Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
  1. Away From The World

Hope you are all well or at least doing the best that can be expected, in your various circumstances.

Thoughts of Lonny are with me too, as I mark my 50th birthday on a vacation exploring parts of my own country I have not been to. It shouldn't have taken me this long, but glad to finally do it. Selfishly I'm glad there are hardly any overseas visitors here, but the tourist towns need them. We have just opened our border to Australia which will help.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

2. Playing since 1976

It's nice to see everyone here, remembering Lonny, and reminiscing. I hope you're all doing well. Happy Birthday Mike; I am also officially on the other side of the hill with you
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

3. Skeld-the -wicked

If you guys are over the hill I’m in the valley! I have never felt better at 66 close to 67 I just take one day at a time. Just read an article about Jerry Caskill the Drummer of Kings X Has had two heart attacks and how it’s changed his life. One my bands is doing She’s gone away & Black Flag by them. I miss Lonny as all of you do but his passion for playing drums is in all of us . His spirt will live on through our memories of him and who knows we will be reunited some day in Valhalla or a garage in Buffalo NY! A little George Carlin humor.
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc 14x5.5 Masterworks African Mahogany Snare

Ian Paice Signature Snare,
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

4. 1, 2, 3, Hit It!

Happy 50th Birthday Mike!

I'm so glad to hear that you are celebrating your birthday while on an awesome vacation in your country!

Lord knows, there are so many places right here in the U.S.A. that I would like to visit sometime in my lifetime, let alone all the amazing places and wonderful sights to see in the rest of the world.

I received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday morning. So, I should be considered fully vaccinated in two weeks. Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! Perhaps, we'll order some delicious Mexican take-out from one of our favorite restaurants that night to celebrate.

Like Matt said, it truly warms my heart to see everyone here checking in and reminiscing.
    Kevin

Pearl Masters Custom Extra MRX - 5 Piece Maple Kit
    Midnight Fade, Chrome Hardware
    Matching Snare: 14x6.5 Toms: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 (FT) Bass: 22x18
    Cymbals: Paiste Signatures & 2oo2s

Proud member of the Masters Army <<<Click to join today!

5. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Diamond View Post

I'm so glad to hear that you are celebrating your birthday while on an awesome vacation in your country!

Lord knows, there are so many places right here in the U.S.A. that I would like to visit sometime in my lifetime, let alone all the amazing places and wonderful sights to see in the rest of the world.

I received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday morning. So, I should be considered fully vaccinated in two weeks. Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! Perhaps, we'll order some delicious Mexican take-out from one of our favorite restaurants that night to celebrate.

Like Matt said, it truly warms my heart to see everyone here checking in and reminiscing.
    One of my family's goals is to visit all 50 states. We were down to only 3 remaining (ND, SD, & WY) when the pandemic hit and put a halt to traveling. I have been to North & South Dakota before, so Wyoming is the only state I haven't been to. The thing I have learned through all my travels across the US is that there are nice things to do and see everywhere. Definitely get out & visit states you haven't already been to or even think you won't like. Keep an open mind and you'll be surprised how much you will enjoy the trip.

I got my 2nd shot (Moderna) on 4/16. I'm almost as vaccinated as I will ever be. My son is the last of use to get his 2nd shot & he gets it this Wednesday (4/28). We've paid for a trip to Hawaii in August and hopefully we will get those last 3 states checked off well before then.

6. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    It's nice to see everyone here, remembering Lonny, and reminiscing. I hope you're all doing well. Happy Birthday Mike; I am also officially on the other side of the hill with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk Diamond View Post

Thank you gents, and the time away was very enjoyable. One highlight to share that Lonny would like was a boat trip in a fiord carved many miles through the mountains by glaciers, running out to the ocean. Stunning scenery, in fact the makers of Jurassic Park came here to do filming. They needed 2 days of fine weather, but after camping there for 3 1/2 weeks they had a half a day without rain so they left and went to Hawaii LOL.

