Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Drummer since 1963

Default BLX Kit Sequoia Red- What to Do?

I just got 2 new kits, one new one used, and I still haven't sold off the 8pc Prestige Session kit yet. It's not like I need these drums. I had an MLX kit for about 12 years and I love the lacquer interior of the MLX and BLX series. The seller posted a close up of one of the toms. There is evidence of extremely minor pitting in the chrome, typical for that series, but just a hint of it. Asking price is $850 for this BLX kit 10, 12, 13, 16, 22, legs and tom mounts included. The 10 & 12 have R.I.M.S. mounting, the 13 is original through the shell. If they were maple I would say worth $850 but they are birch and the BLX were priced slightly below their MLX maple counterpart. I think I will make an unreasonably low offer, like $500 (hope that's not insulting), and go from there.
    I guess I would make this my practice kit. Too heavy for me to lug around. The Mapex kit is lightweight, perfect for jam nights, and the Session Select kit will be for regular gigs. It's also easily transported.
    When buying used off of the internet you have to be careful and look at the little things. What the most important thing in this photograph? Most drum listings I see where the drums are pictured in the driveway they are sitting on the bare concrete. This guy laid out a blanket. Speaks volumes. This is a well cared for kit!
    Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Ron Gerber; 02-08-2020 at 11:32 AM.

2. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Kit looks very nice. I've not owned a kit with those long lugs, but there have been numerous reports of them cracking over time. And, apparently, replacement lugs/parts are becoming more difficult to find.

$500 is probably a good starting point, maybe go up to $600 max during the negotiations, but I'd probably move on if they wanted more than that.

3. J-Con

Are you not loving your new Session Studio Select?

I couldn't be happier with mine...

4. Drummer since 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    Are you not loving your new Session Studio Select?

I couldn't be happier with mine...
    Totally loving the STS kit!
    I still have a soft spot though for those shells with the lacquer interiors. It's getting increasingly difficult to find that series in as good condition. Usually they come with pitting or other issues. I even saw one kit where someone sanded out the lacquer interior!!!

5. Drumming Since 1943

Dude! Buy it!
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

BLX are fantastic kits. Sequoia is the best finish also in my opinion. Just watch the long lugs as they are not of the best quality & are known to snap at the mounting points.
    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
    Premier Projector MK1. 12,13,16,22 in Piano Black
    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

7. Drummer since 1963

I sold my MLX kit not long after moving to Nashville 5 years ago. In the 12 years I owned them the long lugs never presented any problems other than pitting and that did not get any worse under my care. Although I didn't sell the kit to the guy who has them now I know him. Amazingly enough they ended up with him back in Chattanooga where he and I played a show together for like 6 months 10 years ago. I bought them in Florida from a seller near Nashville and moved to Chattanooga.
    As much as I'd like to have the BLX's I still haven't sold myself on buying them. I've been spending a ton lately. I have to tighten the reigns at some point. It did just occur to me the plan is to sell off the Prestige Session kit and I lost track of that. Okay, now I'm leaning in favor of again.

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    I sold my MLX kit not long after moving to Nashville 5 years ago. In the 12 years I owned them the long lugs never presented any problems other than pitting and that did not get any worse under my care. Although I didn't sell the kit to the guy who has them now I know him. Amazingly enough they ended up with him back in Chattanooga where he and I played a show together for like 6 months 10 years ago. I bought them in Florida from a seller near Nashville and moved to Chattanooga.
    As much as I'd like to have the BLX's I still haven't sold myself on buying them. I've been spending a ton lately. I have to tighten the reigns at some point. It did just occur to me the plan is to sell off the Prestige Session kit and I lost track of that. Okay, now I'm leaning in favor of again.
    Wow. Coast to coast in one post. Lol
    Way Too Much Crap