Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default New Reference kit ordered

2 months ago I ordered a new Reference kit in #419 Burnt Orange Abalone. It will take 4 more months to arrive because it's a special order. It took me about half a year to get this colour because I live in Germany and Europe doesn't get those MCC finishes as easy as the US market.

My specs will be:
    22x18 Bass drum
    10x09 Tom
    13x09 Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    18x16 Floor Tom
    What you guys think about it? Don't get a matching Snare'cause I have a Free Floater Bronze and Copper Snare.
    Fyi: Yeah it's really a 10 and 13 Tom. I love the gap between those two. Tried it once, fell in love.

2. Registered User

Great sizes. When you order the reference do you have some limitations with sizing like bass drum depth? I always found the 18" deep kicks were cumbersome to move around.
    Fiberglass nerd; sizes: 22", 16x2, 14x2, 13, 10, 8

Current Project: 14x6 Pearl Fiberglass Snare conversion

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    Great sizes. When you order the reference do you have some limitations with sizing like bass drum depth? I always found the 18" deep kicks were cumbersome to move around.
    Everything Reference is cumbersome to move around. I have a 24, 13, 18 Reference set in Purple Craze. I love the drums. They look great and sound even better, but I wouldn't gig them without a roadie.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    No, I haven't but I like the sound of it. So I ordered a 18" in depth. But tbh wasn't sure if 24x18 or 22x18 or 22x16

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chriswas View Post
    No, I haven't but I like the sound of it. So I ordered a 18" in depth. But tbh wasn't sure if 24x18 or 22x18 or 22x16
    Whatever size you picked, you won't be disappointed with the Reference bass drum sound. For me, with two rack toms, a 22" is a little more convenient for positioning. The toms get a little too high on top of a 24" bass drum. With only one rack tom, you can kick it off to the side of the bass drum a little and get it low enough for a comfortable position. Then again, I'm not tall and don't sit high, so your experience may be different.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    Whatever size you picked, you won't be disappointed with the Reference bass drum sound. For me, with two rack toms, a 22" is a little more convenient for positioning. The toms get a little too high on top of a 24" bass drum. With only one rack tom, you can kick it off to the side of the bass drum a little and get it low enough for a comfortable position. Then again, I'm not tall and don't sit high, so your experience may be different.
    I'm also not tall but I sit high. This might be the difference.

7. Registered User

You are going to love the kit! I had to sell my Reference last year and I’ve missed it so much it’s ridiculous. I looked up your color as well and dig it. My favorite colors are red & black. Congratulations!

Personally I would go with either a 10x10 + 12x11 or 12x10 + 13x11 rack tom setup to match the big floor toms. Maybe 12x9 + 13x10 if worried about height. But that’s just me being weird about the difference in the 10” to 13” toms. I honestly can’t say that I’ve had any 1st hand experience with a 10” + 13” rack tom setup though. I’m sure it will sound great anyways. You really can’t go wrong with any sized Reference! That’s the best part about them!
    Last edited by sixplymaple; Yesterday at 10:08 AM.
    DW-Paiste-Evans-Vic Firth

WTB: DW Romanian River Oak or DW R40 Oak Snare... PM me