Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Rogue Ex-Mod

I've always preferred floor toms with legs. I like my floor toms to be 14x14 or 16x16. I feel like I get better resonance and sound out of those and it's easier to position them when they don't have to hang off a cymbal stand or a have a huge tripod stand attached to them.

I used a high end Yamaha kit when I was in college and it had hanging 14" and 16" toms and eventually the hardware broke and the mount in the 16" tom started to tear out of the side of the drum. I think it's just too much weight to have it hanging like that and I hate having bouncy floor toms.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    I've always preferred floor toms with legs. I like my floor toms to be 14x14 or 16x16. I feel like I get better resonance and sound out of those and it's easier to position them when they don't have to hang off a cymbal stand or a have a huge tripod stand attached to them.
    I agree. I would never go back to "hanging" larger drums. My 14x12 and 16x14 are floor toms.

I've also starting using an auxiliary "floor snare" with my kit for the same reason. Positioning and stability are better with the legs installed.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

3. Drummer since 1963

About 10 years ago I bought a 6pc EXR kit off of GC's Used Gear listings. It came with a hanging 14 and I added hanging 16 I found on Ebay. I installed leg brackets on both. Ended up loving the short ft's on legs. I wish the floor toms on my new Session Select kit were short although even with square dimensions they sound impossible. The shorter ft's might sound better but I don't see how. Visually though the kit would have a more balanced look if the floor toms were hanging dimensions on legs since the mounted toms are shorter.
    Here's that EXR kit. I sort of wish I never sold them. The short ft's on legs and the unique factory Danmar wrap that was only used on Exports for a year before they were discontinued before the gap in-between the China Exports. The wrap ended up on Vision series kits. Guess that's how they used up the supply.

4. old dog, new tricks

I've had 14" and 16" hanging floor toms in the past and I liked how they played in terms of a bit of movement, but a floor tom with legs is easier to position.

The nice thing is, you can go either way pretty easily with hardware options now.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

5. Purple Crazed

I prefer hanging 14" and 16" toms with multiple pedals since there are no floor tom legs to get in the way. I never had any problems with their movement or mount strength.
    However when using only single right foot pedal, I use a 14" floor tom.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

6. Registered User

My floor toms by kit, in order have been.

16" - 16" 18" -14" hanging - 16" - 16" - 14" 16" -16".

I liked the ease of the 14" hanging floor but honestly after having the 9 piece power tom kit with the 16" 18" FT's the 14" hanging tom was just like my 14" power tom.

Over all I think my favorite for sound and tuning is the 14" FT MCX. The 18" was fun thunder but was kind of a pain.

7. Music Lover

I prefer floor toms due to positioning. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AAX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

8. The Sensitone Guy

I prefer legged floor,toms for ease of positioning and stability. Mounted 14" and 16" bounced too much for my taste.

9. *new noise*

I have my 14x12 and 16x14 floor toms sharing a stand, with my china cymbal. I don't find them as bouncy as other members have posted, which might be due to differences in my setup and tom weights. There's a little bit too much sustain behind the kit, for my liking.

BUT for studio usage, they sound fantastic and I can always add muffling to them. Whereas on legs, I wouldn't be able to add sustain as easily (if at all).
    The biggest benefits of mounted floor toms are apparent during gigs, since setup just requires me to mount and lock them to a very stable stand. With legged floor toms, I'd need to worry about leg setup, placing them correctly and worry about them sliding on ragged stage rugs. Also, mounted floor toms don't require sizing up in drum cases and saves a tiny bit more space in my car.

All in all, I'd say the pros outweigh the cons.

Looking to trade my 20" K Custom Ride and 13" A Custom Mastersound Hi Hats. PM me if you're interested.

10. Living Legend

I've used both and prefer floor toms with legs. Found them to be sturdier and easier to position. If I'm sharing a backline kit and it has hanging floor toms it doesn't bother me though, cause if its good enough for Gadd then its good with me
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I've used both and prefer floor toms with legs. Found them to be sturdier and easier to position. If I'm sharing a backline kit and it has hanging floor toms it doesn't bother me though, cause if its good enough for Gadd then its good with me
    It was good enough for Steve Gadd . Heís now using legs on his floor toms. Iím sure heís using whatever Yamaha is promoting on there high end drums at the time. Heís one of my favorite drummers as well. Iíve used both and prefer legs for the same reasons as you. Tom arms have a sag factor and can be tricky to get the drums set where you want them. Most tom legs come with memory locks, or you can easily purchase them. I color code each tom leg to its bracket with a small piece of colored tape. I can have a floor tom set up in about a minute.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals