Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    Yeah I've tried that. No luck. It's not just that I can't get a sound I like, it's that I can't get ANY good sound.
    After all you tried, for the hoops to all of a sudden to be out of round would really take some force like the drum being dropped or knocked over. It seems to me it would be most likely the shell itself. If you haven't done it already, lay the drum on a completely flat surface and check the bearing edges. You could also measure and see if the drum is still completely round and if there are any cracks in the shell. A video would really be helpful.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    This is probably a useless piece of advice, BUT when i've been in that situation with a drum, pass it to another drummer/the tech in a drum store, and see what sound they get out of it, someone else's way of tuning or setting the wires may bring back that sound you liked.
    You beat me to it! You replied that you had someone else look at it, did that person also come to the same conclusion, where he/she agreed that a 'good' sound was not able to be dialed in?
    Last edited by Snakes&Arrows; 09-10-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: .
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    After all you tried, for the hoops to all of a sudden to be out of round would really take some force like the drum being dropped or knocked over. It seems to me it would be most likely the shell itself. If you haven't done it already, lay the drum on a completely flat surface and check the bearing edges. You could also measure and see if the drum is still completely round and if there are any cracks in the shell. A video would really be helpful.
    Or perhaps left somewhere not climate controlled. It seems strange to me that out of nowhere these quirks are happening.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Or perhaps left somewhere not climate controlled. It seems strange to me that out of nowhere these quirks are happening.
    Yes, I agree.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    Yes and yes. I've tried different brands of heads. Tried Remo and Aquarian for sure, I may have even had an Evans on there but I can't remember for sure. Yes, have tried different brands of snare wire. Had the stock pearl snares, tried a set of Pure sounds, and a set of generic Gibraltars.

As you say I haven't tried a different throw off.
    Let us know what you find out . There has to be a reason.

6. Registered User

Looks like his drum has flanged hoops. Not all that uncommon for them to go out of round, especially after multiple head changes. They’re easily bent back into shape. The bottom hoops on a snare are often out of round due to people trying to get the tension even at the snare beds causing the hoop to take on a Pringles shape.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    This is probably a useless piece of advice, BUT when i've been in that situation with a drum, pass it to another drummer/the tech in a drum store, and see what sound they get out of it, someone else's way of tuning or setting the wires may bring back that sound you liked.
    Great suggestion. I was gonna recommend the OP try playing the drum in a different room. Sometimes you can tune a drum perfectly for one acoustical environment only to have it sound like trash when played somewhere else.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 7empest View Post
    Great suggestion. I was gonna recommend the OP try playing the drum in a different room. Sometimes you can tune a drum perfectly for one acoustical environment only to have it sound like trash when played somewhere else.
    Yes, and also have someone play the snare behind the kit and with you standing in front a few feet. Sometimes your drums can sound fine when you get out from behind them.

9. PEARL EXX

Try Mute Pad Drum Damper Gel Name:  4DD98282-4854-4D82-B2C6-71D2CEE61B5F.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  33.1 KB

10. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    It's strange to me too! The drum has always been in my house and I live in a dry area so I don't think it's terribly likely that it was damaged, but you never know I guess.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Pearl SMX Marine Blue Fade (outdoor pictures)
    Pearl Limited Edition Burl Mahogany Snare
    Vintage 60s Ludwig snare restoration
    Sabian cymbals and Vic Firth sticks

11. Registered drum user

I'll check the shell like that and see if I can get the sound on video.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Pearl SMX Marine Blue Fade (outdoor pictures)
    Pearl Limited Edition Burl Mahogany Snare
    Vintage 60s Ludwig snare restoration
    Sabian cymbals and Vic Firth sticks