Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default which snare and why? pros and cons for each please

As a Pearl "noob" I am not too sure on these available snares for me. quality, sound, reliability etc. I have an option to get used but great condition. pearl crystal beat Acrylic snare 14x5 or sensitone mahogany 15x5. Can anyone or everyone give your experience and thought both for or against both. I do not play clubs any
    more, but my style leans towards, rock, prog but i do play pop and dabble in various styles to get some chops and skill work. thanks guys and gals

2. There can be only 1

I personally wouldn’t buy an acrylic for fear of cracking and I wouldn’t buy a 15” snare simply because it’s harder to get heads & will it fit in your stand? If you meant 14” sensitone mahogany then I’d pick that of the 2 choices you listed.
    Last edited by The Kurgan; 05-27-2020 at 02:32 PM.

3. Registered User

thanks. I see they have 15 and 14 Waiting confirmation on the sensitone. I get ya on the acrylic. thanks good thought there

4. Chomp, Chomp

The Crystal Beat is free floater. It could be an interesting purchase. Other shells are available. The retail price on those is about $940. Street price is around $560. Just a thought.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    The Crystal Beat is free floater. It could be an interesting purchase. Other shells are available. The retail price on those is about $940. Street price is around $560. Just a thought.
    Thanks man. the crystal beat is also seamless from what I read. confirmation the mahogany sensitone is a 15"

6. Experienced Noob

I would buy the Crystal Beat, no questions asked. Here are my reasons:

1. I would never use a 15" snare, regardless of material. You may have problems getting it in some snare stands but more importantly, it will feel odd & may not comfortably fit between the legs.
    2. I have 6.5 x 14 Crystal Beat snare & it sounds awesome. Now, maybe the 5" deep one will be a different story, but I'd take that chance. Acrylic is a surprisingly great sounding shell material.
    3. Even if you don't like the shell's sound, you have a free floater chassis that you could fill with other shells. I have 2 free floater chassis and 4 shells. I plan to add at least 1 more, but likely will be more than that. Free floaters are a great way to build your snare collection relatively inexpensively.

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Barrycuda View Post
    As a Pearl "noob" I am not too sure on these available snares for me. quality, sound, reliability etc. I have an option to get used but great condition. pearl crystal beat Acrylic snare 14x5 or sensitone mahogany 15x5. Can anyone or everyone give your experience and thought both for or against both. I do not play clubs any
    more, but my style leans towards, rock, prog but i do play pop and dabble in various styles to get some chops and skill work. thanks guys and gals
    The 5x15 Sensitone is a nice drum. I wouldn't have it as my only snare, but it definitely has it's place in a large collection of snares, due to it's uniqueness. It is deep and throaty sounding. When you tune it higher, you start to get that sharp crack sound that so many drummers like, but it's in a lower register. It would be great in a rock/pop setting, especially one that requires a deep, fat backbeat. I recently sold one on Reverb, but I still have my own.

Like Mike mentioned, you need to make sure your snare stand will accommodate a 15" drum, as many don't. As far as feel, I don't have any trouble sitting in front of snare drums between 12" and 15". A small adjustment of my throne is all it takes to make everything feel fine.

You mentioned reliability in your original post. I don't think the Sensitone is any more or less reliable than other quality instruments. If you take care of it, it should last just as long as any other snare drum.

Name:  sta1550mh2small.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  68.3 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    The 5x15 Sensitone is a nice drum. I wouldn't have it as my only snare, but it definitely has it's place in a large collection of snares, due to it's uniqueness. It is deep and throaty sounding. When you tune it higher, you start to get that sharp crack sound that so many drummers like, but it's in a lower register. It would be great in a rock/pop setting, especially one that requires a deep, fat backbeat. I recently sold one on Reverb, but I still have my own.

Like Mike mentioned, you need to make sure your snare stand will accommodate a 15" drum, as many don't. As far as feel, I don't have any trouble sitting in front of snare drums between 12" and 15". A small adjustment of my throne is all it takes to make everything feel fine.

You mentioned reliability in your original post. I don't think the Sensitone is any more or less reliable than other quality instruments. If you take care of it, it should last just as long as any other snare drum.

Name:  sta1550mh2small.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  68.3 KB
    I guess the relevant question is what other snares do you have? D4L is very knowledgeable on snares and if I was going to spend $500ish on a snare I’m not sure those would be my only two options. Matt, what are some good choices in the range he’s looking at? I like the Black Panther line & they are all pretty reasonable, Gretsch makes some killer sounding snares for a reasonable price. I picked up a pearl Vinnie Paul signature snare pretty reasonable and it’s a killer snare. Why just those two choices?

9. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
    I guess the relevant question is what other snares do you have? D4L is very knowledgeable on snares and if I was going to spend $500ish on a snare I’m not sure those would be my only two options. Matt, what are some good choices in the range he’s looking at? I like the Black Panther line & they are all pretty reasonable, Gretsch makes some killer sounding snares for a reasonable price. I picked up a pearl Vinnie Paul signature snare pretty reasonable and it’s a killer snare. Why just those two choices?
    I agree, there are TOO MANY choices of snare drums in the $300-$500 range, which is why I stuck to what the OP was talking about. I didn't mention free-floaters, as I'm not a huge fan of them, despite owning 2 special ones.

I'm not purchasing any snare drums in this range, but if I were in the market for a nice-sounding snare drum in the $300-$500 range, it would have to be a Tama Starclassic. The Starclassic Birch/Walnut is in the $300-$400 range, and a Starclassic Maple or Bubinga is in the $500-$600 range, but you could definitely get one for $500 with savvy shopping, used if necessary.

Almost all brands make nice snare drums in the $300-$500 range. Here are the snares I would recommend in this price range. Some would have to be purchased used to stay within the budget.

1) Ludwig Supraphonic or Black Beauty
    2) DW Collectors (many different wood shells available)
    3) Gretsch Rosewood
    4) Oriollo Phantom
    5) Tama SLP Bubinga (Marv, quicksticks, really likes this drum)
    6) British Drum Company Big Softy (great fat sound)
    7) Canopus Brass (little outside the budget, but worth saving a little extra - Shane from DCofP says that many people go with Canopus snare drums, when they come in, open-minded and unbiased, purely based on sound)

That's my $0.02... start shopping, as there are almost 16,000 snare drums on Reverb to peruse through
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE