Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Reference Guru

Default Post pics and list specs of your first real drum kit.

My first real drum kit was a Tama Granstar Custom in Heather Metallic finish. In the late 80ís, everything was black, red and a WHOLE lot of white drum kits.

Iíll never forget thumbing through Modern Drummer Magazine and coming across the Tama add. One side of the add was the Tama Granstarís which were wrapped finishes and the other half of the add were the Granstar Customs which were the lacquered finishes. The add showed all the finishes available and I remember seeing the Heather Metallic finish and thinking that is was so awesome.

A couple months later I walked in to Pat Moore music one Saturday and low and behold there was a 5 piece Tama Granstar Custom Kit in Heather Metallic. My jaw dropped. I was 17 at the time. I was in there a lot and Pat Moore came up to me and asked me what I thought. I said I had to have it, but I also need another floor Tom and bass drum to go with it. The cost for all 7 drums was 2900.00. I gave him 500.00 in cash that day and worked out a payment plan. He went ahead and ordered the 18x16 floor Tom and the second kick. Then he walked over and put a sold sign on the kit. It was the beginning of summer and I was delivering pizzas for Dominos. I used my tip money for all my 17 year old shenanigans and fun and every two weeks Iíd take my 400.00 pay check and sign the back of it and drive 75 miles to Evansville and hand him my paycheck. When the other two drums arrived he set them up in the standard 80ís Metal 7 piece set up and roped them off. I was so diligent about my paychecks that when I brought the last paycheck in to pay for them, Pat through in a Tama Power Tower rack. Driving home with that kit is a feeling and experience Iíll never forget. Anyway, here are the specs and a picture of the kit. I kick myself at least twice a year for selling it and buying a DW Kit. I donít have any pictures of my kit, but here are some pics of the finish.

Tama Granstar Custom in Heather Metallic finish....

22x16x2 (Virgin Bass Drums)
    18x16 FT
    16x16 FT
    13x12 RT
    12x11 RT
    14x6.5 SD

Name:  C3E3F989-38A0-4DA3-BEB7-D437182D8630.jpeg
Views: 165
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  5E061EEF-DD20-4F07-935A-5C4CA5DA5582.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  47.7 KB
    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x10 10x9 14x6.5

2. Registered User

Cool Story and Wow, I can’t believe he threw in a rack. Your story brought to mind this Tama ad with the late Randy Castillo. I too loved that finish. Quintessential 80’s metal set up with two gong drums.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any pic’s of my first kit. It was a Pearl World Series 7 piece in Ferrari Red with Red Paiste Coloursound cymbals. 8x10,10x12,11x13,12x14 rack toms, 16x16 Floor and 16x22 Bass, with 6.5 x14 snare. I used to have a huge Red Pearl banner behind it. I miss that kit at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 05-16-2020 at 01:10 AM.

3. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    My first real drum kit was a Tama Granstar Custom in Heather Metallic finish. In the late 80’s, everything was black, red and a WHOLE lot of white drum kits.

I’ll never forget thumbing through Modern Drummer Magazine and coming across the Tama add. One side of the add was the Tama Granstar’s which were wrapped finishes and the other half of the add were the Granstar Customs which were the lacquered finishes. The add showed all the finishes available and I remember seeing the Heather Metallic finish and thinking that is was so awesome.

A couple months later I walked in to Pat Moore music one Saturday and low and behold there was a 5 piece Tama Granstar Custom Kit in Heather Metallic. My jaw dropped. I was 17 at the time. I was in there a lot and Pat Moore came up to me and asked me what I thought. I said I had to have it, but I also need another floor Tom and bass drum to go with it. The cost for all 7 drums was 2900.00. I gave him 500.00 in cash that day and worked out a payment plan. He went ahead and ordered the 18x16 floor Tom and the second kick. Then he walked over and put a sold sign on the kit. It was the beginning of summer and I was delivering pizzas for Dominos. I used my tip money for all my 17 year old shenanigans and fun and every two weeks I’d take my 400.00 pay check and sign the back of it and drive 75 miles to Evansville and hand him my paycheck. When the other two drums arrived he set them up in the standard 80’s Metal 7 piece set up and roped them off. I was so diligent about my paychecks that when I brought the last paycheck in to pay for them, Pat through in a Tama Power Tower rack. Driving home with that kit is a feeling and experience I’ll never forget. Anyway, here are the specs and a picture of the kit. I kick myself at least twice a year for selling it and buying a DW Kit. I don’t have any pictures of my kit, but here are some pics of the finish.

Tama Granstar Custom in Heather Metallic finish....

