Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default New Pearl Export Owner

Hi all,

I have recently returned to drumming after a far too long hiatus (did not know how much I missed playing until I started playing again!). However, I must say that I feel almost like I never played before. I am that rusty.

Regardless, I have a Vintage Niles Slingerland set that has been stored for some time, which I brought out to start playing again. It is in decent shape, but is starting to need some refurb (a few inner ply cracks showing up and some of the wraps are showing their age).

I decided to put the Slingerlands on my project list to refurb and started a search for a (not too expensive) set to play while that project is going on.

I found a Pearl Export Fusion complete set in Wine Red with hardware, stands, (inexpensive) cymbals and hi-hat, plus some other goodies like a tambourine with mount, cowbell with mount, block with mount, sticks, mallets, cymbal bag and so on. They had been stored for a few years in a garage, so the chrome isn't perfect, but the shells are in great shape as are the stands and most of the hardware. I have mainly Pearl stands and hardware with my Slingerland set and good cymbals, pedals, and hi-hat, so I can make a solid set between the two sets of parts and pieces.

So far, I have been disassembling and cleaning. I have just the bass drum and some stands left to clean up and then I will be able to set it up and start tuning and then play it.

I ordered heads for the toms (Evans coated G2 batters, G1 clear resos) and had to buy hoops for the snare as I could not save them. Just too pitted and rusted in some areas. I might have to buy a strainer as well because it was getting bad. I haven't read much good about the Export snare, but I have the COB Slingerland I can drop in if I do not like the Pearl. I must say that I have been wanting a wood snare for some time though.

The chrome mainly cleaned up using my fav metal polish, Brasso, and while it looks bright and shiny now, there are a lot of minor pits here are there that do not polish out, so I am going to do my best to forget about them and enjoy playing the set (more than a little OCD here and I like my stuff to be as clean as possible).

I have always thought that the Exports sounded pretty good for the price point, and the Pearl stands and hardware (ISS on this set) have always been the go-to as it is solid and reliable for a reasonable price. The Slingerland triple chrome puts the pearl chrome to shame, however (I know, the Slingerlands would compare to a more expensive Pearl line than the Exports).

I paid $300 for the set, which I though was fair. The 26 year old owner left them at Mom's when he moved out some years back and I did not feel like trying to play hardball on the price with her (she was a nice lady), plus given all the hardware that was included and the condition of the shells, it seemed like a decent deal.

I will post some pics once I get them setup, but they have the gold colored badges, and as best I can tell, are probably early 2000's .

I am excited to play them!

2. A Passion Play ...

Welcome to the Forum. Also welcome back to
    the drums. Looking forward to seeing your kit.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. A Passion Play ...

Looking forward to seeing those Exports.
    Be sure to post in the show us your kits
    section also.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Looking forward to seeing those Exports.
    Be sure to post in the show us your kits
    section also.
    Squeezed into the garage at the moment. Not a ton of room (too many bicycles, a '68 Corvette roadster project and so on...).

Missing one crash as I am waiting for a boom arm to mount off the tom mounts in the center. The cymbals are all ones I already owned, as is the bass pedal (Camco, I have a DW7000, but it feels heavy to me) and the hi-hat stand (Premier) and the throne (Pearl). I have yet to try the cymbal set it came with or the Hi-hat stand (Pearl, a bit rusty), but I do not expect much from them.

The Export snare is every bit as bad as I had heard, but I enjoy a challenge so I will work on that when I have more time. I am sure that there is only so much that can be done with it, however.

Started tuning, but the new bottom heads I ordered were damaged in shipment, so that will have to continue next weekend (the drums are in my house in Nevada which I do not stay in full time right now).

Name:  IMG_20200229_171458.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20200229_171630.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  86.6 KB

5. Vintage 1968

I giged my Exports for years. Actually used them on my last gig instead of my Masters because of volume issues at practice. They are great drums.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    I giged my Exports for years. Actually used them on my last gig instead of my Masters because of volume issues at practice. They are great drums.
    No gigs in my future, just a lot of work getting back speed and dexterity and a lot of enjoyment.

7. A Passion Play ...

Thanks for the pics. Sweet rig.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Thanks for the pics. Sweet rig.
    Thx.

I am still getting used to the hanging Tom. Have to remind myself not to push off of it or lean on it like I do with a floor tom. Took a lot more fiddling to get the ride and hanging tom positioned close to what I would do with a floor tom and a ride cymbal on an independent stand.

9. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy58 View Post
    No gigs in my future, just a lot of work getting back speed and dexterity and a lot of enjoyment.
    You'd be surprised.
    I gave up gigging years ago but I still get offers. I even played a Bollywood show as a one-off show for a convention a few years back. I don't play that much these days, but I went on a road trip this weekend with a friend from work and he wants to get back into the music making business. Just getting together and jamming.
    I'm game!

10. 1, 2, 3, Hit It!

Welcome to the Pearl Drummers Forum OldGuy58!

That's a great looking Pearl Export Fusion kit in wonderful Wine Red.
    Kevin

Pearl Masters Custom Extra MRX - 5 Piece Maple Kit
    Midnight Fade, Chrome Hardware
    Matching Snare: 14x6.5 Toms: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 (FT) Bass: 22x18
    Cymbals: Paiste Signatures & 2oo2s

Proud member of the Masters Army <<<Click to join today!

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Diamond View Post
    Welcome to the Pearl Drummers Forum OldGuy58!

That's a great looking Pearl Export Fusion kit in wonderful Wine Red.
    Thank you.

I think I bought it just in time as had it spent much more time in the damp garage, it would not have been worth salvaging. It is still in a garage, but one located in the desert with low humidity.

Bring it back is turning out to be sort of therapeutic for me.