Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Drumming Since 1943

Aftermarket.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. Skeld-the -wicked

Wow ! It’s a shame to see drums abused like this!
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    Pearl Masters Premium MRP 14x5.5 snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

3. 1, 2, 3, Hit It!

Sorry this kit didn’t work out for you Marty.

It’s sad to see a Masters Custom Extra MRX kit in such a sorry state. The 6 ply maple MRX is normally an amazing kit. Whoever owned this kit before hopefully got plenty of use from it, but did a real disservice to its legacy by leaving it in the condition it’s in.

Maybe someone somewhere will be able to put in both the time and resources needed to restore it to is former glory.
    Kevin

Pearl Masters Custom Extra MRX - 5 Piece Maple Kit
    Midnight Fade, Chrome Hardware
    Matching Snare: 14x6.5 Toms: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 (FT) Bass: 22x18
    Cymbals: Paiste Signatures & 2oo2s

Proud member of the Masters Army <<<Click to join today!

4. Registered User

It'd be cool to have a Masters kit. But not this one.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    It'd be cool to have a Masters kit. But not this one. YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHue-HaXXzg

Lol! So what do you guys think about the $300 option. Where I tell them " I'll give you $300!"

6. I has metal

Honestly I think you're farther ahead with your sessions.
    Essentially the same shell, hoops, better mounts, not beat up.
    I'd keep shopping.
    Pearl - Gretsch - Tama - Zildjian - Sabian - Paiste - Dream - Wuhan - Remo - Evans - Vater

7. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Wouldn't even offer $300; maybe $100-$150 at most. If you are going to replace lugs, rods, hoops, heads, spurs, brackets, etc with proper Pearl parts, your restoration costs are going to escalate quickly, and you still have the scuffs and scratches in the shells to remind you of the whole ordeal. If you're looking for a project, then that's your call, but $300 still seems a bit too much to pay for a kit in that condition.

Did you play the kit at all? If so, were you happy with the sound? I personally prefer the 4-ply MMX shells w re-rings over the 6 ply MRX, but it's your ears that matter since it's your money. If it still sounds good and you are willing to put in the work to bring 'em back, see what kind of a deal you can strike.

Good Luck!

8. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    So on top of the wrong lugs , which would be $120 to replace without shipping and handling, there's no vent grommet, a bunch of the swivel nuts are stripped, all six floor tom legs are to the point of stripped, both bass drum spurs are stripped and they've been beat to pieces and there only a few heads that aren't garbage so those would ALL need to go right away. All the chrome screws would have to go to.

Now this was a " I seen it on GC website at my local GC. I asked some questions and waited a few hours, called them and put the kit on my cars. Went over 2 days later and picked them up. I have them a decent inspection there and they were a little more banged up than I wanted. But over all the toms weren't bad. The floor tom brackets held but when I got them home and was really able to check them out...if you push down on the floor tom with the nut completely tight, the leg will slide right through. I didn't notice the diff lugs on the kick because the top ones all match. Etc etc.

In conclusion I will return them for a full refund because I really don't want to put more money and two tons of effort getting these things right. Or....OR .... I'm gonna offer them $300 on them and tell them " you guys got ripped off but I can't afford to. They're already paid for and out of their inventory so maybe they do it just to save face. We will see! It's a shame this kit is in this condition.

There isn't even any yellowing to the white. Which I'm not sure if the white lacquer yellows but...

To be continued!
    Wow. If you want to see what the set you THOUGHT you were buying looks like, check out my MMX set in my signature.
    Name:  Pearl MMX.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  68.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    holy cluster-fu$% ... return that sh#t .. it's an MRX and there way too many issues going on with kit .. what a joke .. whoever put this kit together/owned it, is a complete moron and so is the GC inspection/description team.
    It looks like it was used for parts, and then scabbed together to sell.

Exactly. Makes me realize how good of care I take of my kits. I'm picky about the dings and scratches on my Session kit and I didn't put the damage on them.

I've mentioned here before that the guy I bought my Yellow Flash exports from done more damage to that kit in a year or two than I did in almost 30.
    I have a lot of respect for a musician who takes care of their stuff. I'm sure we all have seen the guys who don't take care of their stuff and then want to play ours.

Lol! So what do you guys think about the $300 option. Where I tell them " I'll give you $300!"
    Yeah, I'd pass. You'll end up with a set that you just don't like. Unless you were going to donate it to a music program (which I'm sure AL would send you a bass drum head WITHOUT the Pearl logo on it. ) I can't see you being happy with this set.

9. Registered User

Thanks for all the input on the kit guys. I'm returning it Friday for a full refund.

10. Gash

I'd go with the Session Customs. Great finish.
    up yours

Pearl MMX Emerald Mist - 20/12/15 - MMX 5.5x14 snare - Sensitone Power Piccolo brass snare 5.5x13 - Bosphorus cymbals - Tama hardware

11. Registered User

I returned the masters kit. I showed the kid the problems with it. He was a nice young man. Hopefully he won't take abuse for the go ahead on that kit. He told me he was the one that ok'd the purchase price. I'm guessing they gave $350/$400 for it. Sad that kit was so abused. Thanks guys for all the help and opinions.