22x16x2 (Virgin Bass Drums)
    18x16 FT
    16x16 FT
    13x12 RT
    12x11 RT
    14x6.5 SD

Name:  C3E3F989-38A0-4DA3-BEB7-D437182D8630.jpeg
Views: 165
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  5E061EEF-DD20-4F07-935A-5C4CA5DA5582.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  47.7 KB
    i knew a guy who sold tama CRESTARS in heather metalic ..it was a 7 piece double bass kit (2x24, 10, 12, 13, and 16 floor )
    whats even worse is, he not only sold them for bottom dollar, but the drums had the original CRESTAR badges ...so he lost x2
    TAMA CRESTARS was what they called the granstar custom line , for,, like, a year ...then they changed the name ...why ? i dunno..
    Last edited by 2 basses4life; 05-22-2020 at 10:01 PM.

4. Reference Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    i knew a guy who sold tama CRESTARS in heather metalic ..it was a 7 piece double bass kit (2x24, 10, 12, 13, and 16 floor )
    whats even worse is, he not only sold them for bottom dollar, but the drums had the original CRESTAR badges ...so he lost x2
    TAMA CRESTARS was what they call the granstar custom line , for like a year ...then the changed the name ...why ? i dunno..
    Now my kit said Tama Granstar Custom, but the matching snare said Crestar. I’m 99.99% the Crestar kits lasted about 20
    Minutes and then they changed the name to Granstar lCustom. However, all the snare drums from the Granstar Custom line did still have the Crestar name on them.

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

My first real kit was a Premier Resonator. I already have been collecting quite a few Paiste cymbals due to birthday and Xmas presents, but the drums were my life’s savings. When most kids in my grade were buying cars, I bought a drum kit. I even wrote a research paper on what kit was “the best” which made my parents believe I actually knew what I was doing spending all of that money.

It was a standard five piece of 12, 13, 16, and 22. Within a year a got an 18 and my kit started evolving, really devolving but it took a couple of years of going back and forth. Never the less, here it is in all its glory. Sad thing, as though who have been here awhile know by now, it burned in a fire and the snare drum is all that’s left. That was in ‘93 and I’ve been playing GMS ever since.

Name:  42547964-CEDE-48DE-B11A-7BD4EA19DD42.jpeg
Views: 150
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  BB0334E9-CF32-4B97-8C12-DFFC3D3800BA.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  79.3 KB

6. Registered User

I guess my first "real" drum set was a 9 piece Tama Rockstar DX. I saved up a long time for it and when I couldn't wait any longer, my mom pitched in the last $250 to get me over the finish line. I ordered it from Dale's Music in St. Louis and waited VERY impatiently. I don't have any pics unfortunately - though one kick, a rack & floor tom are still sitting in my parent's basement (I think?)

This is the catalog I drooled over back then. The finish I chose was Misty Chrome.

7. Drumming Since 1943

The story of my first kit is much less... concrete than all yours. I recall it mostly in the fog of years and a teenage life I barely want to recall. But here ‘tis:

1984. I was 13 and all I cared about was metal and drums. I was obsessed with Thrash and Tama. Every square inch of wall space in my bedroom was covered with posters (remember those?) of the thrash heroes of the day. Remember that poster of Metallica that was taken at, I believe 1985’s Day on the Green in Oakland, CA that was taken from above and behind Lars and he’s looking back at the camera? Well, that poster hung in the place of honor- behind my drums. But I digress:

I grew up in a garden apartment with my mom and stepfather. They would wind up commandeering my bedroom shortly after, forcing me to sleep in the living room on a mattress. So of COURSE I’d want to play the drums. Not something simple and compact like the guitar. Oh no, not this mullet-sporting teen. So that Christmas I asked for a kit. Now, in my feeble 14-year-old mind, I was asking for Randy Castillo’s black Tama kit from The Ultimate Sin tour and I assumed my mother knew this and knew all the specs and sizes. So imagine my excitement when on Christmas Eve, she told me to go down to the storage room (a dark, dank place that honestly scared me as a child) and see what was there. I raced down, opened the door and... found what I wound up referring to not-so-lovingly as my “Muppet Drums”. I cant accurately tell you what brand they were but they were really tiny and wrapped in a blue oyster covering. The set included a kick, rack tom (on a consolette rail) and a snare, a Paiste ride, hats of indeterminate origin and a bent, cracked “crash”. The pedal was a very old Tama. I decided that this, of course, was the coolest part of the kit because it had the Tama logo on it.