Name:  F1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  F2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  32.7 KB

Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

7. Usurper Title

Interesting! I've always assumed NZ was similar to most of the Pacific islands, getting its coastal mountains/'fjords' from volcanic action. I guess I've never really stopped to consider glacial action in the southern hemisphere. Which is surprising since most of the glaciers I've seen in real life were in the southern hemisphere.

8. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Interesting! I've always assumed NZ was similar to most of the Pacific islands, getting its coastal mountains/'fjords' from volcanic action. I guess I've never really stopped to consider glacial action in the southern hemisphere. Which is surprising since most of the glaciers I've seen in real life were in the southern hemisphere.
    As one born and raised here I knew very little about them. And your spelling of fjord is correct, from the Norwegian origin. There are many of them in this particular region, but back in the day they were incorrectly called 'sounds' which are formed by rivers not glaciers. The authorities at the time didn't want to rename everything, so they called the entire region Fiordland which contains many fjords though they are called sounds. Scuba diving is an experience, there is 6-9'of murky fresh water at the surface before breaking through into clear sea water below. Just need a thick wetsuit!

9. Usurper Title

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    As one born and raised here I knew very little about them. And your spelling of fjord is correct, from the Norwegian origin. There are many of them in this particular region, but back in the day they were incorrectly called 'sounds' which are formed by rivers not glaciers. The authorities at the time didn't want to rename everything, so they called the entire region Fiordland which contains many fjords though they are called sounds.
    I didn't even noticed the other spelling, to be honest. I apostrophe'd it because, while technically incorrect, 'fjord' makes for a good shorthand to reference all of the similar mountainous/cliff-y coastal inlet features, regardless of formation. Canada has numerous fjords and 'fjords' on its coasts. The latter aren't really fjords any more because 'deltas' (I'm sure they have a different name in this particular instance) have formed between them and the oceans. Supposedly fjords need to have direct connections to the ocean, rather than via creeks, to be proper fjords. On the East Coast, the fjords/'fjords' are just called bays, coves, brooks, and ponds (where they've been cut off by a delta). On the West Coast, where the Rockies meet the Pacific, they tend to call them inlets, sounds, and lakes (where they've been cut off by a delta).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Scuba diving is an experience, there is 6-9'of murky fresh water at the surface before breaking through into clear sea water below. Just need a thick wetsuit!
    The does sound like an experience! Must look like a dark, stormy sky when you get down into the sea water!

The attached images are from a 6-day hike on our East Coast I did about 5 years ago. Grand views of the 'fjords' all throughout the slog.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Feenix; 04-29-2021 at 05:32 AM. Reason: a word

10. Registered User

I didn't even noticed the other spelling, to be honest. I apostrophe'd it because, while technically incorrect, 'fjord' makes for a good shorthand to reference all of the similar mountainous/cliff-y coastal inlet features, regardless of formation. Canada has numerous fjords and 'fjords' on its coasts. The latter aren't really fjords any more because 'deltas' (I'm sure they have a different name in this particular instance) have formed between them and the oceans. Supposedly fjords need to have direct connections to the ocean, rather than via creeks, to be proper fjords. On the East Coast, the fjords/'fjords' are just called bays, coves, brooks, and ponds (where they've been cut off by a delta). On the West Coast, where the Rockies meet the Pacific, they tend to call them inlets, sounds, and lakes (where they've been cut off by a delta).

The does sound like an experience! Must look like a dark, stormy sky one you get down into the sea water!

The attached images are from a 6-day hike on our East Coast I did about 5 years ago. Grand views of the 'fjords' all throughout the slog.
    Stunningly beautiful Feenix! Thanks for sharing! That's some awesome scenery!

11. Away From The World

The does sound like an experience! Must look like a dark, stormy sky when you get down into the sea water!

Those views would certainly help get through the slog, all part of why it's worth doing!

12. A Passion Play ...

Hello everyone. I am checking in to say hey. I
    am wishing all of you the very best. I am done
    with the vaccine now and feel the best I have
    in over 3 months. I have some lingering weirdness
    but it’s all good. Thoughts of Lonny. Take care, E
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...