Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unban nik12

Default My 80s Tama Superstars

Picked these up a couple weeks into quarantine, theyre refinished with black lacquer paint but the guy did a great job with them. These are gonna stay set up in my practice space and Im gonna be touring with a different set of drums just because I want to keep these as nice as I can, and touring with these big boys would definitely be a pain in the ***.

13/16/24 are dated at 82, 18 floor is dated at 84 and the snare is unknown at this point, but the lugs make me feel like maybe late 80s/early 90s. I was considering cutting down the 13 to maybe 8 inches deep but after finally getting them set up, I think Im gonna leave the power tom alone. Theres some surface rust on some of the hardware which Ill eventually clean up at some point, but for now, Im just excited as hell to have them. Got them for a measly $400 too!

13x12
    16x16
    18x16
    24x14
    14x8
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Picked these up a couple weeks into quarantine, they’re refinished with black lacquer paint but the guy did a great job with them. These are gonna stay set up in my practice space and I’m gonna be touring with a different set of drums just because I want to keep these as nice as I can, and touring with these big boys would definitely be a pain in the ***.

13/16/24 are dated at 82, 18 floor is dated at 84 and the snare is unknown at this point, but the lugs make me feel like maybe late 80’s/early 90’s. I was considering cutting down the 13” to maybe 8 inches deep but after finally getting them set up, I think I’m gonna leave the power tom alone. There’s some surface rust on some of the hardware which I’ll eventually clean up at some point, but for now, I’m just excited as hell to have them. Got them for a measly $400 too!

13x12
    16x16
    18x16
    24x14
    14x8
    Very nice. If you ever want to cut down that tom, I'd sent it to Gary at Precision Drum Company. He'd do a nice job for you. Also, if you ever find a newer MTH900 double tom mount, you could remove the second tom mount, and replace it with a cymbal boom for a splash, crash, or ride.

Name:  tama-mth900bs-single-tom-holder-1-64354.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  60.0 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Very nice. If you ever want to cut down that tom, I'd sent it to Gary at Precision Drum Company. He'd do a nice job for you. Also, if you ever find a newer MTH900 double tom mount, you could remove the second tom mount, and replace it with a cymbal boom for a splash, crash, or ride.

Name:  tama-mth900bs-single-tom-holder-1-64354.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  60.0 KB
    So the older Superstars actually used some weird tube sizes, I’m not sure if that mount would work, but I’m pretty dang happy with my Omni Ball mount, I found it secondhand at a music store with all the original memory locks for $20! It’s era-correct, just wish the tom bracket was still on it. I picked up a Star mount today and it fits perfectly. They sound huge too! I am gonna end up getting a set of Roadpro hardware so I’ll have 2 complete kits, I’m really excited to gig these out!

4. Registered User

That looks super nice!! What heads are those on the toms? PS3's? How do you like them? What do you have for the resonant side?

5. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by shawbone View Post
    That looks super nice!! What heads are those on the toms? PS3's? How do you like them? What do you have for the resonant side?
    Thanks bud! When I bought them, the guy had literally just put P4 batters and Ambassador resos on so I let them stay even tho I don’t typically like pre-muffled heads. They work really well with the big sizes though, might end up grabbing them again, honestly. The toms sound super fat and punchy, which I love, definitely wouldn’t want these to be any other way.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Thanks bud! When I bought them, the guy had literally just put P4 batters and Ambassador resos on so I let them stay even tho I don’t typically like pre-muffled heads. They work really well with the big sizes though, might end up grabbing them again, honestly. The toms sound super fat and punchy, which I love, definitely wouldn’t want these to be any other way.
    Looks good. Keep an eye on those old lugs. They are prone to snap off with too high a tuning. Ask me how I know.
    I bought a set of lugs off of ebay for back ups.

7. Registered User

Killer set! Congrats.

8. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Looks good. Keep an eye on those old lugs. They are prone to snap off with too high a tuning. Ask me how I know.
    I bought a set of lugs off of ebay for back ups.
    Good to know, I appreciate the heads up! These are tuned super low and I don’t think they’ll ever get away from that.

9. A Passion Play ...

Those are so sharp. Put a smile on this old man’s face.
    Please post some more pictures of this kit. Beautiful.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Wow! Considering they are not the original finish anyway, Id cut the 12x13 to 9 deep. I dont recall them being that deep. They must have had different choices.

11. Reference Guru

That is not a 24x14. That’s a 24x16. If it were a 14” depth it would look a lot thinner.

Name:  FA1FB889-E8E3-49D2-8889-F0CE32F108A5.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  68.6 KB
    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x10 10x9 14x6.5

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Do the Superstars have the sprayed interior or is that just the Imperialstar?