Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Percussion Czar

Default 14" and 16" on the floor or mounted? What's your preference and why?

I bought an Export Select new back in 2004. It was the "fusion" setup of that era...10/12/14/22 with the 14" being a mounted tom. I haven't gone back to a traditional floor tom since, even having a 16" mounted tom on my old VBX kit! I love the compactness and ease of transport of mounted "floor" toms. Sure, they aren't quite as deep, but I've never had issues tuning them as low as I want to go. The shorter sizes also seem to blend better with the upper toms in terms of attack and decay. What are your thoughts?
    Micro Kit: (Lava Red ECX) - 10x8, 13x10, 16x16 w/ Optimounts & Die Cast Hoops
    Snares: (Natural Maple) 10x6, (Amber Maple) 12x7
    Sabian Cymbals / LP Percussion / Pro Mark Sticks & Mallets / Evans Heads

2. Comrade Tim

I always found that mounted "floors" that size tended to bounce some...maybe it's just me but standard floors are the way I go....My older sessions have one of each.

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

3. Registered User

phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.

All three of my kits are mounted floor toms. I have nothing against regular floor toms, it’s just how it worked out. When I was playing out there were a few smaller drum risers that I was able to let the hanging floor toms extend off the side of the riser to where standard floors wouldn’t have been able to give a little extra space. Definitely helped at times
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

4. Miles Gibbons

I've played some amazing sounding mounted toms, and agree with your comment about "blending" with rack toms, but I prefer the sound and feel of a floor tom on legs. I also think they are easier to position by a long shot, and require far less hardware - which can be especially problematic on small stages where the stand for your mounted floors is eating up someone else's real estate.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. a.k.a. YtseJam

All my toms are mounted, all the way down to the 18". Why? I like the uniform look, like the resonance, and last but not the least, it's easier to vacuum underneath.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    All my toms are mounted, all the way down to the 18". Why? I like the uniform look, like the resonance, and last but not the least, it's easier to vacuum underneath.
    Pics?
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

My SRX is a Fusion kit with not only 14" being mounted but the 16" too! I've since put legs on the 16" but the 14" remains mounted (to a Gibraltar stealth rack) using Optimounts.

I used to have the 12 and 14 mounted as side toms on the bass drum but positioning was, shall we say, less than optimum. Now its the 10 and 12.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

8. Totally Rad

Standard floors all the way, much more solid and don't have the extra hardware clutter. Not to mention bouncy toms are annoying. If you're worried about holes in the shells there is options to avoid them on standard floors.

9. Enjoy Every Sandwich

I don't own a set of Exports, but from my experience, my other Pearl (floor) toms sound and feel better with legs, rather than suspension mounts. Took the drill to Masters 14" and 16" floor toms and they sound so much more open vs having them on suspension mounts. It was a bit disconcerting putting drill to a drum shell, especially a lacquered one, but if done properly and carefully, it's not really that big of an issue. Still use Optis on the 10" and 12" rack toms as they don't seem to affect the sound as much. Both my session kits have the 14" FTs suspended and I am seriously considering putting them on legs. I could probably offset 1/2 the cost of legs and brackets by selling the Optimounts and likely improve the sound in the process.

10. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    and last but not the least, it's easier to vacuum underneath.
    haha .. the struggle of moving my floor toms out of way just to vacuum all the stick shavings and dust bunnies underneath takes less than a minute .. but I see your point

11. a.k.a. YtseJam

Less than a minute unless you have them all mic'ed up and all your mic cables are all tied neatly in a cluster which runs through the whole drumset left to right.

12. Rockin' the Cosmos..

ok .. maybe 5 minutes then