Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. *new noise*

Lightbulb Mesh Heads - Bearing Edge Damage Prevention Idea?

Hey fellow drummers,

So I moved into a townhouse, where the home density is very high. I'm not sharing any walls with neighbors, but I need to switch to mesh heads and read people saying they can POSSIBLY damage bearing edges..

My idea is to cut some rings - starting from the collar, out of beat up drum heads, to sandwich between the mesh head and the bearing edges. Think it'll work?? I don't like the idea of using tape liners, since the residue could migrate into the wood pores.

C&C edges are very precisely cut and they don't offer re-edge services, so maintaining them is very important to me. Plus, I don't have a beater kit to sacrifice, so mesh heads on my main kit is my only option.

C&C Custom Drums | Pearl Snare Drum(s) | Zildjian Cymbals | Pearl Eliminators | DW Hardware

2. A Passion Play ...

Maybe try to find a used electronic kit. They can be
    found for a decent price if look around. Brands like
    Roland and Yamaha are pretty bulletproof. They
    do not play exactly like acoustic drums but are
    quite fun and you can keep your main kit intact.
    Just a thought. Best of luck to you.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. Registered User

If your drums are made of marshmallows, then you have every right to be concerned about your edges, but because they are made from wood, mesh heads won't damage them. I have converted many kits made from many woods to electric and the mesh heads do nothing to damage the edges.

4. ...A mind like Water...

Cut an old drum head, just cut leaving an inch around the edge to keep the bearing edge part, then double stack the mesh head on top of that so the edges touch the smooth mylar head, while the mesh head stays on top of the mylar portion.
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

5. Registered User

I had remo silentstroke mesh heads on my last kit with no damage to the bearing edges. They were on there for a year. I too live in a townhouse. Having said that, I’m switching to the RTOM Black holes on the new kit when it arrives for ease of use.
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 03-05-2020 at 01:19 AM.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    I had remo silentstroke mesh heads on my last kit with no damage of the bearing edges. They were on there for a year.
    Same here, for over a year and had zero issues.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

7. Registered User

I seriously doubt they'd cause any damage. The head will be transferring very little energy to the bearing edge because the structure of a mesh head is completely different from a mylar drumhead. A mylar head is of solid, continuous construction, allowing an even transfer of energy with little resistance. Mesh heads are woven and dense and the energy created when the drum is struck will dissipate long before it reaches the edge of the drum.

If you can find anyone with actual proof their bearing edges showed visible wear, or that dust accumulated on the resonant head or in the mesh on the batter bearing edge, I'll Paypal you the cost of a roll of gaffer tape to cover your edges with.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

8. *new noise*

I had remo silentstroke mesh heads on my last kit with no damage of the bearing edges. They were on there for a year. I too live in a townhouse. Having said that, I’m switching to the RTOM Black holes on the new kit when it arrives for ease of use.
    P&PGuy.... the RTOM black holes are EXACTLY the solution I need. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!!

Thanks to everyone else that chimed in that I shouldn't worry about mesh heads, either. But, as someone who will still use my main kit for occasional gigging, this is going to save me a lot of time from installing/removing mesh and regular drum heads.

This community is the best.

/thread

C&C Custom Drums | Pearl Snare Drum(s) | Zildjian Cymbals | Pearl Eliminators | DW Hardware

9. th droids yerlookn4

I had remo silentstroke mesh heads on my last kit with no damage to the bearing edges. They were on there for a year. I too live in a townhouse. Having said that, I’m switching to the RTOM Black holes on the new kit when it arrives for ease of use.
    this