Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default MRV best head question

So I just got my new MCC kit in the MRV series. I'm currently running coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors on the toms and would like some input on what the rest of you guys and gals think about head options. I like the sound they're producing, but I'm probably going to go back to my usual coated G2s once I wear these heads out, just to get a fatter sound. Sizes are 8x7, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, and 16x14. Kick is 22x16 with an EMAD head.

2. Registered User

Here are a few pics of the kit. Blue Abalone finish. Absolutely loving it, and as per usual, the pics just don't do it justice.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by J Brasket View Post
    Here are a few pics of the kit. Blue Abalone finish. Absolutely loving it, and as per usual, the pics just don't do it justice.
    Nice set-up! From the first pic, you can't tell how many drums/cymbals you have there. You can't go wrong with 2-ply over 1-ply. I've always been Remo or Evans depending on the drum... but I'm currently running Aquarian 2-ply over 1-ply, all clear, and I really like the sound, and how they stay in tune. I stretched them well before the first tuning.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Registered User

Stellar looking kit. Aquarian heads are awesome. If you have to have 2 ply try the Response 2 Clear. They also make a single ply with a coated white dot that I bet would make those toms sing. Again, great looking kit. Love the blue.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16 22X18
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

5. Registered User

First, your new kit is outstanding. I play a four-piece, so it's a touch large for my purposes, but you seem to have configured a very nice setup.

I'm a long-time Coated Ambassador user. Recently, and this was a big jump for me, I applied Ebony Pinstripes to my entire set, even my snare. I'm shocked that I like them. You've explained your desire for a fatter sound. Ebony Pinstripes are dark and fat, though their built-in overtone control might not meet your preferences. Whatever you decide, good luck!

6. Registered User

Hadn't even looked at the ebony pinstripes. I'll do some looking into it, thanks for the suggestion. I've had some EC2s and heard some clear pinstripes on other kits, and they sounded good, so may be worth a shot.

7. 1, 2, 3, Hit It!

Congratulations on your new Music City Custom MRV kit!

It looks absolutely beautiful in Blue Abalone finish.
    Kevin

Pearl Masters Custom Extra MRX - 5 Piece Maple Kit
    Midnight Fade, Chrome Hardware
    Matching Snare: 14x6.5 Toms: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 (FT) Bass: 22x18
    Cymbals: Paiste Signatures & 2oo2s

Proud member of the Masters Army <<<Click to join today!

8. Registered User

Beautiful kit! I usually use clear emperors over clear ambassadors on my MMX kit and they sound great. Next time I set them up I'll probably go with a single ply coated batter head.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    Beautiful kit! I usually use clear emperors over clear ambassadors on my MMX kit and they sound great. Next time I set them up I'll probably go with a single ply coated batter head.
    Like all others, beautiful kit and set up you have J Brasket! For my VMX I use Remo Clear Ambassadors (both sides) on my 8, 10, 12, & 14 inch toms and Remo PS3' s on 14, 16, & 18 inch floor toms (batter side) and Clear Ambassadors on resonant side! PS3 on 22 inch bass drum as well as 20 inch gong drum. Very satisfied with this head configuration with my kit!

10. Registered User

PS3s on the floor toms, huh? How much does that dampen the sustain? Seems like it would give them a more kick drum like sound.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J Brasket View Post
    PS3s on the floor toms, huh? How much does that dampen the sustain? Seems like it would give them a more kick drum like sound.
    The PS3 heads like the clear ambassadors are made with a 10 mil single ply head however, the inner ring is 3 ply for toms and 10 ply for bass drum sizes. Also, the P3's do dampen the sound slightly as compared to the clear ambassadors which gives me a lower end thud on the floors which I like. Note, I use no dampening on any of my drums whatsoever other then a towel in the bass. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

12. Registered User

Will do. Thanks for the compliments on the kit! I moved over to the MRV series after playing similar sizes on a Reference original for about 3 years. Loving the sound of them so far and how easily they tune up. Just something to be said about that pure maple sound.