Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Reference Guru

Default Bizarre/Crazy Customer Service Story.......Have one?

Iíll go first. Mine is unique as it is how I wound up playing Pearl Drums.

WAY back in 2003 the war in Iraq was kicking off and I had just returned from a 16 month tour in Afghanistan. It was time to get a new kit as I was bored with my Tama Kit. I knew before I left for my deployment I was going to get a new kit when I returned home. Saved all that tax free money, combat pay and hazardous duty pay.

At the time I had ALWAYS wanted a DW Kit. Well, I called AJ Pro Percussion who sold out to Woodwinds and Brass or something like that. However, this was about 6 months before he closed up shop. I canít remember the salesmanís name, but he was a super cool dude and awesome drummer. Anyway, he and I chatted and went over what I wanted. It was a DW collectors Series in ďBroken Glass.Ē Thatís finish was new at the time and I HAD to have it. So I dropped 6200.00 and some change and We submitted the order and were told by DW it would be 16-20 weeks.

24x20 BDx2
    18x15 FT
    16x13 FT
    13x10 RT
    12x9 RT
    10x8 RT
    14x6.5 Edge SD

About 2 weeks after I placed the order my team got notification we were only going to be home for 6 months instead of a year. I had already been home a month and a half. Now I started sweating if the kit would even be delivered before I deployed to Iraq. AJís called DW and explained the situation and they agreed to get the kit done as close to the 16 week mark as possible. About 2 weeks before I deployed I got the call that my kit had shipped. Then 5 days later I was told they were getting delivered on Thursday.

THE DAY had come and when the DHL truck pulled up to my house, I was ecstatic. Then he pulled down ONE huge box. Not several, ONE. It was massive. I KNEW something was amiss. I got a knife to cut the tape and when the driver and I looked in, we were both like WTF? I pull out the packing list. What I got for my 6200.00 and change was a box with 500 pair of GAP blue jeans. Obviously I didnít sign and take delivery. I immediately called AJís and they in turn called DW. DW NEVER found the kit. 3 weeks after I deployed I got my money back. I found [email protected] and he turned me to the Masterworks drums and Iíve been with Pearl ever since.

In 2010 I was chatting with a buddy of mine at Lexington Drum Center in Lexington,KY and the DW Rep came in and we all 3 started chatting. I decided to tell my story and when I got to the part of opening the box, the Rep blurts out ďYou got 500 pair of Leviís.Ē I started rolling. I said they were actually ďGapĒ jeans, but you obviously heard the story. He said EVERY rep in the country was trying to find that kit and they never did. I have no idea who got it and to this day I havenít seen a pic of them anywhere.
    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

2. What's in YOUR stickbag?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    I immediately called AJ’s and they in turn called DW. DW NEVER found the kit. 3 weeks after I deployed I got my money back. I found [email protected] and he turned me to the Masterworks drums and I’ve been with Pearl ever since.
    I was just going to sit back and nod as I read until I got to the quoted part. I had already decided that I was Pearl4Life after my first Pearl kit (Chrome finish Export 5pc) that i bought while stationed in Germany. A few years later, I decided I wanted a new kit and sold the Export to my keyboardist (who turned around and sold it to his kid brother, who was starting on drums, for twice for what I sold it to him for). Anywho, I bought an Export Select and loved it. I got stationed in Cali, and was about to move to Illinois when the Vision series came out. Looking at the price point and the specs, I immediately started researching where to get one. I'm pretty sure I found Massmusic and PDF at close to the same time (Dec 2007/Jan 2008). I called (yes, called, this was RIGHT before cell phones were issued at birth), and talked to Andy about my situation...He helped get things figured out and held my order until I was ready.
    Long story longer, I moved to Illinois in Feb, got my "permanent" housing beginning of March, so I put in this MASSIVE order...10pc double bass kit, 4 sided ICON rack w/ mini bars, all tom and cymbal mounts, High-hat and remote hat stands, snare stands, a set of Protection Racket bags and some odds and ends. Got the main rack (3-sided) and clamps, hi-hat and snare stands a week later, all the drums, minus 1 kick, 14 floor, and 13 rack showed up 3 or 4 days later, and the backordered drums finally showed up mid-July. No issues, no returns, no problem. That pretty much cemented my Pearl-ification. I have since bought a Reference, a Crystal Beat, and a Midtown....haven't sold a kit since that Chrome Export.
    Last edited by StickS707; 06-18-2020 at 03:22 PM.

