Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default 8 lug free floating snare

    I have several Pearl free floaters, in different versions. A drummer on Facebook posted that he previously owned an 8 lug free floating snare. Does anyone know if such a drum was produced?

  2. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,700

    Default

    More than likely made by Gretsch.

    I'm fairly certain Pearl has only made free floating snares in 14" diameter with a ten lug pattern. I believe they are on their fourth generation now. The first having "hex" shaped lugs and the filling three have round, tube style lugs with different strainers.

    Gretsch however, has made (and maybe still makes) different sizes. I've seen 14",13", and 10" for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majicdrum View Post
    I have several Pearl free floaters, in different versions. A drummer on Facebook posted that he previously owned an 8 lug free floating snare. Does anyone know if such a drum was produced?
    I don't think Pearl has ever made a 14" FF snare that only has 8-lugs.

    He might have been referring to a 13" marching snare drum.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 03-31-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,141

    Default

    Agreed.... the 14" free floaters by Pearl have always been 10 lugs. i have owned both the original version with the hex lugs, and the newer generation models.

  5. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I don't think Pearl has ever made a standard snare that only has 8-lugs. He might have been referring to a 13" marching snare drum.
    What do you mean by "standard"?

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    What do you mean by "standard"?
    I was referring to 14" FF size. It wasn't clear. My bad.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    More than likely made by Gretsch.

    I'm fairly certain Pearl has only made free floating snares in 14" diameter with a ten lug pattern. I believe they are on their fourth generation now. The first having "hex" shaped lugs and the filling three have round, tube style lugs with different strainers.

    Gretsch however, has made (and maybe still makes) different sizes. I've seen 14",13", and 10" for sure.
    Thanks J-Con. I knew this forum was the best place to post the question. I have both hex and round tube lug drums. I have all three depths. I didn’t know Gretsch made free floaters. How do they compare to Pearl?
    Last edited by majicdrum; 04-09-2020 at 12:21 PM.

  8. FKA Tasty808

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majicdrum View Post
    Thanks J-Con. I knew this forum was the best place to post the question. I have both hex and round tube lug drums. I have all three depths. I didn’t know Gretsch made free floaters. How do they compare to Pearl?
    No prob. Glad we could help out.

    As far as free floaters go, I have zero experience with them. I've only heard one in person. It was a maple shell in the shallower of the depths they offer. It sounded pretty good in the small venue I was in. Sharp crack, not a ton of overtones, very dry in fact.

    It's funny you say "all three depths" because I thought there were four. Until a few days ago when a fellow drummer posted this on Facebook's Pearl Drums 4 Life page...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  9. Purple Crazed

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majicdrum View Post
    I didn’t know Gretsch made free floaters. How do they compare to Pearl?
    Maybe Gretsch realized they should be going for 'that great' Pearl 'sound'!

    Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

  10. Rim Shot Drummer

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia/ Washington DC
    Posts
    118

    Default To Float or not to float

    I understand it is difficult to even explain why or what through text; however; what are you looking for in the sound of the free floater? I also thought free floating means no lugs into the shell itself? In the free floater, is it the free floating that gives you the resonance you like or the whole composite; otherwise, its not just the free floater hoops but the whole drum and heads, wires and throw down
    Join Me ! I am a Pearl Customer

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    No prob. Glad we could help out.

    As far as free floaters go, I have zero experience with them. I've only heard one in person. It was a maple shell in the shallower of the depths they offer. It sounded pretty good in the small venue I was in. Sharp crack, not a ton of overtones, very dry in fact.

    It's funny you say "all three depths" because I thought there were four. Until a few days ago when a fellow drummer posted this on Facebook's Pearl Drums 4 Life page...
    I meant to say that I have 4 sizes, 3.5, 5, 6.5, and 8. I forgot about the marching free floater. I donít have that one.

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickDC View Post
    I understand it is difficult to even explain why or what through text; however; what are you looking for in the sound of the free floater? I also thought free floating means no lugs into the shell itself? In the free floater, is it the free floating that gives you the resonance you like or the whole composite; otherwise, its not just the free floater hoops but the whole drum and heads, wires and throw down
    Yes, I like the resonance of the free floater. I have played 10 lug drums for a long time. I recently got back into 8 luggers. I like the way the head feels. My current set up calls for fat back beats. It seems easier to get that out of an 8 lugger without muffling. I like being able to explore different shells with the free floaters, so I became curious when I heard about the 8 lug version. I know nothing about the Gretsch model. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •