Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Stave drums and stave drum sounds

Hey I'm new to the site, but one thing i have always been curious about is how different are stave drum's sound dynamics compared to the normal ply drums? And if anyone can post maybe a link towards a video or audio clip I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Is this Illidan?

This entirely depends on the construction of the stave vs. the ply drum that you are talking about. For example: A paduak stave will sound different from a maple ply snare because the woods are different. Then you get into bearing edges, number of plies vs. thickness of staves, how many staves you've used, etc.

There is some speculation that the stave snares have more 'wood tone' because there is less glue, or that they are more fragile because you are relying on the grain of the stave to be perfect, etc. Unfortunately sound is subjective so there really isn't any conclusive 'this sounds like this'. However, I can tell you that stave snares sound great if done properly and look amazing as well. I don't have a wenge/bubinga ply snare so I can't tell you if they sound similar or not, but I can say the stave snare I have sounds completely different from every other drum I own which are all ply drums. This could be attributed to the stave snare being thicker shelled, having different bearing edges, or the woods being different. All in all, you'll have to make the decision based on what you are looking for in a snare.

3. Registered User

i plan on making or just putting in an order to joshua Tree Percussion to making either a Hard Rock Maple stave set, or a bubinga set. One thing I thought about when it comes to the construction is that since each drum is made from solid wood planks, I think it would make the drum a lot more rigid and probably stronger. But this is something everyone debates and I honestly don't know completely. Although when using each different method to make the drum there will always be pros and cons. I personally think stave would last longer compared to ply drums just because of some different factors in construction. Its just my opinion but since the wood used in stave drum are thicker i would think that the drum wouldn't come out of round compared to a ply drum, or the bearing edges would last longer. And you have more selection with the different types of woods being used. The only problem I come up with is how much wood i would use to make per drum, and the dimensions of each stave for the set size of the drum being built. In the end IL either have a project on my hands, or just let a professional make me a set. If anyone can give me any advice it would nice to hear

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofthegods86 View Post
    ... One thing I thought about when it comes to the construction is that since each drum is made from solid wood planks, I think it would make the drum a lot more rigid and probably stronger. But this is something everyone debates ..... Its just my opinion but since the wood used in stave drum are thicker i would think that the drum wouldn't come out of round compared to a ply drum, or the bearing edges would last longer. ...
    I understand you reasoning, but I think it let you to the wrong conclusion. Stave drums can be more brittle than ply drums beause they can crack along the grain, whereas with ply drums the grains of different plies criss/cross. Hence the reason that stave drums are generally thick-walled, whereas you can get thick or thin ply drums. The thinnest stave drum that any reputable drum maker will make is thicker than the thinnest ply drum you can buy. And yes, you are right that a thick walled drum will be less likely to go out of round, but that applies equally whether thick ply or thick stave. All that said, I have had no problems, and while I do take care of my equipment e.g. when transporting, I don't hold back when playing.

Re the sound: I agreee with Gord: Sounds differnt to regular ply snares, but hard to tell exactly what the cause is because there are so many different factors: thickness, bearing edge shape, wood type, etc. But having said all that, I love the sound of my stave (and segment) drums. To me, much purer sound.

5. Is this Illidan?

Stave drums can be more brittle than ply drums beause they can crack along the grain, whereas with ply drums the grains of different plies criss/cross.
    I'll quote this for emphasis. It isn't to say that the drums are going to deteriorate in your hands, but the reality is that with any natural product unless the growing conditions were ideal and there were no issues with the plant (tree) while it was growing there is the possibility that the wood will crack. There are lots of ways to minimize the risk of this happening, but it is a reality.

Ply drums do not suffer from this as there is more glue and it bakes into the wood, when it dries it hardens up and adds some of its strength to the wood.

I personally think stave would last longer compared to ply drums just because of some different factors in construction.
    Again, not so sure about longevity. This really depends on care and environment. If you live somewhere where the wood dries out too fast, then a stave is very likely to crack. If it is finished in such a way that it dries very slowly, then you should be fine.

