Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Default Tips for Painting my Hoops

So Iíve decided a couple of things: I canít stay away from having two kicks on my kit. Iíll be returning to my two up/two down/two down set up but sans rack and RTís. Hopefully the footprint will be smaller. Secondly, I want to get rid of the extended hoops and put on the originals. HowEVER, I cannot abide by the unfinished insides of the hoops. I am going to paint them black to somewhat match the black sparkle on the outside. Iíve never painted wood before.

Any tips from the peanut gallery?
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Drumming Since 1943

Is THAT how it’s done? Thanks SO much for the advice and pointers guys. Much appreciated.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Since you're a total paint noob I'll give you simple steps.

Use painters tape on outside hoops covering every bit of that finish
    take some 220 grit sandpaper and sand the interior wood hoop
    wipe off dust with a tack rag or a rag with paint thinner on it
    I assume you're using spray paint, so shake can and do light even coat on interior hoops, which should be placed on cardboard
    let dry, rinse and repeat sand and spray till your hearts desire is reached.

4. The Hardware Guy

If it were me, I'd be wanting to keep the factory painted section, and just pain the natural areas of the hoops black. You're going to need to sand the clear lacquer from the hoop, but I wouldn't be trying to take it from the factory painted section, so tape that up with masking/painters tape. Use a decent grit (not too coarse, may 1000 or 1200?) and sand the clear lacquer from the rest of the hoop. You probably don't need to take it all off, down to bare wood, but enough that you "key" the surface so new paint will stick. Clean it well afterwards to remove all dust. I'd probably apply new painters take at this point, as you really want it taped down good.

Then, with a good quality furniture spray paint (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch, something like that) you want to blow it in with long even strokes, not too close to the hoop but not too far away that you get patchy coverage. Factor about 6-8" away. Watch a few YouTube videos to get an idea on the technique for spraying with a can, but essentially it's long even strokes, only holding the nozzle in as you sweep. You want to get good coverage on it on the first application, so that it's all black and even, but you're not trying to do it all in one go. Get a base layer down first, then leave it for about 10 mins, and repeat. You'll probably want to do 3 coats I'd imagine. Once done, leave it 24hrs to go off fully.

Inspecting it the next day, you need to see if you go any runs. If you did, you'll need to sand them out and reapply paint if needed. Sanding out you'll want to use a less abrasive grit, and go finer and finer to eliminate stretches. Right up to 2000+ grit. But, if it all went on ok and you're happy with the coverage and density, it's time for clear coating. Remove the painters tape and check the new paint looks good against the old, clean everything again (tack rags, or simply an alcohol cleaner that flashes off) and using the same technique you did before, dust the hoop with clear lacquer. Leave for 15-20 mins between coats, and again, you'll probably want 3 coats.Reason I said remove the painters tape is I'd be doing this over the whole, over the top of the original lacquer on the factory painted section. This is so you don't get a "seam" between the old and new lacquer. Plus it'll look extra glossy.

Now, clear coat can be a ***** to get super smooth and glossy. It shows up orange peel really easily (the ripple effect, like the surface of an orange). You can get rid of this by wet sanding between coats, but as a first time painter, this won't be easy. Of course, if you've painted car/motorbike parts before then you'll already know the score. You want increasingly finer grades of paper, and wet sanding (where you wet the sand paper first and keep it wet so as to not burn through the lacquer which will be thin) and sand out any ripples and spots (low points, like dimples). You sand it so it's cloudy, then use finer grades to "de-cloud" it. Then spray it again. Sand and repeat as necessary. To get that real showroom shine you need to buff it, which, without proper equipment, is going to be a ***** to do. You can do it with handheld rotary tools, but you'll need good polishing compound and I'd be practicing on an old shell you don't care about before doing it to your hoops.

This is a good video to get an idea of how it's done. Obviously the guy is using good tools and equipment, but if gives you an idea of what extent you need to go to to get that factory finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXsBVXaxj2Y

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Drumming Since 1943

Jeez. Think I'll keep the extended hoops. Lol

Thanks Matt.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. The Hardware Guy

You'll be fine. It'll take a weekend, and most of that is drying time. And it'll look WAY better

PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē

7. The Hardware Guy

I mean, if you don't want to go for the factory finish, you can mask the already painted part, sand the rest of the hoop to key the surface, the blow it in with gloss black spray can paint, do 3 coats, remove the tape and once fully dried give it a blast or two of clear coat to smooth over it all and leave it at that. It'll still look good, but close up you'll know.

PICSPICS 2

8. Registered User

Strictly my opinion, but I would leave the hoops just like they are.

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Strictly my opinion, but I would leave the hoops just like they are.
    Agree.

10. Drumming Since 1943

I
    Do
    Not
    Unfinished
    Hoops

Been through this before gentlemen. Strictly a personal preference thing.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I
    Do
    Not
    Unfinished
    Hoops

You and me both, pal

PICSPICS 2

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I
    Do
    Not
    Unfinished
    Hoops

Then I suggest learning how to paint them via the suggestions here, have someone paint them, or buy new ones.