Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Converting an acoustic kit

My main purpose for starting this thread is to gather info and broaden my understanding of how everything works together, but as the title suggests I am considering the idea of converting an acoustic kit to electronic. From a physical parts standpoint, I understand the need for triggers, mesh heads, and a drum module, but beyond that on the software side of things I am unfamiliar with how everything works together and what I would be looking for.

My goal if I pursue this route would be to use Superior Drummer (or EZDrummer) for sounds and have it play back through my headphones to practice and/or play along to music - no recording necessary. Any information or specific gear recommendations are greatly appreciated.

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by drumfreek005 View Post
    My main purpose for starting this thread is to gather info and broaden my understanding of how everything works together, but as the title suggests I am considering the idea of converting an acoustic kit to electronic. From a physical parts standpoint, I understand the need for triggers, mesh heads, and a drum module, but beyond that on the software side of things I am unfamiliar with how everything works together and what I would be looking for.

My goal if I pursue this route would be to use Superior Drummer (or EZDrummer) for sounds and have it play back through my headphones to practice and/or play along to music - no recording necessary. Any information or specific gear recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    You’re doing this to your SC?
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drumfreek005 View Post

Join Vdrum forum to start. Sadly, one of the most knowledgeable and friendly sources for this exact instance, just ever so recently passed away, R.I.P. JMAN. However, there are many threads discussing this very topic. I'm triggering sd3 via USB direct into my computer from an ATV ad5. Im also running a mimic pro but haven't tried it with sd3 yet as it doesn't do midi over usb. My experience triggering vsts is limited but having a module that uses a usb for midi out, seems to be the preferred method for the lowest latency yields and most plug and play starting point. I converted a cheap swingstar kit and it was super easy. I didnt build any triggers but just followed a really straight forward assembly procedure. Deciding which module you'll be using will have some correlation to the types of triggers you'll need too. Soom modules are more suited to triggering sd3 than others too and that's a consideration to make as well. Take your time and read a lot and watch a lot of youtube videos and you can't go wrong.

4. There can be only 1

Check out this guy on YouTube, he seems to have a lot of info.
    https://youtu.be/iUx_YbwAzb8

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Join Vdrum forum to start. Sadly, one of the most knowledgeable and friendly sources for this exact instance, just ever so recently passed away, R.I.P. JMAN. However, there are many threads discussing this very topic. I'm triggering sd3 via USB direct into my computer from an ATV ad5. Im also running a mimic pro but haven't tried it with sd3 yet as it doesn't do midi over usb. My experience triggering vsts is limited but having a module that uses a usb for midi out, seems to be the preferred method for the lowest latency yields and most plug and play starting point. I converted a cheap swingstar kit and it was super easy. I didnt build any triggers but just followed a really straight forward assembly procedure. Deciding which module you'll be using will have some correlation to the types of triggers you'll need too. Soom modules are more suited to triggering sd3 than others too and that's a consideration to make as well. Take your time and read a lot and watch a lot of youtube videos and you can't go wrong.
    Thank you! Joined the forum earlier today and seems like an excellent source.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    Check out this guy on YouTube, he seems to have a lot of info.
    https://youtu.be/iUx_YbwAzb8
    I found him doing some random "googling" the other day. Definitely sounds knowledgeable. Thank you for the link!

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I personally don’t see the point of conversion. Why not have both? Use regular heads, get that live sound, and blend the electronic element. If you want an electronic kit due to the need of silent practice, then buy a cheap electronic kit.

7. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I personally don’t see the point of conversion. Why not have both? Use regular heads, get that live sound, and blend the electronic element. If you want an electronic kit due to the need of silent practice, then buy a cheap electronic kit.
    For me personally, when I play a traditional E-Kit it feels like a toy. When I play an acoustic kit converted it feels like I’m playing real drums. Sitting behind a real kit is still part of the enjoyment. To me it’s no different than a single bass vs double bass kit. You can buy good pedals that will play double bass on a single bass drum with no issues. There is zero reason to need a double bass kit, but it feels cool to sit behind a bad a** double bass kit.

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    For me personally, when I play a traditional E-Kit it feels like a toy. When I play an acoustic kit converted it feels like I’m playing real drums. Sitting behind a real kit is still part of the enjoyment. To me it’s no different than a single bass vs double bass kit. You can buy good pedals that will play double bass on a single bass drum with no issues. There is zero reason to need a double bass kit, but it feels cool to sit behind a bad a** double bass kit.
    It’s all in your head. You’re still hitting mesh heads.

9. Registered User

It’s all in your head. You’re still hitting mesh heads.
    I think the positioning and proportions of a converted E-kit can play a factor in the experience. It's all still in your head obviously, but it is more than just playing mesh heads as well.

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I think the positioning and proportions of a converted E-kit can play a factor in the experience. It's all still in your head obviously, but it is more than just playing mesh heads as well.
    You can position anything anywhere with an electronic kit. In fact, you have even more flexibility.

11. There can be only 1

You can position anything anywhere with an electronic kit. In fact, you have even more flexibility.
    Yes, but a properly positioned E-Kit looks goofy. Sitting behind a full size set of drums still “feels” better IMO & if I need a quiet option long term a full size set of drums is more fun to play. Plus the sound on these newer modules are getting pretty impressive. That new Pearl module is very impressive.

12. Registered User

You can, and you do, but it is more difficult to envision where to place things without a physical object to force your hand.

Everyone preaches low and close for toms, because it's good ergonomics. With E-kits you can obviously take that to the extreme, and it can be hard to defeat the mindset when setting up. Still a mental game, but an understandable one.