I never played the kit once because I knew the neighbors would complain and my cop stepfather would yell at me. I wound up throwing them in the garbage and as a subconscious **** you to my teenage years, jumped up and down on the kick until it broke.

I sometimes think that they might have been old Luddy’s and cringe.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Reference Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    The story of my first kit is much less... concrete than all yours. I recall it mostly in the fog of years and a teenage life I barely want to recall. But here ‘tis:

1984. I was 13 and all I cared about was metal and drums. I was obsessed with Thrash and Tama. Every square inch of wall space in my bedroom was covered with posters (remember those?) of the thrash heroes of the day. Remember that poster of Metallica that was taken at, I believe 1985’s Day on the Green in Oakland, CA that was taken from above and behind Lars and he’s looking back at the camera? Well, that poster hung in the place of honor- behind my drums. But I digress:

I grew up in a garden apartment with my mom and stepfather. They would wind up commandeering my bedroom shortly after, forcing me to sleep in the living room on a mattress. So of COURSE I’d want to play the drums. Not something simple and compact like the guitar. Oh no, not this mullet-sporting teen. So that Christmas I asked for a kit. Now, in my feeble 14-year-old mind, I was asking for Randy Castillo’s black Tama kit from The Ultimate Sin tour and I assumed my mother knew this and knew all the specs and sizes. So imagine my excitement when on Christmas Eve, she told me to go down to the storage room (a dark, dank place that honestly scared me as a child) and see what was there. I raced down, opened the door and... found what I wound up referring to not-so-lovingly as my “Muppet Drums”. I cant accurately tell you what brand they were but they were really tiny and wrapped in a blue oyster covering. The set included a kick, rack tom (on a consolette rail) and a snare, a Paiste ride, hats of indeterminate origin and a bent, cracked “crash”. The pedal was a very old Tama. I decided that this, of course, was the coolest part of the kit because it had the Tama logo on it.

I never played the kit once because I knew the neighbors would complain and my cop stepfather would yell at me. I wound up throwing them in the garbage and as a subconscious **** you to my teenage years, jumped up and down on the kick until it broke.

I sometimes think that they might have been old Luddy’s and cringe.
    Ok, now tell us about your first “real” kit like the thread says. I hope this hasn’t ruined your day thus far. Smile and tell us about the first kit you were ECSTATIC about.

Poor bass drum!

9. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Not sure if it qualifies as "real" but it was/is my first.

Reuther (MIJ stencil kit essentially) 5 piece w an additional 16" Floor tom that I used as a sort of poor man's gong drum; really dark Evans hydraulic head tuned at or just below wrinkled - gave a great dull thud when called upon.

Haven't set it up in ages, and really need to donate it to a struggling young drummer, music program, or restorer of old crappy drums, but I just cannot bring myself to part with it. Bought it in the mid 80's when I was 15 years old or so and despite how cheap it is, it survived many a gig and never let me down. Sound guys loved the melodic/concert toms as they were so easy to mic. The snare was an absolute P.O.S. but it worked. Also, the kit is so beat to heck, that I'd hate to give it to a young drummer who might get frustrated trying to figure out how to tune it and such. I suspect that at least one of the hoops is out of round.

As far as specs:
    12x8" tom
    13x9" tom
    16x 14" floors
    22x16" bass
    (All made from the highest grade of poplar, luan, pressboard, whatever)
    14x 5" snare (COS)

I would only consider this a "real" kit because prior to owning it, my drumming was limited to banging on furniture, plastic containers and cardboard boxes. Originally came with a few "Frankenstands", a single CAMCO pedal (which I later upgraded to a dual CAMCO pedal) and a couple of cymbals. I still have the Paiste 2002s that were included and they sound great.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.21.58 AM.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  34.1 KB

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    Ok, now tell us about your first “real” kit like the thread says. I hope this hasn’t ruined your day thus far. Smile and tell us about the first kit you were ECSTATIC about.

Poor bass drum!
    Sorry bout that. The memory took me back to a bad time. I’ll contribute something more accurate soon.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Comrade Tim

My first real kit was a Pearl Export in Jet Black, 12/13" toms, 16" floor, 22" kick, 6.5x14 steel snare.

I added a 10" generic tom off some auction site later on....this kit is still used by my brother in law to this day.

This pic was from 2002 or so right before I purchased my first Session kit....(which I still have, 2003 SRX in Marine Blue Fade)

Name:  exports.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  32059630807_54cbba571a_c.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  155.3 KB

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Sorry bout that. The memory took me back to a bad time. I’ll contribute something more accurate soon.
    You loved your step-father as much as I loved mine.