3. Reference Guru

Quote Originally Posted by StickS707 View Post
    I was just going to sit back and nod as I read until I got to the quoted part. I had already decided that I was Pearl4Life after my first Pearl kit (Chrome finish Export 5pc) that i bought while stationed in Germany. A few years later, I decided I wanted a new kit and sold the Export to my keyboardist (who turned around and sold it to his kid brother, who was starting on drums, for twice for what I sold it to him for). Anywho, I bought an Export Select and loved it. I got stationed in Cali, and was about to move to Illinois when the Vision series came out. Looking at the price point and the specs, I immediately started researching where to get one. I'm pretty sure I found Massmusic and PDF at close to the same time (Dec 2007/Jan 2008). I called (yes, called, this was RIGHT before cell phones were issued at birth), and talked to Andy about my situation...He helped get things figured out and held my order until I was ready.
    Long story longer, I moved to Illinois in Feb, got my "permanent" housing beginning of March, so I put in this MASSIVE order...10pc double bass kit, 4 sided ICON rack w/ mini bars, all tom and cymbal mounts, High-hat and remote hat stands, snare stands, a set of Protection Racket bags and some odds and ends. Got the main rack (3-sided) and clamps, hi-hat and snare stands a week later, all the drums, minus 1 kick, 14 floor, and 13 rack showed up 3 or 4 days later, and the backordered drums finally showed up mid-July. No issues, no returns, no problem. That pretty much cemented my Pearl-ification. I have since bought a Reference, a Crystal Beat, and a Midtown....haven't sold a kit since that Chrome Export.
    That’s awesome! Yeah, my ordeal helped me realize I wasn’t supposed to play DW drums. I LOVE my Pearl Drums and the guys at Pearl. They have been good to me over the years.

4. Registered User

I highly suspect a warehouse worker at DHL has the DW Kit you ordered. They’re crooked. I’ve had very bad dealings with them in the past.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    I highly suspect a warehouse worker at DHL has the DW Kit you ordered. They’re crooked. I’ve had very bad dealings with them in the past.
    It’s literally the only logical explanation. But how does one rip off an entire drum kit in multiple large boxes? No one internally noticed? The tracking system didn’t red flag it?
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Reference Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    Well he has been stealthy about it. No one has EVER seen that kit. And it is very identifiable. Not many Broken Glass double bass kits with Gold hardware floating around.

7. Registered User

I've worked in food and retail for most of my working life, so I'm full of stories (my favorite is still the guy who threatened to kill me over a pink lemonade). But since I'm assuming this thread is specifically music themed and from our POV as customer, I'll re-share this little diddy from a few years ago.

I was looking to buy a Decade Maple kit, so I went to the nearest music store to check them out because I knew they had one. I go to the drum department and ask to try it out, and it sounded terrible. It was insultingly bad. When I mentioned it to the drum rep, he looked me square in the eye and with zero irony and 100% sincerity said "yeah, that's probably my fault. I don't know how to tune drums and I don't feel like taking the time to learn." I stared at him waiting for the punchline... none came. He was dead serious. So I thanked him for his time and left. That particular location was infamous for hiring people who were savagely unqualified.
    A year later I managed to order a Decade and it sounds amazing.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    It’s literally the only logical explanation. But how does one rip off an entire drum kit in multiple large boxes? No one internally noticed? The tracking system didn’t red flag it?
    An old Biker friend of mine sadly works for them. He used to deliver for a smaller outfit before DHL absorbed them. He’s told me of similar stories.

9. Totally Rad

Shame you never got your DW's, they are great kits! Cant say I've ever seen that kit either, but its on my radar now if I ever do!

10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

I thought it was just an urban legend .. lol .. I heard about this story in like 2012 talking to manager at music shop .. that's crazy that it was actually true

11. Reference Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    I thought it was just an urban legend .. lol .. I heard about this story in like 2012 talking to manager at music shop .. that's crazy that it was actually true
    Which music shop? That’s awesome. I was completely surprised the DW rep actually knew.

12. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    Which music shop? That’s awesome. I was completely surprised the DW rep actually knew.
    Sam ash .. word must have gotten around if I heard it from manager .. when I read your post I was like "no fugging way" .. lol