Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Please help me identify this drumkit

Hi everyone,

I have got this drumkit, possibly from the 70s judging by badge?
    Really, really thankful for a bit of help on identifying the model, year and material.

The set includes 18" bass drum, 14" snare and toms 12", 13", 14" (last one floor standing).
    Only the snare has a badge on it, including Maple Shell badge. The others do not have a badge, but I am pretty sure the full set is Pearl. I have a hypothesis that the snare is “original”, but the others have been refurbished and repainted.

The snare is possibly 5 ply, approximately 7-8 mm thick. Thickness of the other drums are about the same.
    Pictures attached of inside of snare and bass drum.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Renae; 05-15-2020 at 04:53 AM.

2. Enjoy Every Sandwich

You tom arms appear to be upside down.

3. Registered User

Ups, bummer.

The kit belonged to my dad. He passed away suddenly on New Year’s eve and I am left with three drum kits to identify and sell, if possible (this is not the newest one).

I don't know a thing about drums - so this beginners mistake is totally explainable.
    It just means I need even more help from you guys.

4. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Sorry to hear about your father.

Oh, and now that I give it a second look, the floor tom appears to be upside down. Leg brackets are generally positioned towards the bottom of the drum, not the top.

I am not capable of giving you a value on the kit, especially with you being located in Norway. "Selling" is prohibited on this site, so proceed with caution.

Best of luck and welcome to the Forum.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    I am not capable of giving you a value on the kit, especially with you being located in Norway. "Selling" is prohibited on this site, so proceed with caution.
    I have no intention of selling here - or even know if it is worth selling.
    But I would like to know how to present it, even if someone picks it up for free. I would prefer not to throw it away if someone can make use of it.

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Ups, bummer.

The kit belonged to my dad. He passed away suddenly on New Yearís eve and I am left with three drum kits to identify and sell, if possible (this is not the newest one).

I don't know a thing about drums - so this beginners mistake is totally explainable.
    It just means I need even more help from you guys.
    Iím sorry about your dad. I would suggest when you do decide to sell them, simply stack them and take individual pictures as well.

I canít tell you a value, but I can tell you Iíd only pay $200-$250 for that kit if I wanted it.

7. Registered User

Second-hand drums don`t fetch high prices unless they are rare drums but good quality cymbals and hi-hats hold their value, your kit looks like what is called a recording kit. So sorry to hear about your Dad, good luck with the drum kits I hope you get a fair price for them.

8. Registered User

Thanks for your compassion everyone <3
    And thanks for good advice on set up, value and presentation. Any additional advice is still welcome.

I also have cymbals coming out of my ears.
    Do vintage cymbals from the 70s sell at all? Got a few BLACK LABEL Paiste 2002 (Crash and Bright ride) , as well as what I think are newer cymbals - Sabian XS20 (Medium Hats, Medium Thin Crash, Medium Ride).

Name:  20200513_204705.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  56.7 KB

9. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Thanks for your compassion everyone <3
    And thanks for good advice on set up, value and presentation. Any additional advice is still welcome.

I also have cymbals coming out of my ears.
    Do vintage cymbals from the 70s sell at all? Got a few BLACK LABEL Paiste 2002 (Crash and Bright ride) , as well as what I think are newer cymbals - Sabian XS20 (Medium Hats, Medium Thin Crash, Medium Ride).

Name:  20200513_204705.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  56.7 KB
    There's definitely more value in the cymbals, all the XS20's would probably fetch £2-250 for the set. The Paiste stuff would likely be upwards of £150 per cymbal depending what they are and the condition looking so good. K splash would probably fetch £75-80 and the K/Z Hi hats about £175. (These are going on the UK used rates but i'm unsure for the norwegian market)
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier, Arbiter Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, PREMIER, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

5 Kits and 11 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

10. Pearl does it for me

Hello and Welcome to the PDF, and the vintage section

The kit you've put up:
    I agree, it is a kit, even though all the badges aren't there.
    Good work, yes, it's 70's.
    Later 70's in fact, 1978ish. It didn't have a "kit" name, but it is an M series kit. Based on the sizes of the drums, whoever bought it in the first place would have special ordered it.

What's it worth? Well, I'm in Australia, so no idea whatsoever.
    But I do have a good friend in the Netherlands who is right up to the moment in regards second hand pricing (drums and cymbals) in Europe, and he as agreed, and I would happily, put you in touch with him if you want .

No amount of money is going to replace your father, but since you know nothing about part of what he loved, I don't want to see you ripped off, or giving stuff away ( because you think it has no value ), unless that's the kind of thing he might have done...

11. Registered User

My condolences, Renae.

Try checking reverb.com to get a brief idea of what market prices are like for the cymbals and other items in your possession. Perhaps that might be your most pragmatic option.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes.