Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Unban nik12

Default My new Starclassic Maples

Im sure some of yall know that Ive been searching for my perfect kit for over a month now, and these fell right into my lap. Got a steal of a deal, about 40% off retail. Gonna eventually expand and get another kick and some more toms and build a shell bank so I can rent them out for studio sessions. Funny enough, this is the first brand new kit Ive bought since I started playing 10 years ago, I bought a Vision series kit when I was 14. Time sure does fly by.

In the meantime, I picked up the 10/12/16/22 shell pack and ordered the 13 separately, turns out I ended up ordering the 13 tom with smoked black nickel hardware, not the standard black nickel, so Im gonna switch the hardware on that drum out at some point. Tama has been pretty much radio silent since the Covid mess started and I got quoted 6-8 months on a 13 tom with the correct hardware. Id rather just stick with what I have, especially since nobody is gonna be gigging any time soon. If anyone knows a dealer that wont overcharge me for the black nickel 13 hardware, Id be all ears. Theres some other things Ill be changing soon too, Im gonna grab a couple more cymbals and of course rehead with Remos.

This is my first time ever setting up with 2 rack toms and I love it already. Gotta do some adjusting and refining but honestly surprised at how comfortable the initial setup was. I also have to say, these drums sound absolutely amazing. I have a Starclassic B/B in Texas that lives with one of my bands, so I wanted something different and Im not disappointed at all in how these are sounding. The heads are the Tama G2s over G1s and the 12 was giving me some trouble, the rest tuned up really nicely. They sound super fat and project really well too. When playing the toms, they seem to have a laser effect that projects out as soon as you hit them, it makes for a really interesting approach to the kit, but I am already in love with these and dont see myself parting with them any time soon.

The finish is called Emerald Pacific Walnut Burst and the workmanship on these drums is outstanding. My best friend came with me tonight to help get them unboxed and set up and he said that hes never handled a kit that was so sturdy and functional, the same goes for me. I had an older generation Starclassic B/B in rock sizes and they were awesome, Tama definitely stepped it up with this latest generation though. Plus the badges are the painted ones, which I love.

Enough talk, here are the specs and a couple quick pics from the studio. Ill be taking more tomorrow but I had to snap a few quickies this evening.

10x7 (not pictured)
    12x8
    13x9
    16x16
    22x16

Snare is my 14x6.5 Udrum Bell Brass, 5mm with diecast hoops, all brass hardware.

14 HHX Groove Hats
    20 A Custom Crash
    22 Paiste Signature Bell Ride, the Powerslave
    21 A Brilliant Sweet Ride
    19 AAXtreme China

All DW 9000 hardware other than the 5000 hihat stand and the Speedcobra double pedals
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

2. Registered User

Congratulations on Finding that Tama Kit. I really Like the finish on those. Cheers!

3. A Passion Play ...

Beautiful kit. Congratulations.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. NO KIT TOO BIG

Lovely kit indeed, sounds like you got it for a steal too!
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

5. Registered User

Damn that's nice. Congrats.

6. Registered User

Beautiful looking Tama's! Congrats and enjoy!

7. Pearl Masters Drummer

SO GORGEOUS! You gotta love Starclassic Maple!

8. Playing since 1976

What a nice surprise, and a beautiful finish. I think you'd be better off trying to switch the hardware, on the 13, yourself. Since that drum looks so nice, and matches the rest of the drums so well, I wouldn't risk getting a different drum that might not have as nice of a grain, or might not match as well.

Congratulations, and enjoy them forever!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

Nice score Mitch! I love the color!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

10. Drumming Since 1943

Congrats Mitch! Gorgeous drums. And in my favorite set-up as well!...

Way Too Much Crap

11. Unban nik12

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Really excited about this kit. Gonna go back to the studio today and try to get some audio clips with mics on them. Been communicating with Matt about how to go about fixing this hardware predicament, he had some really good ideas. I’m just happy to have finally found a kit that checks all my boxes, I was being pretty picky, but with spending as much as I did, I felt like I needed to be and I’m glad I was. More pics coming later!
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Really excited about this kit. Gonna go back to the studio today and try to get some audio clips with mics on them. Been communicating with Matt about how to go about fixing this hardware predicament, he had some really good ideas. I’m just happy to have finally found a kit that checks all my boxes, I was being pretty picky, but with spending as much as I did, I felt like I needed to be and I’m glad I was. More pics coming later!
    Well you have it set up perfectly for that second kick.
    Way Too Much Crap