Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default I Built A "Skinny Bass Drum"

I built a kick from a Keller Shell cut-off that I bought on Reverb for $35

https://youtu.be/TVhwZ3UVhB4

I'm thinking about taking this process and building a whole kit, so if you want to see something like that let me know.

Name:  IMG_2668.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  101.8 KB
    Last edited by malonedrum; 07-20-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    www.malonedrum.com
    Bosphorus Cymbals Performing Artist

2. The Hardware Guy

Post pictures please

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

Dude, would love to see some of your projects, but youtube links aren't the way. This really isn't the place for asking for subscribers or people to comment on Youtube. Its a discussion forum to talk here and share ideas, thoughts and photos.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Dude, would love to see some of your projects, but youtube links aren't the way. This really isn't the place for asking for subscribers or people to comment on Youtube. Its a discussion forum to talk here and share ideas, thoughts and photos.
    This guy gets it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Youtube, but it's becoming such a clickbait now. And every single video I see has someone saying "like, comment, click subscribe and don't forget the bell icon"... Enough.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    This guy gets it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Youtube, but it's becoming such a clickbait now. And every single video I see has someone saying "like, comment, click subscribe and don't forget the bell icon"... Enough.
    Indeed, By all means people share videos here, but they balance it with opinions and explanations, and contribute more than just a link to their opinion.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

6. Registered User

www.malonedrum.com
    Bosphorus Cymbals Performing Artist

7. Miles Gibbons

Nice one! I've always felt that the whole "mini kit" phase has sort of been a "close but no cigar" situation. Obviously a 14" or 16" diameter drum will be smaller, but the depth is usually what eats up more stage... Yamaha and Tama have started offering shallower kicks, and companies here and there have done similar, but I think the shallow 18" or 20" makes way more sense than a 16x16" or 14x16" ... they sound better and take up less stage. I find, even in shallow depths, an 18" or 20" shell has droves more of the warmth you expect from a kick. Those little 16" kicks are great for little kids, but they are too "poppy" (as in sonically, not the genre) and bouncy, in my opinion.

I have zero woodworking gear, space to do so in my apartment, or experience (most importantly). I'm always passively looking for something like this!

EDIT: And hey, I like the video... it's a much more efficient way of showing us your process, and of course being able to hear the finished product as well as see it is pretty rad.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"