Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Default TAMA Bubinga Question

Can anyone tell me anything about this drum like is it 100% bubinga, what year it was made, and anything else you want to share?

Other than the finish, how different is it to these?

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...Bubinga-Exotix
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by dale w miller; 05-31-2020 at 07:43 AM.

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Here's some info on a kit in that very finish. The shell will be 100% Bubinga but I couldn't say anything on its age.

Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Can anyone tell me anything about this drum like is it 100% bubinga, what year it was made, and anything else you want to share?

Judging by the strainer and badge, it looks like it’s about 2015 or later. Couldn’t really tell you much more but it’s definitely 100% bubinga and that finish is a lacquer I believe, not sure about the name of it. I’ve been in a Starclassic hole lately and I’ve been learning a lot about them, Tama changes up the options on them pretty frequently which is both a cool thing as well as annoying in some ways.
    Black Lives Matter

4. Playing since 1976

This drum had to be made between 2015 and now. The finish is called Light Jade Burst (LGB). The drum was made in China. The specific drum you pictured appears to have a crooked badge under the lacquer, which I don't remember ever seeing. It also has a crooked badge on the inner shell, where the threaded air vent is installed. From the pics, I think the hoops have pitting in the chrome, which is common for drums that are exposed to the elements, more than normal (like being stored in a garage, attic, basement, or somewhere where humidity is not controlled well).

Do you like this particular drum because it kinda goes with your Coke bottle green drums?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I hate matching drums. I just remember being at NAMM one year and Nick Campbell (Analogbeatmaker) showed me one and it sounded amazing. I don’t remember what year it was, but it was definitely in the ‘00’s.

6. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    This drum had to be made between 2015 and now. The finish is called Light Jade Burst (LGB). The drum was made in China. The specific drum you pictured appears to have a crooked badge under the lacquer, which I don't remember ever seeing. It also has a crooked badge on the inner shell, where the threaded air vent is installed. From the pics, I think the hoops have pitting in the chrome, which is common for drums that are exposed to the elements, more than normal (like being stored in a garage, attic, basement, or somewhere where humidity is not controlled well).

Do you like this particular drum because it kinda goes with your Coke bottle green drums?
    Matt, What’s the difference between the Starclassic bubinga shell and the SLP G bubing shell other than one is 6.5” deep and the other 6”?
    My SLP bubinga sounds amazing. It sounds great tuned high, medium or low.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Matt, What’s the difference between the Starclassic bubinga shell and the SLP G bubing shell other than one is 6.5” deep and the other 6”?
    My SLP bubinga sounds amazing. It sounds great tuned high, medium or low.
    They are similar shells, both made in China. The SLP G-Bubinga shell is 12-ply, 10mm thick. The Starclassic Bubinga shells have varied over the years. I've seen 8-ply and 9-ply versions. The 2017 version is 9-ply, 7mm thick. I think the large tuning range is due to the bearing edges and snare beds.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

What do you think makes the earlier models sound better to my ears than the ones now?

9. Playing since 1976

What do you think makes the earlier models sound better to my ears than the ones now?
    Not sure. You were originally talking about getting an 8" deep bubinga snare. I think the 8" depth, compared to 6.5" or 6" depth, is a much bigger factor than when the shell was made. Maybe if you had them together in the same room, now, with the same heads, sticks, and tuning, you'd be able to figure out the difference, or realize how similar they are?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Not sure. You were originally talking about getting an 8" deep bubinga snare. I think the 8" depth, compared to 6.5" or 6" depth, is a much bigger factor than when the shell was made. Maybe if you had them together in the same room, now, with the same heads, sticks, and tuning, you'd be able to figure out the difference, or realize how similar they are?
    It was an 8x14 that I heard, but the difference in depth I’m not sure is it. Let’s say for discussion sake the comparison is of the same exact size. Why do you think I like ‘00’s I tried and how different are these nuances you speak off year to year/model to model would determine the difference between them?

11. Playing since 1976

It was an 8x14 that I heard, but the difference in depth I’m not sure is it. Let’s say for discussion sake the comparison is of the same exact size. Why do you think I like ‘00’s I tried and how different are these nuances you speak off year to year/model to model would determine the difference between them?
    I have no idea. I do know that 8" deep snares and 6.5" deep snares are very different in sound and feel. I also know that it is very difficult to A/B compare instruments from memory. It's much better to compare when the instruments are right next to each other, same time, same room, etc. This is why so many people have trouble buying individual cymbals at the music store. They could sound great at the store, in that setting, and then sound completely different when they are incorporated into the drum set.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I have no idea. I do know that 8" deep snares and 6.5" deep snares are very different in sound and feel. I also know that it is very difficult to A/B compare instruments from memory. It's much better to compare when the instruments are right next to each other, same time, same room, etc. This is why so many people have trouble buying individual cymbals at the music store. They could sound great at the store, in that setting, and then sound completely different when they are incorporated into the drum set.
    That we all know.

What’s the point of knowing it was X Ply, X thick, with X edges, etc. if a sound can’t be predetermined in some way? Who cares? Could most of us even tell in a blind test?

Try it and if you like it, then great. The only thing that can be determined before hearing it is the finish and how well it’s built. This is why I never bought into the marketing bull that so many people argue.

Do I like the fact the GMS lugs are made of brass? Of course, I do. It shows they took care in creating a quality instrument. Do I think it truly has an effect on the sound? What about if a metal shell is cast or has a seem? Who knows?

Even listening to my own drums I can only tell you what ones I like better than others. My 6.5x14 GMS Vintage maple snare always wins and my 8x14 Premier “I survived a fire” birch snare always loses. The rest flip around depending on the day and how they happened to be tuned or what they are fitted with?

Something tells me if they all don’t sound equally good considering the quality they are, I either have a favorite I’m used to or I have not brought out the best in the other drums. Eh, forget it. I’m rambling anyway.
    Last edited by dale w miller; 05-31-2020 at 08:24 PM.