Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. The Sensitone Guy

Default Quitting Drumming For A While

I haven't touched a drum stick in almost a year. Sold all my kits but one (Pearl MCX), quit my band.

Reason: In the next 6 to 12 months I'm planning to downsize, quit my high stress management job and retire early.

I will keep you posted.

2. Registered User

Good Luck Pal
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I haven't touched a drum stick in almost a year. Sold all my kits but one (Pearl MCX), quit my band.

Reason: In the next 6 to 12 months I'm planning to downsize, quit my high stress management job and retire early.

I will keep you posted.
    I had a good two year run where I didn't touch a stick due to an injury. The time away actually really helped me rediscover my passion for the instrument.

Breaks aren't all bad, and if you're taking steps to improve your overall quality of life that's all that matters. Best of luck to you.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post

I will keep you posted.
    How did your band take it? If I recall, you guys were really close. Particularly you and the bass player.

Good luck with this next step! My parents retired to central Arkansas two years ago and it's been the best thing they've ever done. They'd lived in Houston for the previous forty years, so living on a trout river in a town with a population of 7,000 was about as big a change of pace as there is.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

5. The Sensitone Guy

The bass player and I are still real close. Nothing changed that. Quitting the wasn't a huge surprise. They all knew my crazy work schedule was making things very difficult.

6. A Passion Play ...

All the best for you my friend. Be happy and stress free.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

7. Registered User

There's nothing wrong with simplifying your life. Congrats and enjoy. Hope you find time to drum if you feel like it.

8. The Sensitone Guy

Thanks guys. Next year at this time I plan to be retired and crazy busy with various music projects! I'll keep you posted.

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Where are you going to move in order to stretch out your money? It seems anymore to have any sort of security, that’s what is needed. Make your money in area where they pay a lot for something you do and move somewhere where everything you buy is a lot less.

My friend who practices Muy Thai says he’s moving to Thailand when he retires. What would be a $2500 apartment in Manhattan will be $300 three, right near a gym that he has been to many times.

10. Spirit WARS inside..

Health issues have forced me into a similar situation.. I didn't plan on coming back, but it's in out DNA. The passing of Neil Peart re-energized me to pick up sticks again. Take care of yourself.
    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
    CDA MEMBER since 2006

11. Rockin' the Cosmos..

gotta do what ya gotta do Andy .. best of luck

12. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygates View Post
    Health issues have forced me into a similar situation.. I didn't plan on coming back, but it's in out DNA. The passing of Neil Peart re-energized me to pick up sticks again. Take care of yourself.

i'm in the exact same boat. however ,i now start to see the light at the end of the tunnel ;my second, up and coming spine surgery is set in 7 weeks,seems like this one is going to get me rid of the dead legs i'm having to live with since my 1st operation, which fix'ed my spine problems 100%,but instilled some unwanted side effects. i haven't touched my sticks since over a year,and i'm fine with it,knowing that when everything will get back in line ,the will to play is gonna get back in 6th gear.it is what it is ; it's unbelievable how health troubles can redefine people's life on a day by day basis .
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes