Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    We are obviously opposite as my arm feels awkward over the floor.
    I try not to give out too much advice on setups. My technique is such garbage that I'm sure I'm setting up to my deficiencies rather than how a properly trained player would approach the kit.

I read an MD article from years ago where Peart was an advocate of low ride cymbals to avoid fighting gravity all night.
    Then SiPhi showed up and we all had a good chuckle.

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    I try not to give out too much advice on setups. My technique is such garbage that I'm sure I'm setting up to my deficiencies rather than how a properly trained player would approach the kit.

I read an MD article from years ago where Peart was an advocate of low ride cymbals to avoid fighting gravity all night.
    Then SiPhi showed up and we all had a good chuckle.
    But Neil also radically changed his tune when he redesigned his set up in the ‘90’s after his move to DW and training with Freddie. He derided his original ride set up. Point being, change is a good thing and nothing is set in stone.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

True. But I recall most of that setup change was related to the toms. The ride has always been low and remained low after the reconfiguration. He did remove the mounted tom to shift his ride closer to the front, but was still low and parallel to the floor.

SiPhi... still laughing.

4. Unban nik12

My good friend borrowed my Starclassic for a recording session, so I’ve finally gotten around to reheading to my preferred Reno’s all around. I went with the stock heads for months because I couldn’t justify buying new heads since I was only practicing with them, no shows or sessions. They sound amazing, and it’s unbelievable how resonant these drums are. I know once I get to change the resonants, they’ll sound even better. Running Emperors on the rack toms, Vintage Emperor on the floor tom, PS4 on the kick, all clear. The PS4 sounds amazing and makes the 22x16 sound super fat. I seriously cannot wait to get my second bass drum haha.

EDIT: fun fact, my new roommate is the one who bought my DW’s so I could take the leap on this kit, and they stay setup right across from each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

5. Unban nik12

Name:  4FFC61F7-EFF0-43CD-A6DD-6A19FE02FCFA.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  90.0 KB

Picked up this DW x-hat yesterday from Fork’s and I’m having a blast with it. It’s so cool to mess around with double bass patterns with closed hats, but the main purpose of getting it was so that I wouldn’t have to cross my right hand over my left for punk beats. I always feel like most drummers who do that (myself included), end up losing a lot of velocity on the snare hits since the right and left hands are opposing motions and this definitely will keep that from happening.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

6. ex-hipodilski

Easier solution - switch to open handed playing.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Name:  4FFC61F7-EFF0-43CD-A6DD-6A19FE02FCFA.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  90.0 KB

Picked up this DW x-hat yesterday from Fork’s and I’m having a blast with it. It’s so cool to mess around with double bass patterns with closed hats, but the main purpose of getting it was so that I wouldn’t have to cross my right hand over my left for punk beats. I always feel like most drummers who do that (myself included), end up losing a lot of velocity on the snare hits since the right and left hands are opposing motions and this definitely will keep that from happening.
    I have both X and cable hats. Gotta add one of them back on the kit. A lot of fun and a great option for certain situations.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Unban nik12

Came up on an awesome deal for two Speed Cobra 910 single pedals on FB marketplace this morning. $215 shipped, cases included! They're the first iteration, but I think once replace the springs and the beaters, I'll be all set. So excited to get my second kick! I've also been thinking about replacing my Powerslave lately. I absolutely love the tone and how it blends with my Zildjians but I just need something a bit heavier; I use extended 2B's and hit pretty hard and the Powerslave seems to wash out a bit too much which isn't good for the faster ride patterns I need to play. I hit a Paiste Blue Bell Ride the other day at Fork's and fell in love, might be a great replacement and the blue would match my kit pretty nicely! Decisions, decisions...
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

9. Unban nik12

Filling in for a friend’s thrash band in a few months, so I decided to strip down my kit for the occasion. Gonna rip it tomorrow, but already excited about the change even though I’ve only been playing the big kit for the past year or so since I got it. We’ll see if I still have the small kit chops!Name:  FFADAC5D-57C6-480B-B251-8689D7797781.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  80.3 KB
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

10. Registered User

Mitch, if you're going to unload your Powerslave ride, please send me a PM.

11. Registered User

The PS is listed as heavy same as the copeland ride, was there a big difference in sound?
    If your staying with a Paiste ride, look for a Sig heavy bell, its discontinued but easy to find 2nd hand. Size is 20". The rude "reign" sounds great, I like that new sig power ride just released.
    Mugan music has a few prototype mega bell rides for sell.

12. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Mitch, if you're going to unload your Powerslave ride, please send me a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomonyou View Post
    The PS is listed as heavy same as the copeland ride, was there a big difference in sound?
    If your staying with a Paiste ride, look for a Sig heavy bell, its discontinued but easy to find 2nd hand. Size is 20". The rude "reign" sounds great, I like that new sig power ride just released.
    Mugan music has a few prototype mega bell rides for sell.
    Still not sure if I'm gonna be letting the Powerslave go just yet, but you're at the top of the list if I do Melvin! The tone of the Powerslave is outstanding and the bell is a force to be reckoned with. It's still one of the only Paiste rides that I've found to really sound at home with my full set of Zildjians. I found it getting a bit too washed out with the huge sticks that I play but I'm going to try just a small bit of gaff tape underneath the bow to see if that helps define the ping a bit more. It's currently on loan to a friend to use for a session, and he's letting me borrow his Mega Bell in the meantime. I definitely do NOT miss the mega bell sound and while it is a fun ride to play for certain music, it's absolutely a one trick pony, even though it does that one trick very well. I have missed using that huge bell for quick accents though! I might end up with an ice bell somewhere on my kit even though the last thing I need is more cymbals.

I really love the Blue Bell Ride and while both are technically "heavy" rides, the Blue Bell is dramatically different. It's a much drier and defined ping but I find the bell to be a bit lackluster compared to the Powerslave (which is funny considering the name). I still haven't found a better all-around ride than the Powerslave and I'm tempted to believe that playing in a larger room than my basement will let the wash escape a bit more and let the ping really shine through.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple