Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    282

    Default Drum Riser / Platform

    Hey All,

    I'm nearly done with an un-finishing of sorts in my basement. Carpet & jute is up and guy is coming in March to pour the gray epoxy flooring. I'm moving the art studio and drums down there after that. My question:

    Can anyone please advise on their experiences with creating or buying a shallow drum riser? I want the drums on something in the chance that water comes in. We have an intermittent problem area we are dealing with - let a small amount of water in about 4 times in the 10 years we have lived here.

    Any advice on what materials work best for a platform - what materials (products) are problematic?

    Oh also curious on some nifty ways folks store cymbals they aren't using but still have easy access to them just in case...

    TIA
    Last edited by Track12; 02-10-2020 at 01:08 PM.

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    149

    Default

    3/4" plywood and 2" rigid insulation:

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Nice clean platform Tommy D. Well done!
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

    United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    282

    Default

    I agree. Thanks for posting that Tommy D. Very nice and just what I was thinking of.

  5. Drum sales/service

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    238

    Default

    I built my riser with pieces of "dunnage rack" made by Structural Plastics. They're light, portable, and can easily support a heavy drumkit. I use 3 sections and clamp them together with simple spring clamps underneath. A little creative thinking at the hardware store resulted in pedal stops, which can easily be drilled into the plastic material. You can also remove or chop the legs if you don't need a 12" height, which I recently did.
    Information in the first link, retail site in the second:
    http://spcindustrial.com/dunnage.html#dr-g
    https://www.globalindustrial.com/g/s...c-dunnage-rack

    Name:  2017setup1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  145.9 KB
    Name:  0713181744.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  153.0 KB
    Last edited by PercWorld; 02-11-2020 at 08:11 PM.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Pearl EXX Electric Blue Sparkle

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    ^^^^^ That is one super clean live setup. I like it.

    My only suggestion would be a small drape over the front edge to hide the legs.

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Hey PercWorld,

    Thanks! That looks nice. So you just use these guys to clamp together underneath?



    Do the legs come off, so that I can just take the whole bunch over to the bandsaw to cut in half?

    Also, are the legs a solid plastic? I'm thinking about inserting some locking bed casters or simple locking rollers.

  8. Drum sales/service

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Hey PercWorld,
    Thanks! That looks nice. So you just use these guys to clamp together underneath?
    Do the legs come off, so that I can just take the whole bunch over to the bandsaw to cut in half?
    Also, are the legs a solid plastic? I'm thinking about inserting some locking bed casters or simple locking rollers.
    Yes, those spring clamps are exactly what I use, 3 per side.
    The legs are removable, and they're hollow so they're easy to saw through; I made quick work of it using a friend's mitre saw, but a band saw would work.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Pearl EXX Electric Blue Sparkle

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    79

    Default

    After my sump pump failed for the second time I built a riser/stage. 6 inches high. I also store another kit on my portable bucket riser (12" high)

    Pre flood with one kit on bucket riser. Miraculously I had put the other kit on top of Rubbermaid bins the night before the flood in preperation for a vacation the next week.:
    Name:  Kits with riser.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  56.3 KB

    6" platform/stage in process after flood:
    Name:  Riser.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  30.6 KB

    Finished with all drums/equipment 6 or more inches off of the floor:
    Name:  Drum Cave.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  66.5 KB
    Last edited by Rotarded; 02-16-2020 at 12:16 AM.

  10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    After my sump pump failed for the second time I built a riser/stage. 6 inches high. I also store another kit on my portable bucket riser (12" high)

    Pre flood with one kit on bucket riser. Miraculously I had put the other kit on top of Rubbermaid bins the night before the flood in preperation for a vacation the next week.:
    I like your entire room. Iím thinking of removing the carpet in my finished basement. I understand thereís flooring made just for it. Is what you have designed for basement use and if so, what did it cost you?

    Quote Originally Posted by PercWorld View Post
    I built my riser with pieces of "dunnage rack" made by Structural Plastics. They're light, portable, and can easily support a heavy drumkit. I use 3 sections and clamp them together with simple spring clamps underneath. A little creative thinking at the hardware store resulted in pedal stops, which can easily be drilled into the plastic material. You can also remove or chop the legs if you don't need a 12" height, which I recently did.
    Information in the first link, retail site in the second:
    http://spcindustrial.com/dunnage.html#dr-g
    That looks very clean and a simple solution, but the spacing on the flooring concerns me with things not fitting quite right and dropping something like a drum key and losing it through the holes.

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    79

    Default

    [QUOTE=dale w miller;1854459686]I like your entire room. I’m thinking of removing the carpet in my finished basement. I understand there’s flooring made just for it. Is what you have designed for basement use and if so, what did it cost you?


    It is simply wood look vinyl flooring planks with adhesive "tongue joints". It's cheap and can be had for 25 cents a sq ft. Installation was simple and quick.

    Name:  flooring.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  86.3 KB

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Also Dale, in case you’re interested, I’m having epoxy flooring poured - Concrete sealed, epoxy poured and final protective coat on top.

    It’s about 6k for 1900 sq ft.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •