Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Skeld-the -wicked

Default Emad bass drum pillow system.

For about 4 years I put the Emad bass drum muffle pillow system in my MMP 22x18 bass drum when I bought it used and I decided to remove it today . Luckily the adhesive on the Velcro didn’t remove the finish. I put a Emad heavyweight batter and a custom Drum Art reso Aquarian resonator. It sounds so much better than before deeper with plenty of punch.No more muffling on my bass drums . The MHX never had a pillow .

I tried kick ports in the past but stopped using them too. They might enhance a less expensive drum but didn’t make much difference on the masters kits I owned in the past.

Feel free to chime in with your opinions and what combination you like.
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    Pearl Masters Premium MRP 14x5.5 snare
    Ian Paice Signature Snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Just been trying this today on my old Tama Imperialstar 20x14". Kept the EMAD batter with small foam ring, and removed the towel from inside, and added a felt strip to the reso, opens the drum up a bit more and gives a wider sound with more spread to it. Really vintage-y, i'm digging it.

Name:  106370979_2564261307157578_6422715841403766379_n.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  105043846_2564261300490912_557147538101009227_n.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  70.7 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Skeld-the -wicked

Very nice Rush!
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    Pearl Masters Premium MRP 14x5.5 snare
    Ian Paice Signature Snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

4. The Hardware Guy

I've tried loads over the years - blankets; pillows; I had some flight case foam cut to specific dimensions to line the bottom of the drum touching both heads. I've tried loads of head combos - Pinstripes; PS3s; Ambassadors (clear/coated/ebony). Settled most recently on EMAD2 batter head and the stock Pearl PS3 style reso head, nothing in the drum, and a strip of felt across the inside of the reso to mute the over-ring. It's big, it's loud, and it's deep. Lots of guts, lots of low-end, nice thug. Falam patch and rubber faced heavy beaters gives good attack and slap.

Sounds great acoustically, behind the kit. I'd imagine it'd sound terrible mic'd up at a gig or on a recording though.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Registered User

I have a Remo P3 on my 20" Decade bass with the stock head (with port hole) and nothing inside, and it's got a nice blend of boom and punch. I'll throw a lightweight towel inside if I'm playing in a smaller venue, and that's more than enough to tone it back, especially if I lighten up my foot on the pedal. I'm definitely interested in putting a Powerstroke Felt Tone on the front with no port hole in it at some point.

Personally I've never been a fan of a ton of muffling in a bass. I thought Dave Weckl was crazy for having an entire quilt inside his and saying "the more muffling, the better" in an old instructional video I saw when I was younger.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

6. The Hardware Guy

I remember seeing Gavin Harrison doing a clinic years ago and someone asked about his bass drum muffling (I think a pillow and a blanket) and he said half the reason is to get that attack sound and the there half is for the feel of the head

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

7. Registered User

Both my bassdrums are about half full of duvets/blankets. I don't want a lot of resonance from them because they're so big it starts to sound overpowering. I get a nice solid thump.