Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered drum user

Default Trouble with Pearl snare

Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've been around here, but have always enjoyed the PDF!

I'm looking for some help with a Pearl snare drum. The drum is a special edition burl mahogany snare I purchased around 2011. The drum sounded fantastic until a couple years ago. When I play the snare there is a weird high pitched twanging ring sound.

Now, before you suggest I check the tuning etc etc. I've been through all that. I've been drumming for over 15 years, and while definitely not an expert I have always been able to get a decent sound from my drums. I've owned 4 different snares and I tune and maintain the drum kit at my church. So i'm not a rank novice when it comes to tuning.

Here's what I've tried.

I have tried I believe at least 3 different batter heads. I have changed the resonant head. I have changed the snare wires. I have changed the snare cords. I have taken the heads off (3 different heads) and tuned and re tuned them. I've tried low tunings and high tunings. I understand sympathetic snare buzz and have tried to take that into account. I have tuned the resonant head flat (same tension all around) and then I've tuned the head to be tight on the snare beds. I have checked and re-checked all the lugs and hardware. I'm totally stumped. I cannot get the snare to sound good anymore after years of excellent sound.

I have had 3 different knowledgeable drummer friends look at the snare. None of them could solve it.

I have left the drum on a shelf for a couple years now, unable to get it to sound good, but cannot bring myself to get rid of it.

All I can think of is that either the hoops are out of round, or that the shell has somehow failed. Is there any way to tell? Any ideas of what else I can try?Name:  DSCN8217.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  92.8 KB
    ----------------------------------------------
    Pearl SMX Marine Blue Fade (outdoor pictures)
    Pearl Limited Edition Burl Mahogany Snare
    Vintage 60s Ludwig snare restoration
    Sabian cymbals and Vic Firth sticks

2. Pearl & Zildjian

Have you checked if al the screws that hold the lugs to the shell are still tight? I've had an issue with that in the past.
    Pearl Vision VSX & Zildjian & Paiste Cymbals
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 80 !

3. Registered User

Having changed the batter heads, did you try a different brand of heads? Also, you could use a different brand of snare wire if you haven't already. The only thing you haven't tried is a new strainer (throw off).

4. Go Back To The 90s!

Without actually seeing it in person, I’d guess maybe the shell could be out of round or maybe ply separation. How are the bearing edges?
    Check out the band: State Line Syndicate

5. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by scaryguy View Post
    Have you checked if al the screws that hold the lugs to the shell are still tight? I've had an issue with that in the past.

Yes I've checked all the screws. They were all fine.
    Last edited by livingstone; 09-08-2020 at 06:06 PM.

6. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Having changed the batter heads, did you try a different brand of heads? Also, you could use a different brand of snare wire if you haven't already. The only thing you haven't tried is a new strainer (throw off).

Yes and yes. I've tried different brands of heads. Tried Remo and Aquarian for sure, I may have even had an Evans on there but I can't remember for sure. Yes, have tried different brands of snare wire. Had the stock pearl snares, tried a set of Pure sounds, and a set of generic Gibraltars.

As you say I haven't tried a different throw off.
    Last edited by livingstone; 09-08-2020 at 06:04 PM.

7. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
    Without actually seeing it in person, I’d guess maybe the shell could be out of round or maybe ply separation. How are the bearing edges?
    As far as I can see, the bearing edges look okay. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the plys.

The only thing that I can see is that the heads are very tight to the shell when they are on and the gap between the shell and the head is not even, either on the top or the bottom, so maybe the shell is out of round?

I will try to get some pictures.
    Last edited by livingstone; 09-08-2020 at 06:05 PM.

8. NO KIT TOO BIG

This is probably a useless piece of advice, BUT when i've been in that situation with a drum, pass it to another drummer/the tech in a drum store, and see what sound they get out of it, someone else's way of tuning or setting the wires may bring back that sound you liked.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

9. Playing since 1976

Did you tune the batter and snare side heads with a Tune-Bot, following their instructions for best results? If you did that, and had trouble tuning the drum, at least you would know that something is wrong. Also, if there was a problem with the SR-017 throw-off, you would be the first person to experience difficulty with that part.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Did you tune the batter and snare side heads with a Tune-Bot, following their instructions for best results? If you did that, and had trouble tuning the drum, at least you would know that something is wrong. Also, if there was a problem with the SR-017 throw-off, you would be the first person to experience difficulty with that part.
    I actually replaced an SR-17 throw-off that started slipping a few years ago.

11. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I don't have a tune bot unfortunately.

12. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    This is probably a useless piece of advice, BUT when i've been in that situation with a drum, pass it to another drummer/the tech in a drum store, and see what sound they get out of it, someone else's way of tuning or setting the wires may bring back that sound you liked.
    Yeah I've tried that. No luck. It's not just that I can't get a sound I like, it's that I can't get ANY good sound.