Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Highest Tension Springs On The Market?

Dear all,

I don't see any web posts/blogs/lists as regards the highest tension springs for drum pedals; so here it is: What are the highest tension springs on the market or that you have used in your experience?

My DD (Demon Drive) spring tension is good, but I want something with higher tension - resulting in a heavier feel.
    I want to add weights to my beater but that would render the pedal too light, then; especially with a heavier wooden beater - or so I feel.

Can anyone offer commentary on a direct comparison between the DD's SP-64NF springs with Tama's HP900-7H Heavy Spring and DW's DWSP024 Heavy Duty Spring Assembly?
    Are any of these the heaviest on the market?

Does anyone have experience with Yamaha springs? Their website's interface is terrible and has no manuals, so I don't know what the code for the spring is.

Hope this thread can serve as future reference for all drummers pondering the same question.
    LOOKING FOR PEARL VISION VX 14" & 16" FLOOR TOMS; AND 20" BASS DRUM IN JET BLACK (older edition)
    Inbox me if you want to sell yours or know someone who wants to sell theirs. Thanks.

2. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by Megyalila Ballad View Post
    Dear all,

I don't see any web posts/blogs/lists as regards the highest tension springs for drum pedals; so here it is: What are the highest tension springs on the market or that you have used in your experience?

My DD (Demon Drive) spring tension is good, but I want something with higher tension - resulting in a heavier feel.
    I want to add weights to my beater but that would render the pedal too light, then; especially with a heavier wooden beater - or so I feel.

Can anyone offer commentary on a direct comparison between the DD's SP-64NF springs with Tama's HP900-7H Heavy Spring and DW's DWSP024 Heavy Duty Spring Assembly?
    Are any of these the heaviest on the market?

Does anyone have experience with Yamaha springs? Their website's interface is terrible and has no manuals, so I don't know what the code for the spring is.

Hope this thread can serve as future reference for all drummers pondering the same question.
    I don't have any direct comparison with those pedal springs but I have recently installed the HD DW springs on two 5002 pedals and I can say for certainty that they are at least twice as strong. The stock springs bend in your fingers and the HD barely budge. I am able to use less overall tension to achieve the snappy rebound and I've got headroom now in case I want more. I simply ran out of room with the stock springs. For the price, they are a perfect upgrade.

This is on a chain AD4 and a strap model with similar results.
    Ludwig Classic Maple in Sky Blue Pearl 24/10/12/13/14/16 & Hammered Copperphonic 6.5X14
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Do springs wear down? If so, wouldn’t buying a new set of the same model do the trick?

All my time playing I’ve never messed with the tension of my pedals. Does one setting or another help with volume? I tend to having a light touch, maybe too light at times.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Do springs wear down? If so, wouldn’t buying a new set of the same model do the trick?

All my time playing I’ve never messed with the tension of my pedals. Does one setting or another help with volume? I tend to having a light touch, maybe too light at times.
    Over time they do eventually, but perhaps that depends on the tension it's set to. A higher tension setting takes life off a spring faster than a lower tension setting, in my opinion.

The springs are actually new, so they retain their original tension. I feel it's not enough though.

Perhaps that would depend on the genre you play. I find that with lower tensions I can get a louder and heavier hit, but slower response time than with a higher tension setting. Lower tension settings are easier to control than higher tension ones, so they would be suitable for all types of music ranging from the feather of jazz to hard-hitting rock.

The issue arises when speed comes into the question, in my experience. To attain precision at higher tempos, a higher tension is key. This technically would take away from volume because a higher tension doesn't have the delay factor that adds momentum to each hit which lower tensions do. However, this can be fixed by lifting the pedal board higher and pulling the beater further back with a higher tension setting. I also have my beater at its maximum extension which adds weight and volume to every hit, but the pedal doesn't feel heavy enough, still.

With regard to the light touch, I suppose that depends on whether you play heel-down or heel-up. Heel-down would be lighter than heel-up because you don't add the weight of your leg to the force applied on the pedal. Foot placement is important too. The closer you are to the hinges (pivot) the more force there is; the closer to the chain/strap/link the more control one has, consequently the lighter the touch.
    LOOKING FOR PEARL VISION VX 14" & 16" FLOOR TOMS; AND 20" BASS DRUM IN JET BLACK (older edition)
    Inbox me if you want to sell yours or know someone who wants to sell theirs. Thanks.