Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Nkce Mitch! I may finalize my order this coming week, then we can both get ready to wait haha. Maybe my kit will arrive around the same time as your kick. Congrats and here's to hoping for a speedy and safe delivery.
    Thanks man! I’m really looking forward to it, I’ve never had two kicks before and I think it’s gonna be a ton of fun to have the option. I’m hoping it’s not 150 days, but I don’t mind the wait. I’m sure we’ll be on the same timeframe if you do place your order though! How’s the finish decision coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    It's not a difficult thing to do. Just pick a dealer, start asking questions, and eventually send a deposit. You have several good dealers to choose from... including Dale's, Fork's, Drum City, Bentley's, or my favorite [WHO IS NOW A TAMA DEALER] Drums on Sale, in Hagerstown, MD. I just ordered the new Star Reserve Hammered Aluminum, along with other goodies, through DOS, but it won't be here until June, or maybe later.
    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Hey! It’s amazing that you mention drumsonsale.com! Just like I did in the post before yours. They’re a great site, aren’t they?
    DOS was actually able to offer a lower price for the bass drum, but Sweetwater’s financing options were what pushed me to go with them. I’m positive that next time I order another drum (possibly an 18x16 floor tom), I’ll end up going through them. Between putting new tires on my car, ordering this drum, and saving up for a down payment on a house, I need to give my wallet a break haha.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Im sure some of yall know that Ive been searching for my perfect kit for over a month now, and these fell right into my lap. Got a steal of a deal, about 40% off retail. Gonna eventually expand and get another kick and some more toms and build a shell bank so I can rent them out for studio sessions. Funny enough, this is the first brand new kit Ive bought since I started playing 10 years ago, I bought a Vision series kit when I was 14. Time sure does fly by.

In the meantime, I picked up the 10/12/16/22 shell pack and ordered the 13 separately, turns out I ended up ordering the 13 tom with smoked black nickel hardware, not the standard black nickel, so Im gonna switch the hardware on that drum out at some point. Tama has been pretty much radio silent since the Covid mess started and I got quoted 6-8 months on a 13 tom with the correct hardware. Id rather just stick with what I have, especially since nobody is gonna be gigging any time soon. If anyone knows a dealer that wont overcharge me for the black nickel 13 hardware, Id be all ears. Theres some other things Ill be changing soon too, Im gonna grab a couple more cymbals and of course rehead with Remos.

This is my first time ever setting up with 2 rack toms and I love it already. Gotta do some adjusting and refining but honestly surprised at how comfortable the initial setup was. I also have to say, these drums sound absolutely amazing. I have a Starclassic B/B in Texas that lives with one of my bands, so I wanted something different and Im not disappointed at all in how these are sounding. The heads are the Tama G2s over G1s and the 12 was giving me some trouble, the rest tuned up really nicely. They sound super fat and project really well too. When playing the toms, they seem to have a laser effect that projects out as soon as you hit them, it makes for a really interesting approach to the kit, but I am already in love with these and dont see myself parting with them any time soon.

The finish is called Emerald Pacific Walnut Burst and the workmanship on these drums is outstanding. My best friend came with me tonight to help get them unboxed and set up and he said that hes never handled a kit that was so sturdy and functional, the same goes for me. I had an older generation Starclassic B/B in rock sizes and they were awesome, Tama definitely stepped it up with this latest generation though. Plus the badges are the painted ones, which I love.

Enough talk, here are the specs and a couple quick pics from the studio. Ill be taking more tomorrow but I had to snap a few quickies this evening.

10x7 (not pictured)
    12x8
    13x9
    16x16
    22x16

Snare is my 14x6.5 Udrum Bell Brass, 5mm with diecast hoops, all brass hardware.

14 HHX Groove Hats
    20 A Custom Crash
    22 Paiste Signature Bell Ride, the Powerslave
    21 A Brilliant Sweet Ride
    19 AAXtreme China

All DW 9000 hardware other than the 5000 hihat stand and the Speedcobra double pedals
    Wow! Amazing kit, I bet those drums sound killer too

3. Unban nik12

Been considering a rack more and more lately, I think they’re pretty ugly for the most part but I know it would make setting up 2 kicks, 3 rack toms, 3 crashes, hihats, 2 splashes, ride, china, and possibly an x-hat much easier. I’d keep my 9000’s for gigging and leave the rack set up at home but I’m trying to avoid spending too much money on this venture since I’m already spending more than I wanted to on the extra kick. I’m still not sure how I’m mounting the two front crashes just yet which is probably the biggest issue yet so far.

Name:  C88FB090-95C8-4ACC-BACF-BDF8456501A5.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  101.0 KB
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

4. Registered User

With as few cymbals as you’re running I’d stick with stands personally.

5. Registered User

Been considering a rack more and more lately, I think they’re pretty ugly for the most part but I know it would make setting up 2 kicks, 3 rack toms, 3 crashes, hihats, 2 splashes, ride, china, and possibly an x-hat much easier. I’d keep my 9000’s for gigging and leave the rack set up at home but I’m trying to avoid spending too much money on this venture since I’m already spending more than I wanted to on the extra kick. I’m still not sure how I’m mounting the two front crashes just yet which is probably the biggest issue yet so far.

