Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. PEARL EXX

Default Drums are drums. Maybe

Just a thought, if a great drummer was to play at a concert with a $700 set the crowd would be up and shouting. If a great drummer was to have a $5000 set also the crowd would be up and shouting. Iím talking about a live show. True or false

2. Registered User

What if the rest of the band sucked? Could the drummer carry everyone else to the point that the crowd would be up and shouting??? Is the crowd family or total strangers? Is the band playing popular covers or are they playing original music no one has ever heard before? Is the crowd drunk???

Damn, too many variables in this equation for me to answer. Anyone else?

3. Registered User

A skilled drummer can make a set of exports with good heads and tuning sound good, as He/She would a Reference Kit. A CB percussion or westbury starter kit are going to sound like garbage no matter what you do to them. That being said, I would say 95% percent of an audience that aren’t musicians couldn’t care less about the sound of the drums. Other musicians and especially drummers in the audience are the only ones who notice aspects like Brand, kit set up, sound/tone and finishes. For the most part it’s not really the kit, but the interaction, technique and showmanship of the drummer that gets the audience cheering or shouting.
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 05-20-2020 at 11:04 PM.

4. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by NO DRUMS View Post
    Just a thought, if a great drummer was to play at a concert with a $700 set the crowd would be up and shouting. If a great drummer was to have a $5000 set also the crowd would be up and shouting. Iím talking about a live show. True or false
    There is an interesting dichotomy, in my personal philosophy about this.

Without a shred of doubt; it's always about the music not the gear. It's about what you play and (mostly) how you play it, rather than what you play on. The average music listener\concert attendee doesn't pay all that much attention to the gear if any. They are there to dance, feel something, or be amazed. Most musicians worth their salt feel the same way - they are happy to see a great player play great music, regardless of the "quality" of the gear they are using. Getting a great sound out of an instrument is part of being a good musician. A great player sounds great always, because the important stuff comes from their brain and their body.

Anyone who isn't impressed by someone because of their gear probably has some sort of musical insecurity issue, a superiority complex, or is classist... and needs to pull their head back out of their ***.

That said; gear can have a big impact on how a band sounds, and people do respond to sound, sometimes consciously and sometimes unconsciously. People usually enjoy live music more when there are subs, for example, because the low end they generate balances out the frequency spectrum; harsh high frequencies like guitars and cymbals are perceived as quieter and more pleasant because they are balanced. A nicely tuned (and mic'ed\mixed, if that's part of the situation) drum set will unconsciously garner a better reaction from the layperson. Most of these laypeople can watch a great drummer play on any kit and will be pleased by what they hear, but they'll subconsciously react better if the cymbals aren't too harsh and the drums are tuned nicely.

So, a great player will be apparent no matter what, but it is important to take the sonics of what you do into consideration. This isn't about having fancy or expensive gear though - this is about two things:

1. Knowing how to cultivate good tone through your performance. From the drummer's perspective, this means being able to create sensible dynamic levels between your instruments (like playing your cymbals softer than your drums, so the low frequencies and shorter sounds aren't overwhelmed by long, harsh frequencies). This is about working on grip and stick placement so that you can control the sound you create. This is about knowing how drum heads, shells and cymbals respond to strokes at different velocities, or on different areas of the surface. This is about understanding how to play to a room (play less in a boomy room, don't bury the beater in a dead room, don't play lots of crashes when you are surrounded by glass).

2. Investing the time and energy into maintaining your gear and tuning it nicely. Spend time not only learning how to tune your drums so they sound good, practice tuning to achieve different sounds - try to achieve different amounts of tone, sustain, attack etc so you can deal with different rooms or musical situations.. Experiment with different head types and cymbal techniques to draw different sounds out of your gear.

These two things should be a natural part of growing as a musician, but it's easy to focus so much on what we are doing that we forget to pay attention to how we do it.

To summarize; I agree with you. A great musician can impress, even on less than spectacular gear. Sound IS more important, but the price tag of your gear does not directly correlate with the sound that you create with it.

I mean, check this out. The musicality is high. His time and feel are very strong, his phrasing is interesting, and he's pulling a great selection of tones out of garbage... not to mention singing too... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrKANDysSL0

And here's monsta-man Benny Grey playing a kid's toy drum set that would probably cost $75. Again, what he's playing is creative, interesting and the execution creates a great sound... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SziF4mesPA
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    A CB percussion or westbury starter kit are going to sound like garbage no matter what you do to them.
    I'd disagree. I've heard some pretty impressive treatments of these kits. They usually need a lot of love, in terms of better heads and muffling, but you can pull good tones out of them. It's just more work.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

6. Registered User

Under amplification it doesn't matter if you're playing Masterworks or walmart drums. A good sound man can make both sound great and a bad sound man can make both sound like garbage.

That said, this in no way diminishes the quality of pro level drums. Do you reach a point of diminishing returns sound wise? Sure. But the fit and finish are also components of purchasing said kit, and as a general rule the more you spend the better those aspects are.

7. Registered User

I don't know - I played a set of cheap poplar drums, that I refurbished and treated VERY well, for about 3 years. I thought they sounded pretty damn good. Then I jumped on the chance to purchase a set of Gretsch maples (something I had always wanted) and the moment I hit those drums, I immediately realized the difference between drums that sound good and drums that sound incredible. I get the point you are making, but there is something to be said for craftsmanship and better quality materials.

8. PEARL EXX

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    What if the rest of the band sucked? Could the drummer carry everyone else to the point that the crowd would be up and shouting??? Is the crowd family or total strangers? Is the band playing popular covers or are they playing original music no one has ever heard before? Is the crowd drunk???

Damn, too many variables in this equation for me to answer. Anyone else?
    Don’t make no equation, just the question...... any great band but the drummer set he is playing costs around $700 .....I’m quite sure you all will know what I am asking without einstein intervening...Remember it’s just a (can it happen) thing that’s all. I hope no one with thousands of dollars sets will get offended.

9. Drumming Since 1943

Don’t make no equation, just the question...... any great band but the drummer set he is playing costs around $700 .....I’m quite sure you all will know what I am asking without einstein intervening...Remember it’s just a (can it happen) thing that’s all. I hope no one with thousands of dollars sets will get offended.
    Eaaaasssy there N00b.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Donít make no equation, just the question...... any great band but the drummer set he is playing costs around $700 .....Iím quite sure you all will know what I am asking without einstein intervening...Remember itís just a (can it happen) thing thatís all. I hope no one with thousands of dollars sets will get offended.
    While the topic is interesting, this statement reeks of someone trolling.

11. Registered User

Of course it can happen. It's a stupid question.

12. PEARL EXX

Explain the meaning of trolling on this site as I only seek information or opinions on drumset pricing (Low budget drums $700 range) from the one who would have more knowledge than me. The ones who have actually played none expensive drum live or the possibility that it can be done or not. I hope this is a site for beginner drummers can learn how to avoid some mistake that would be cost savings down the line. Thanks all for the help and GOD BLESS