Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Pearl 8 lug snares?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to Pearl snares and am hoping to learn from the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

I picked up a Free Floating Maple 14x6.5 last year and it's one of the best snares I've ever played! My experience with it inspired me to acquire a Custom Alloy 8 lug Sensitone. The Sensitone is my first ever eight lug snare and despite its reputation as an entry level drum, I'm finding I can get a pretty decent tone out of it and I love the feel of the lower tension surface. This brings me to my questions:

1. Has Pearl ever made an 8 lug Sensitone Elite?

2. Has Pearl ever made any midline or "pro" level 8 lug snares?

I'm just wondering what else is out there. I'd be interested in trying an 8 lug aluminum or brass model, but not sure what to look for.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Quinn70; 02-14-2020 at 08:19 PM.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn70 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm new to Pearl snares and am hoping to learn from the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

I picked up a Free Floating Maple 14x6.5 last year and it's one of the best snares I've ever played! My experience with it inspired me to acquire a Custom Alloy 8 lug Sensitone. The Sensitone is my first ever eight lug snare and despite its reputation as an entry level drum, I'm finding I can get a pretty decent tone out of it and I love the feel of the lower tension surface. This brings me to my questions:

I'm just wondering what else is out there. I'd be interested in trying an 8 lug aluminum or brass model, but not sure what to look for.

Thanks!
    The Pearl website has current and back catalogs to view and download.

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    The Pearl website has current and back catalogs to view and download.
    Here is the 2020 catalog... https://pearldrum.com/support/produc...al-catalog.pdf

Here is the 2019 catalog... https://pearldrum.com/support/produc...al-catalog.pdf

Here is the 2018 catalog... https://pearldrum.com/support/produc...al-catalog.pdf

... and more can be found here... https://pearldrum.com/support/product-catalogs/
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Registered User

Thanks!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn70 View Post
    Hi everybody,

Thanks!
    Hi,

The Sensitone snare drums have 10 lugs because they are not targeted toward the entry level market (like the Modern Utility). However, you can get a good sound out of either one.

Using less lugs and tension rods keeps the price point lower and also allows them to use the cheaper 1.6mm hoops on a 14" drum.

I have a 15" Masterworks snare drum with 8 lugs and it sounds fine. The reason it has 8-lugs is because I use customized Fat Tone hoops with it. Those hoops are not available with 10 lugs in the 15" size.

If you like the sound of the 8-lug Modern Utility snare drum, then I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

6. Gash

The 5.5x13 Sensitone brass power piccolo has 8 lugs.

It's a mighty snare.
    up yours

Pearl MMX Emerald Mist - 20/12/15 - MMX 5.5x14 snare - Sensitone Power Piccolo brass snare 5.5x13 - Bosphorus cymbals - Tama hardware

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Styles View Post
    The 5.5x13 Sensitone brass power piccolo has 8 lugs.

It's a mighty snare.
    Yes, I have one of those too (and the steel version).

8. Registered User

ever played a Pearl session SMX it is 8 lug
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

9. The Sensitone Guy

My Pearl limited edition steel snare has 8 lugs. It's a 7" x 13" model. All my other Sensitones are 10-lug models.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    My Pearl limited edition steel snare has 8 lugs. It's a 7" x 13" model. All my other Sensitones are 10-lug models.
    Yes, from perusing the catalogs, it appears that it's mainly just the 13" snares that have 8 lugs. I'm going to attempt to find one locally to try.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

11. Experienced Noob

The Pearl Toshi Nagai hammered copper snare had 8 lugs. I have 1 and it is a VERY nice drum and not meant to be entry level. Here is a picture I got from the internet. It was easier to do that than dig out mine to take a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    The Pearl Toshi Nagai hammered copper snare had 8 lugs. I have 1 and it is a VERY nice drum and not meant to be entry level. Here is a picture I got from the internet. It was easier to do that than dig out mine to take a picture.
    Great looking snare drum.

I wish Pearl still offered the glossy or hammered copper shells.