Name:  C88FB090-95C8-4ACC-BACF-BDF8456501A5.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  101.0 KB
    Hex racks are pretty nice, just saying hahaha. I do think a rack would help you with your set up. I gigged a 6 pc (8,10,12,14,20) 2 crashes, 2 splashes, ride, hats and 2 snares for a summer and it was surprisingly efficient when it came to tear down/setup. It was 3 sided, all the clamps stayed on the rack with memory locks, then I'd just pull the tom arms and cymbal arms off and then simply fold the two sides into the middle and bam, most of the kit was broken down. Not as easy as a 4 pc, crash, ride, hats but I was in my 20s and wanted to play my big set up all the time. As long as the venue could accommodate that setup (I don't think I ever ran into a limitation) I used it. It wasn't mine, so I eventually returned it and never got around to getting another. The last PHX kit I owned, came with a hex rack and even though they're pricey, they're really awesome. That's what I'll get, if I ever get another and I've considered it. Love Yamaha hw and drums for that matter too. I'm gonna be the GAS devil on your shoulder and say "Get the rack Mitch".

6. Drumming Since 1943

Get a rack. Im running an ICON in the studio and have done stands live but its nice having the option.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    With as few cymbals as you’re running I’d stick with stands personally.
    As fun as it is to have all the options on your kit, I really don’t know how well I’d commit to having such a big setup. I haven’t even gotten to gig with this, which is only an extra rack tom and crash from my usual, but adding a 3rd and even more effects sounds fun in theory but I know how I am and I think I’d get tired of it. I’m definitely trying to be smart about it!

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Hex racks are pretty nice, just saying hahaha. I do think a rack would help you with your set up. I gigged a 6 pc (8,10,12,14,20) 2 crashes, 2 splashes, ride, hats and 2 snares for a summer and it was surprisingly efficient when it came to tear down/setup. It was 3 sided, all the clamps stayed on the rack with memory locks, then I'd just pull the tom arms and cymbal arms off and then simply fold the two sides into the middle and bam, most of the kit was broken down. Not as easy as a 4 pc, crash, ride, hats but I was in my 20s and wanted to play my big set up all the time. As long as the venue could accommodate that setup (I don't think I ever ran into a limitation) I used it. It wasn't mine, so I eventually returned it and never got around to getting another. The last PHX kit I owned, came with a hex rack and even though they're pricey, they're really awesome. That's what I'll get, if I ever get another and I've considered it. Love Yamaha hw and drums for that matter too. I'm gonna be the GAS devil on your shoulder and say "Get the rack Mitch".
    Since Tama’s rack system is pretty much nonexistent, I was thinking that a Hex rack would probably be what I’d go with. I’ve seen some really nice low-profile Hex rack setups which is definitely a big thing for me; I don’t wanna cover the drums up too much even though they’d be living at home. I’m definitely gonna think about it, but the Hex rack with everything I need, as far as clamps and boom arms go, is also pretty damn expensive. I would probably have to sell my Superstar kit and full set of Roadpro hardware to fund it, which I don’t know if I want to do just yet.

Get a rack. I’m running an ICON in the studio and have done stands live but it’s nice having the option.
    I appreciate the input, I definitely would love to have the options and flexibility, just not sure if I can justify spending the money. Any idea when you’re getting your Powerbell back?
    Last edited by MitchLyons; 04-18-2021 at 11:40 PM.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

8. Drumming Since 1943

As fun as it is to have all the options on your kit, I really don’t know how well I’d commit to having such a big setup. I haven’t even gotten to gig with this, which is only an extra rack tom and crash from my usual, but adding a 3rd and even more effects sounds fun in theory but I know how I am and I think I’d get tired of it. I’m definitely trying to be smart about it!

Since Tama’s rack system is pretty much nonexistent, I was thinking that a Hex rack would probably be what I’d go with. I’ve seen some really nice low-profile Hex rack setups which is definitely a big thing for me; I don’t wanna cover the drums up too much even though they’d be living at home. I’m definitely gonna think about it, but the Hex rack with everything I need, as far as clamps and boom arms go, is also pretty damn expensive. I would probably have to sell my Superstar kit and full set of Roadpro hardware to fund it, which I don’t know if I want to do just yet.

I appreciate the input, I definitely would love to have the options and flexibility, just not sure if I can justify spending the money. Any idea when you’re getting your Powerbell back?
    Nope. Haven’t heard a thing. Have a feeling it’ll just randomly show up one day, hopefully soon.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

Nope. Haven’t heard a thing. Have a feeling it’ll just randomly show up one day, hopefully soon.
    Hopefully it shows up at the right building this time.

10. Drumming Since 1943

Same here! What an odyssey that was! All because of a missing “1”. Lol
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

I would also suggest looking into Gibraltar and Pearl Racks. Using both, I don't see any drawbacks. The Pearl one a little more heavy and bulky remains in the rehearsal room, since it is also bigger. I am using the Gibraltar one as a gigging rack. It depends on the setup you have in mind (don't worry about the 2 crashes in the front), that being said Gibraltar seems to be more flexible, and can be customized a bit more. You can also look into the stealth racks. I would recommend looking into the Youtube channel of Gibraltar, especially the series Brents Hang.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Just got an email from Sabian that they received the cymbal. Now the wait begins.
    Way Too Much Crap