Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default *COMPLETED* My 8-piece Pearl Reference Pure (Scarlet Sparkle Burst)

Hi all,

Been a member on here a while, but either forgot my old account info, or something...so here is my "first" post

I just "completed" my dream drum kit this week with an 18x16 floor tom.

If people want my story or history of drums, I can respond in comments, but I assume most are here just for the pics/current details.

This build has been in the making since 2012 and is my third drum set. My previous kit (still owned) is a 6-piece Pearl Masters.

The black sheep is a 100th Anniversary Ludwig Black Beauty Hand Hammered snare with tube lugs, but I do also have a matching 14x6.5 Reference Pure snare (sounds SO amazing, but honestly just can't put aside the Black Beauty).

A few notes for you anal folks out there:

-I like that Pearl now has decals on the drum interior; saying how many wood plies, what type of wood, etc., however, the decal is not on older drums, so it will not be uniform if you like looking inside. I thought about removing the decal, but these drums are all so unique on their own to begin with (that's why you get Reference, yes?) that I am letting it be its own.

-Wood takes time to age and color. My 18" floor tom mahogany is lighter in color tone than my 16" tom (which has more of a deeper red hue). It will equalize with age.

-I've always played with drums looking entirely uniform, thus using the same head on every drum. However, with these I have recently given away with my OCD and considered that each drum is built to its own "exact" specifications; I figure it's okay to have different heads. I'm using coated Remo Vintage Emperors on my 8-10-14, and Clear Vintage Emperors on my 12-16-18. This is my favorite personal preference so far. Powerstroke 3 on the bass.

-Again, I do have the snare if you all want to see the "8-piece"

Ok enough talk, here are pics. Let me know if you want to see more, from a different angle or lighting, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Purple Crazed

Nice kit! Congratulations on finally completing your long-awaited dream kit! It is always a good feeling. I also like the coated/clear head combination. It works and looks good.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

3. Registered User

That kit is stupendous. Everything about it is top notch and beautiful.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by korch View Post
    I second that! Very nice!

5. Registered User

Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

6. A Passion Play ...

Welcome and welcome back. Beautiful drums, cymbals and that black beauty is stupendous. Perfect.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

7. Drumming Since 1943

Gorgeous kit. Everything looks well-laid out and top-notch.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    Nice kit! Congratulations on finally completing your long-awaited dream kit! It is always a good feeling. I also like the coated/clear head combination. It works and looks good.
    Thank you! I was afraid I would be flamed for using different head combos. The younger me would never use anything that wasn't uniform, but I really do enjoy this combination.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Gorgeous kit. Everything looks well-laid out and top-notch.
    Thanks! Of course nothing at this level of Pearl ISN'T top notch

It's funny that even as well as these are drums are with the layout, I don't feel like they are 100%. I always try to layout my drums as if I were blind and could only ever play by feeling. These are like 95% for me and I can't figure out the last 5%. I wonder if that last 5% is me needing a drum rack.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Welcome and welcome back. Beautiful drums, cymbals and that black beauty is stupendous. Perfect.
    Thank you, Eric! The Black Beauty is honestly the best drum I've ever hit. And that's saying a lot. Only complaint with it is that the lugs come loose a bit more than I'd like. I've ended a couple gigs before with the bottom lugs completely fallen out of the drum, but luckily there is a washer that catches them from dropping below the rim.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by korch View Post
    Thank you! Also I am jealous of your Stage Custom -- when I was in the marching band, a guy had a Stage Custom which sounded amazing. Also, the local drum store owner I have bought my drums from has a few Yamaha kits which are incredible.

12. Registered User

Ok, adding a shot from me live on stage with the abbreviated kit. I hated taking this out of the house, but it looks so amazing on stage.

Name:  19225799_10108532225578363_8985755507969774472_n.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  36.2 KB