Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Not only did they move away from the nice sparkle finishes, but they moved into engineered "exotic" veneers that look manufactured.
    This! Going through school there was a fellow drummer who had a Mapex kit in Mango Burst. Loved that finish! Can't really comment on sparkle finishes as I don't really recall everything they offered at the time, but even just the simple lacquers... what happened to that?

2. Registered User

I frankly don't understand why the name of the company should be an issue? Mapex just sounds any company name to me, not worse or better than Pearl, Tama, DW, ...
    The products I used were always well manufactured and sounded fantastic. I own a Saturn kit as well and the exotic finishes of the maple/walnut shells are just beautiful. I don't know what exactly should be the difference between other brands.

3. Safe for Pets

My LE Saturn III Birch/walnut is still one of the best sounding kits I've heard, similar to the tama birch/bubinga with lower fundamental notes and overall fat and punchy sound. The newest mapex offerings don't really do much for me and the over engineered tom mount. I'm sure they sound great but I think they need to do more to get big name endorsers and up and comers. The Mapex Wraith has been discontinued tho so if you can find one at a closeout price you'll get a fantastic brass snare.
    Mapex Saturn Limited Edition Birch/Walnut
    Meinl Cymbals
    Pearl/Axis Hardware

[url]https://www.instagram.com/jheckmusic/[url]

[url]https://antedeluvianprojekt.bandcamp.com/album/antediluvian-projekt[url]

4. old dog, new tricks

My buddy has a Saturn III kit and it sounds great; as good as any other high end kit.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

5. Registered User

My Saturn III certainly has a sound of its own. It doesn't work for every genre of music, but it has a lot of cut and brings big thunderous sounds with the floor toms. Certainly a rock/metal powerhouse of a kit. Drastically different to any other kit I have ever owned. I know sometimes drums can just sound like drums, but the Saturns really have a distinct voice. Honestly, I don't think I could ever sell them unless my life depended on it.

6. PEARL EXX

Name:  28E2F176-8E47-4278-9736-D171C970C6A5.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  66.5 KB

7. Joinery apprentice

I recall back when i was looking for my first new drum kit, i really wanted a mapex, but the nearest dealer was a 2 hour drive away, so instead i picked up a force 3007 like 20 minute away. I so badly wanted a saturn in rooter sparkle or that blue sparkle fade they use to have.

8. th droids yerlookn4

if they have enough sizes ..i'm reeeaally interested in the those saturn evo's whenever they get to sellin them ..

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    if they have enough sizes ..i'm reeeaally interested in the those saturn evo's whenever they get to sellin them ..
    Going to take me a while to get used to those tom mounts.

10. Drummer since 1963

I have never liked the name "Mapex". It just has a cheap sound to my ear. Like they could have called them, Acme Drums, and the name would have the same recognition. At least we heard of the word "Acme". What the heck is a Mapex? And the "new" logo. Just awful. Could they have come up with anything worse? Who approved that?
    That said, at the beginning of the COVID19 reality I got a Session Studio Select kit I knew I didn't want to use for jams or some other gigs so I picked up this Meridian Birch kit used for $300 beans, might have been $325, I forgot. The kit looks and sounds great! I'm sitting on two new kits I'm itching to play out on only I have to wait until it's safe again to do it. I'm over 66, I'm not taking any chances.
    Meantime, I woodshed.

11. Skeld-the -wicked

Although I have never owned any Mapex Drums I have played a original Saturn kit & Pro Maple Kit and both were great sounding drums. Good to know your ok Ron. My last live gig was in mid February. Most our summer gigs are canceled. Next gig might be June 26 at a street festival in Waukesha Wisconsin. Fingers crossed .
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    Pearl Masters Premium MRP 14x5.5 snare
    Ian Paice Signature Snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    I have never liked the name "Mapex". It just has a cheap sound to my ear. Like they could have called them, Acme Drums, and the name would have the same recognition. At least we heard of the word "Acme". What the heck is a Mapex? And the "new" logo. Just awful. Could they have come up with anything worse? Who approved that?
    That said, at the beginning of the COVID19 reality I got a Session Studio Select kit I knew I didn't want to use for jams or some other gigs so I picked up this Meridian Birch kit used for $300 beans, might have been $325, I forgot. The kit looks and sounds great! I'm sitting on two new kits I'm itching to play out on only I have to wait until it's safe again to do it. I'm over 66, I'm not taking any chances.
    Meantime, I woodshed.

Ya, it’s almost as bad as Pearl.