Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Large, ludwig concert tom kit question for rack

Hi pals!

I've got a giant concert tom ludwig kit (6-20" toms & 24" bass drum). Currently I'm using stands, and I think long-term I'd prefer a rack. they're a combination of clip mounts and L-arm mounts. I'd like to run 6 rack toms, 2 floors, two floors to the right of the floor toms; think Ian Paice or Taylor Hawkins). I'm not terribly worried about reselling the kit with the vintage ludwig cymbal stands and tom mounts, as I think this is my 'forever kit'.

What rack would you recommend economically? I'll need upwards of 14-16 mounting brackets and 5-6 cymbal boom arms. I've had a high end yamaha rack (too expensive) in the past and a gibraltar rack. I see a lot of people use the pearl ICON racks, is there a brand you find on the used market? I'm guestimating the whole thing might cost me $1000-1500 on the used market.

Any ideas for mounting? I'm not a fan of the clip mounts. Pearl ISS mounts look like the easiest conversion; especially because they're concert toms. I'm planning on adding resonant heads to 12/13/14/15 rack toms and keeping the 6/8/10 as concerts.
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    Hi pals!

I've got a giant concert tom ludwig kit (6-20" toms & 24" bass drum). Currently I'm using stands, and I think long-term I'd prefer a rack. they're a combination of clip mounts and L-arm mounts. I'd like to run 6 rack toms, 2 floors, two floors to the right of the floor toms; think Ian Paice or Taylor Hawkins). I'm not terribly worried about reselling the kit with the vintage ludwig cymbal stands and tom mounts, as I think this is my 'forever kit'.

What rack would you recommend economically? I'll need upwards of 14-16 mounting brackets and 5-6 cymbal boom arms. I've had a high end yamaha rack (too expensive) in the past and a gibraltar rack. I see a lot of people use the pearl ICON racks, is there a brand you find on the used market? I'm guestimating the whole thing might cost me $1000-1500 on the used market.

Any ideas for mounting? I'm not a fan of the clip mounts. Pearl ISS mounts look like the easiest conversion; especially because they're concert toms. I'm planning on adding resonant heads to 12/13/14/15 rack toms and keeping the 6/8/10 as concerts.
    My drum OCD would keep me from using a Pearl rack with a Luddy kit but honestly, for your situation, I’d lean toward Gibraltar.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Healthie View Post
    Hi pals!

I'd say Gibraltar rack, and look at the Ludwig Atlas mounts. Non drill and would replace a lug. Just make sure the hole spacing on the concert tom lugs would work. The Atlas has adjustable hole spacings so should be compatible. I'd also say 2 mounts on the 18" and 20" would be advisable if not already setup that way, just because of the amount of weight on a single L arm.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. Registered User

That’s killer, man. Can you post pics?
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

5. formerly TubCrusher

I have some Atlas mounts to sell....
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

6. Registered User

My Icon 511C Drum Rack cost me a little more than $1,200. That was including clamps, tom arms and Boom Cymbal Holders.
    If you're going to use ISS, or Opti-mounts with the shorter tom arms, that will get costly, especially since it's a Ludwig kit.
    I don't know your budget, or how large your kit is, but my cost was for 7 pc. kit with 9 cymbals.
    The Drum Rack I'm using is very durable, and I latter plan to stack the Icon 503C Rack on top as I add more to my set up.