There are just so many factors it really isn't as easy as "Stave vs. Ply".

putting in an order to joshua Tree Percussion
    I actually had them make up my snare shell. Bearing edges are fantastic and the wood was amazing. These guys really know their stuff.

6. Registered User

Thanks guys for the posts, I totally agree with the brittleness of the vertical grains of the wood when it comes to the stave construction. Although one thing that came to mind was the choice of wood would definitely effect the out come of the drums durability. I like ply drums I just would like a more thicker kit even as thick as the 11mm ply drums or even thicker. If anyone give any more advice it would be very appreciated.

7. Is this Illidan?

As a follow up question then: Why do you want thicker shells on your drums? Is it a preference thing or a sound thing? If it is for sound - what sound are you thinking/hoping this will achieve? If it is preference - Why?

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofthegods86 View Post
    .... I totally agree with the brittleness of the vertical grains of the wood when it comes to the stave construction.....
    Perhaps I used the wrong word. "Brittle" conveys the impression that they will crack with the slightest man-handling. They are slightly more prone to crack, but you would have to really man-handle them for that to happen.

9. Registered User

It's a preference thing I have played a variety of drums ranging in different woods, thicknesses, bearing edges, and heads. I like thicker snare drums and bass drums and medium thickness toms and thinner floor toms. And The brittle thing I got what you were talking about its just when talking about wood Vertical grains can be weaker. But I a lot probably has to do with the wood used, quality of construction, and probably most important how well I take care of the drums. I would just be worried about accidentally hitting the bearing edge and cracking the grain of the wood and causing major problems. Another Note When I thought about making a stave drum set I wanted to make it out of Hard Rock Maple or Bubinga both Great but I'd prefer the Bubinga. If anyone has stave drums or has any problems with stave drums post your opinions they will not go unheard.

10. Registered User

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was looking at some stave snare videos and as a woodworker I could pretty easily make one out of some really nice hardwood. But, I have to ask myself if it would actually sound better than the cheap metal snare I have. Going to a thick stave snare seems in far contrast from one of the thin walled metal snares that are pretty common. It doesn't seem like thick wood would have much resonance and you'd end up mainly hearing just the heads. I'm totally guessing, though. Has anyone been able to compare a metal vs plywood vs thick plywood or stave type drum? If the stave drums inherently sound better I might take a stab at building one but they are worse or only marginally better and just aesthetically pleasing to the eye then I won't waste my time.

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was looking at some stave snare videos and as a woodworker I could pretty easily make one out of some really nice hardwood. But, I have to ask myself if it would actually sound better than the cheap metal snare I have. Going to a thick stave snare seems in far contrast from one of the thin walled metal snares that are pretty common. It doesn't seem like thick wood would have much resonance and you'd end up mainly hearing just the heads. I'm totally guessing, though. Has anyone been able to compare a metal vs plywood vs thick plywood or stave type drum? If the stave drums inherently sound better I might take a stab at building one but they are worse or only marginally better and just aesthetically pleasing to the eye then I won't waste my time.
    They don't necessarily sound "better" to everyone, just different. A snare with a thin metal shell can tend to have much more than pleasant resonance... it can have an odd, twangy sound that needs to be dampened with all sorts of methods (special heads, tape, moon gel, drum dots, etc.). A thin-walled stave shell can sound beautiful. They might be "easy" to make for some people, but you could always improve on your craftsmanship. Also, strive for the thinnest stave shell you can create. The successful wood-workers who make these can make them as thin as 3/8" thick, throughout the entire shell, OR 1/4" thick in the middle, with 1/2" integrated re-rings on each end, for durability. See if you can do that (I don't think those tolerances are "easy" to achieve, while ending up with a quality product).
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    You are looking for this: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

Forum member Jeff built a Stave kit:
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...post1854456047

With the man himself playing his set:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgD...ature=youtu.be