Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    624

    Default Pearl Special Reserve 14x5 Snare Drum

    I was curious enough to test order this one to give it a ride or two:



    This drum is a limited special model only available via german reseller Thomann and it comes with some promising features:

    10 STL-100 lugs per side
    FatTone Hoops
    5mm Maple Shell with 5mm re-rings (which makes it a Masters Reserve Shell, hence the name)
    Remo USA heads
    SR-017 Strainer
    Delmar Wrap in Black Diamond Pearl
    Pearl Ultrasound SN1420-D snarewires

    Given this features for me it appears to be a very pro drum with only very mild cost cutting features like the chrome instead of stainless steel tension rods (didn‘t we had them for generations?) and for some maybe the SR-017 strainer which I like very much.

    What got me caught is that this limited special model is priced in the lower range of the Sensitones (Steel models), just above the Utility Snares. A corresponding Masters Maple Reserve Snare would be almost double the price and it comes with the same features only tubelugs instead of single ones. The retail for this drum is 289 EUR which equals 322 USD. They also offer a 6.5 and 8“ model for the same price.

    Anyway, I couldn‘t resist and ordered it together with a 14“ Aquarian TC head to replace the stock Ambassador first hand. I have 30 days to test it.

    If you want to hear how it sounds there is a test video on Youtube:



    What do you think about it?

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Received my new snare drum today - here are some pics for you:


















    Looking forward to do the testdrive on this fine drum!

  3. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,285

    Default

    I looks like a nice drum for the money. Enjoy it!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  4. Pearl Corporation USA

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Pearl Corporation U.S.A. Nashville, TN
    Posts
    27,581

    Default

    Gorgeous! Congratulations! One of my favorite shells.


    KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

    PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Beautiful SD! Bet it sounds as great as it looks! Enjoy!

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Thanks all!

    Quote Originally Posted by TMdrums View Post
    Beautiful SD! Bet it sounds as great as it looks! Enjoy!
    Had no chance to play her woth full set. The few strokes I did during tuning were absolutely promising! Will provide audio samples of the drum later!

  7. A Passion Play ...

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA.
    Posts
    5,515

    Default

    Beautiful instrument at a fantastic price.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    342

    Default

    I think you will like it and with those fat tone hoops -it has a little more open sound than die cast
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

    Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    624

    Default

    I was able to play the drum yesterday during a rehearsal with one of my bands - this thing is really superb sounding. Pretty warm, but enough bite to work in a blues/rock setting with two guitarists on valves... I had it tuned in the good middle of the tuning range and had no dampening on it at all. Very nice tonality, even my mates noticed it.
    There's only one small thing which I detected right away after getting it out of the box and making the pics - I tried to install a Aquarian Texture coated head and because of the different collar vs. the Remo collar it was not possible to get the tuning rods engaged in the threads of the lugs - even not with pressing the head down. They are too short. After some investigation I found that they measure 47 mm below the head - for the Aquarian 52 mm would have been needed. As this length is not available from Pearl (correct me if wrong) I ordered a bunch of 52 mm tuning rods from the "german Drum Foundry" which arrived today. This should solve the problem for very little money.

    Other than that I'm totally pleased with this drum - great look, great built quality, great sound without long tuning and compared to my steel Free Floater it's really lightweight! I can only recommend these drum and its bigger brothers to anyone - it's a bargain!

  10. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein View Post
    I was able to play the drum yesterday during a rehearsal with one of my bands - this thing is really superb sounding. Pretty warm, but enough bite to work in a blues/rock setting with two guitarists on valves... I had it tuned in the good middle of the tuning range and had no dampening on it at all. Very nice tonality, even my mates noticed it.
    There's only one small thing which I detected right away after getting it out of the box and making the pics - I tried to install a Aquarian Texture coated head and because of the different collar vs. the Remo collar it was not possible to get the tuning rods engaged in the threads of the lugs - even not with pressing the head down. They are too short. After some investigation I found that they measure 47 mm below the head - for the Aquarian 52 mm would have been needed. As this length is not available from Pearl (correct me if wrong) I ordered a bunch of 52 mm tuning rods from the "german Drum Foundry" which arrived today. This should solve the problem for very little money.

    Other than that I'm totally pleased with this drum - great look, great built quality, great sound without long tuning and compared to my steel Free Floater it's really lightweight! I can only recommend these drum and its bigger brothers to anyone - it's a bargain!
    Those STL mini lugs were not originally designed to be used the way they are frequently used now. The receiver nut for each lug is toward the bottom of the lug housing. Pearl is trying to use the shorted tension bolts possible with these lugs. If you use longer tension bolts, they will stick out the bottom of the lug housings... and look pretty bad. I suspect once you've re-cranked the Aquarian head a few time (as most heads stretch with time and use), you will start to see the 52mm tension bolts start to peek through the bottoms of each lug housing... especially on the snare side at the 4 housings closest to the snare bed.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein View Post
    After some investigation I found that they measure 47 mm below the head - for the Aquarian 52 mm would have been needed. As this length is not available from Pearl (correct me if wrong) I ordered a bunch of 52 mm tuning rods from the "german Drum Foundry" which arrived today. This should solve the problem for very little money.
    You shouldn't have any problem getting 52mm lugs from Pearl. If so, send me a PM and I can get you some.

    You can also resolve the issue by using an extra plastic washer on each tension rod (which will add a few millimeters to accommodate the longer tension rods if they happen to reach the bottom of the STL-100 lug).
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    You shouldn't have any problem getting 52mm lugs from Pearl. If so, send me a PM and I can get you some.

    You can also resolve the issue by using an extra plastic washer on each tension rod (which will add a few millimeters to accommodate the longer tension rods if they happen to reach the bottom of the STL-100 lug).
    I already have the tension rods here, I don‘t care if they are from Pearl or whatever third party as long the quality is given (which is). The rods came with washers, so I can use them in addition if fine tuning is necessary, good tip!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •