Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Unban nik12

I appreciate all the suggestions! As much as I’d like to buy one of the new SC Maples that have my desires sizes and some really great finishes, I don’t know if I could ever bring myself to spend $2700 on a drum kit. At the end of the day, they are just drums and like I said, the most I’ve ever spent on a high end kit is $600 lol.

Once this corona crap is over, I’m hoping to get back to touring and having a set with some cosmetic flaws is definitely something I’m used to, and am not opposed to. My thinking with the “damaged” SC Maple kit is that I do gig my drums and I’m not always the most careful at all times, so they’re bound to get some scratches, dents, dings, what have you. I’m gonna try to lowball him into selling them for $1000 (he’s already come down significantly from $2k to $1500), but if he doesn’t go for it, I’ll just hold on to my money and wait on the right used deal later on down the line. I feel like at this point, I’ve looked at every used Starclassic kit on the market and honestly, this has been the only setup that checks all my boxes, although it’s got the floor tom issue. I’m still not sure if it would actually be that hard to fix it with some wood glue and some sanding inside the shell. Since I started looking a week ago, there have been numerous kits that have sold on Reverb, which is honestly kind of surprising to me.

I did look pretty deeply into the Mapex Saturns but, the same issue with the bubinga and bubinga/birch shells are that the none of those offer the sizes that I want. I’ve grown to hate 16x14 floor toms and I would rather try to avoid a 22x18 kick. There are some nice finishes and they’re definitely solid drums but I don’t think I’m out of line for not wanting to budge on the sizes once the price gets up to $1600-$2000, but if I was looking around the $1000 mark, I’d be willing to sacrifice some of the sizes for the right shells.
    Black Lives Matter

2. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    It is their most popular finish at the moment. There are 4 other finishes to choose from. This one is nice.

https://www.drumazon.com/products/ma...ist-maple-burl
    That looks good.

3. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    I appreciate all the suggestions! As much as I’d like to buy one of the new SC Maples that have my desires sizes and some really great finishes, I don’t know if I could ever bring myself to spend $2700 on a drum kit. At the end of the day, they are just drums and like I said, the most I’ve ever spent on a high end kit is $600 lol.

Once this corona crap is over, I’m hoping to get back to touring and having a set with some cosmetic flaws is definitely something I’m used to, and am not opposed to. My thinking with the “damaged” SC Maple kit is that I do gig my drums and I’m not always the most careful at all times, so they’re bound to get some scratches, dents, dings, what have you. I’m gonna try to lowball him into selling them for $1000 (he’s already come down significantly from $2k to $1500), but if he doesn’t go for it, I’ll just hold on to my money and wait on the right used deal later on down the line. I feel like at this point, I’ve looked at every used Starclassic kit on the market and honestly, this has been the only setup that checks all my boxes, although it’s got the floor tom issue. I’m still not sure if it would actually be that hard to fix it with some wood glue and some sanding inside the shell. Since I started looking a week ago, there have been numerous kits that have sold on Reverb, which is honestly kind of surprising to me.

I did look pretty deeply into the Mapex Saturns but, the same issue with the bubinga and bubinga/birch shells are that the none of those offer the sizes that I want. I’ve grown to hate 16x14 floor toms and I would rather try to avoid a 22x18 kick. There are some nice finishes and they’re definitely solid drums but I don’t think I’m out of line for not wanting to budge on the sizes once the price gets up to $1600-$2000, but if I was looking around the $1000 mark, I’d be willing to sacrifice some of the sizes for the right shells.
    Jelly bean it in the sizes you want looking for scratched ones & wrap it. At $1000 I’d consider that one though.

4. Registered User

Since you do not like the short 16x 14 floor , Have you been by Forks did they have 16 x 16 in the DW performance because they made that size it might not be in your color , but then you would know what you did not like about that kit also The DW Performance are not a collectors drums , You might find an MLX or BLX to be that back up kit , Most were 22x16 kicks and 16x16 floor and plenty of volume and wrap it with what you like it will not be as new as the Tama B/B but still a good workhorse for gigs.
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

5. Registered User

Boy you just missed a hell of a deal at drum fourm. Near new Yamaha tour custom sold in the sizes you mentioned for $1000.00
    10,12,13,14,16,22 I think it was with a snare available.

Anyway, have you looked at the Gretcsh renown line? I really like these myself.

6. There can be only 1

Also check out Dales drum shop. They get some nice stuff. I got my SCB from them.

7. Registered User

Precision drum company.

8. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
    Since you do not like the short 16x 14 floor , Have you been by Forks did they have 16 x 16 in the DW performance because they made that size it might not be in your color , but then you would know what you did not like about that kit also The DW Performance are not a collectors drums , You might find an MLX or BLX to be that back up kit , Most were 22x16 kicks and 16x16 floor and plenty of volume and wrap it with what you like it will not be as new as the Tama B/B but still a good workhorse for gigs.
    I've played other 16x14 toms that I felt sounded fatter, but 16x16 definitely is the winning size for me. I briefly looked for a MCX or BCX but couldn't find one that did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by doomonyou View Post
    Boy you just missed a hell of a deal at drum fourm. Near new Yamaha tour custom sold in the sizes you mentioned for $1000.00
    10,12,13,14,16,22 I think it was with a snare available.

Anyway, have you looked at the Gretcsh renown line? I really like these myself.
    Thanks for the heads up about DFO, I forgot that existed. Found a Yamaha Live Custom for sale that has 10x7, 12x8, 16x15, 22x18, trying to talk the guy down on the price a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    Precision drum company.
    Sent them a quote, but I have a feeling it'll be out of my price range, their production kits are pushing the top of my budget for a 3 piece lol.

Also the SCM guy didn't take $1000 but he's considering $1200. That's a price I would jump on I think, considering I'd have to drive all the way to Chicago to get them.
    Black Lives Matter

9. Unban nik12

These just came up for sale. Lowest price I've seen on an SC Bubinga. I sent him an offer, so we'll see where it goes.

https://reverb.com/item/33811152-tam...-w-evans-heads
    Black Lives Matter

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    These just came up for sale. Lowest price I've seen on an SC Bubinga. I sent him an offer, so we'll see where it goes.

https://reverb.com/item/33811152-tam...-w-evans-heads
    They come up at that price occassionally. Even the MIJ decal badge kits. I almost bought an ultraviolet sparkle kit once and a scorched copper burst kit on another occasion, for under 1400 bucks. Should have gotten the copper kit. That finish is really nice.

11. Unban nik12

So, if I’ve played my cards right, I might actually be getting 2 kits, a B/B with a full set of hardware as well as a SC maple. Stay tuned.
    Black Lives Matter

12. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    They come up at that price occassionally. Even the MIJ decal badge kits. I almost bought an ultraviolet sparkle kit once and a scorched copper burst kit on another occasion, for under 1400 bucks. Should have gotten the copper kit. That finish is really nice.
    The Scorched Copper Burst is amazing. I got lucky finding mine in my preferred sizes. If Tama will take orders and do Scorched Copper on a new kit it would be worth the price tag.