Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Paiste on Toto - The Seventh One

Hi,

Since I was about 6 or 7 years old, I have admired Jeff Porcaro (and therefore Toto, too). Since I am now 18 years old and I am looking for another upgrade of my drum kit, I am willing to invest in new cymbals. I have contacted Paiste and read multiple blogs on what cymbals he used on the album. However, I am still doubting which one were actually used.

When listening closely to "Stop Loving You" at 1:18, you hear 3 crashes following. The first one might be the current Paiste Signature Full Crash 18" in my opinion, but the other 2 following are really difficult to find for me.
    I have already figured out that the hi-hats used were Paiste 602 14" Heavy, so that is already ordered

What are your thoughts on his cymbal setup here?

Cheers, Lars

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I find recordings to be misleading. I’m a Paiste guy through & through since the 80’s. I’ve played and have almost every line. I personally suggest playing various lines & cymbals within that line and find what you like.

Sorry that I am no help with your direct question.

3. Registered User

That could be everything, even not Paiste... I‘d guess 2002s because they have this „kang“ in the attack which the Signatures do not have. They do not sound like my Full Crashes recorded.

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by larsvz10 View Post
    Hi,

Since I was about 6 or 7 years old, I have admired Jeff Porcaro (and therefore Toto, too). Since I am now 18 years old and I am looking for another upgrade of my drum kit, I am willing to invest in new cymbals. I have contacted Paiste and read multiple blogs on what cymbals he used on the album. However, I am still doubting which one were actually used.

When listening closely to "Stop Loving You" at 1:18, you hear 3 crashes following. The first one might be the current Paiste Signature Full Crash 18" in my opinion, but the other 2 following are really difficult to find for me.
    I have already figured out that the hi-hats used were Paiste 602 14" Heavy, so that is already ordered

What are your thoughts on his cymbal setup here?

Cheers, Lars
    If you truly admire JP, why don't you choose cymbals the way he likely chose them... play, listen, accept or reject. I doubt JP picked cymbals based off recordings of drummers he liked; like other members mentioned, recordings can be too deceiving.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Recordings are very deceiving. I think 2002s sound like absolute trash in person. Put them in a recording and they cut and sparkle beautifully. Meinl sound like trash can lids in person but have a smooth and soothing warmth and dark undertone to them in recordings. So I agree with others that mixed recordings are deceiving. Unless it is an unprocessed recording, like those videos from Memphis Drum Shop you aren't going to hear the full range of sound the cymbal is putting out. There is all kinds of cut and boosted frequencies in mastered recordings to make the instruments sound the way they want them to sound, not the way they actually sound.

6. YOU POST, I PLAY.

My guess is 18" Sig Full Crash and 19" Sig Full Crash.

I say this because I was surprised how similar the 19" sounds to mine through the microphones. The 19" Sig Full has a shimmer and sparkle that is MORE pronounced than the 18" - the difference is big.
    My YouTube channel - old school Metal and Progressive covers.

Drum Gear:
    Paiste, Tama, Gibraltar, Danmar, Rhythm Tech, Aquarian, LP, Vater, Wuhan.

Recording/Mixing Gear:
    Mackie 1640i, Senheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Shure, Apple, Logic, Ultimate Ears.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I think 2002s sound like absolute trash in person. Put them in a recording and they cut and sparkle beautifully. .
    I couldn't agree more... 2002 16" Crash sounds just not right at all in real life, but when recording you only hear great stories about it.

Thanks for all the replies so far, really appreciate it!

Netherlands
    Adams 8000
    10" 12" 16" 22" 14"x5.5"
    Evans EC2S Clear
    Paiste 602 Classic 14" Heavy Hi-hat
    Istanbul Mehmet Samatya
    8" 12" splash, 16" 18" crash, 20" ride, 16" china
    Promark TXPR5BW

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by larsvz10 View Post
    I couldn't agree more... 2002 16" Crash sounds just not right at all in real life, but when recording you only hear great stories about it.

Thanks for all the replies so far, really appreciate it!
    Lars, another factor to consider is this: Porcaro may not even have used Paiste cymbals on that album. I'm a complete Porcaro freak, and through the magic of the Interwebs (plus old issues of Modern Drummer), it's clear that he often used Gretsch kits in the studio as well as mismatched toms and bass drums. Stewart Copeland (another of my heroes, and also a Paiste endorser) used a Pearl snare and Zildjian splashes in the studio.

As another Forum member said, just find cymbals you like. For me, The Seventh One is an incredible album in terms of musicianship and songwriting... and it's my favorite recording of Porcaro's (both in terms of drum sound and performance).