new. But your right, the fiberskyn sounds great. I don't need any additional muffling, and it's the perfect balance of punch and tone for me.
    My bass drum heads are a couple years old now, and still sound good to me. I would only change a head if I didn't like it, or if was worn out or damaged. If the fiberskyn still sounds great, I would leave it alone. I have Aquarian heads on many of my toms now, and I really enjoy them.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. A Passion Play ...

Beautiful rig. The kind of setup that begs to be played. Well done.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

9. Registered User

My bass drum heads are a couple years old now, and still sound good to me. I would only change a head if I didn't like it, or if was worn out or damaged. If the fiberskyn still sounds great, I would leave it alone. I have Aquarian heads on many of my toms now, and I really enjoy them.
    Interested to hear youre using aquarian Matt. What made you try them out?

Also that kit is awesome.

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Interested to hear youre using aquarian Matt. What made you try them out?
    Mike Foreman recommended them to me, along with Chris from Drums on Sale. They are very similar to Remo and Evans. I wanted to try them because they make the clearest 1-ply heads that I'm aware of, Classic Clears. They are like Ambassador or G1, but really clear. I was using Genera Resonant on my timbale and concert toms, as a batter hear, but they are 7.5mil, like Diplomat, and I dented them up pretty quickly. The 10mil Classic Clear sound better, and are more durable. The Aquarian Response 2 is comparable to the Emperor and G2. They sound great, and seem to stay in tune longer than Remo or Evans.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Registered User

Mike Foreman recommended them to me, along with Chris from Drums on Sale. They are very similar to Remo and Evans. I wanted to try them because they make the clearest 1-ply heads that I'm aware of, Classic Clears. They are like Ambassador or G1, but really clear. I was using Genera Resonant on my timbale and concert toms, as a batter hear, but they are 7.5mil, like Diplomat, and I dented them up pretty quickly. The 10mil Classic Clear sound better, and are more durable. The Aquarian Response 2 is comparable to the Emperor and G2. They sound great, and seem to stay in tune longer than Remo or Evans.
    I've been using response 2 clears and love them, and had response 2 black coated on my old saturns and they sounded awesome too. I love that you changed for aesthetic reasons too haha, that's some that I'd do too. I'm very particular about how my drums look.

12. Blind and Faithless

I had been using Response II's over Clasic Clears. My initial reaction to G2s over G1s is not impressed. Granted I may just be used to Aquarian and haven't found the sweet spot yet with these Evans.

I bought a UV1 for my snare to try also in place of my normal Texture Coated, but my snare sounds too good right now so I'm not messing with it.

Edit: I'd like to try Aquarian's Super 2 heads next I think, see how they compare to Response II's.

Added in aux hats:
    Attached Images Attached Images